Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-06-2010, 09:52 AM

Lezyne Floor Pump....

I can't tell by the photos online.....do these basically have the same type of pump head as Silca pumps, no lever on them?
How do they compare to Silva's? I had a new Silva track pump, and I really didn't like it. If I didn't have the head tigt enough on the chuck, it flew off the valve while pumping. If I made it tight enough, it was a total bitch to get it back off....
Sooo...looking for a new pump...
Old 09-06-2010, 10:14 AM

Not sexy but I have a specialized pro and it has worked quite well for several years now.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:14 AM

I just bought the Topeak Joe Blow Pro. It seems really solid, easy to pump, nice gauge and it has a nice feature with the air release button.
Old 09-06-2010, 10:32 AM

I'm in the topeak camp too. tried the lezyne because folks raved about it. returned it cuz the head kept getting stuck on the stem.

got a topeak joe blow. much nice and easier. i'm actually liking it over my ole silca pump but it's nice to have a spare you can jsut have in the trunk for those days you're in a hurry and DOH.. you forgot to pump up the tires or something.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:17 AM
Back At It!

I have the Lezyne pump and the head is a screw on that works great, it reverses for schreader valves... I've never had a Silca, but I like my Lezyne much better than the Joe Blow I had... I liked the Joe BLow until the head quit working on me (twice)...
Old 09-06-2010, 11:31 AM

Been using my first Lezyne for about a month. This thing rocks.
Old 09-06-2010, 11:56 AM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roguedog
. returned it cuz the head kept getting stuck on the stem.

I get that every now and then on full-threaded stems... but overall, I still like the Lezyne
Old 09-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Viva Chamucos

To clarify: the Lezyne has a screw on thread. It only works on stems with a thread.

I experienced the same sticking problems for the first month before it broke in and it has been great ever since. Nice pump. Looks like it will last. I hope.
Old 09-06-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdbrye
I just bought the Topeak Joe Blow Pro. It seems really solid, easy to pump, nice gauge and it has a nice feature with the air release button.
been using for it for two years so far. no issues. works fast, works well. every time.
not sexy, but no excuse to replace it.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
To clarify: the Lezyne has a screw on thread. It only works on stems with a thread.

I experienced the same sticking problems for the first month before it broke in and it has been great ever since. Nice pump. Looks like it will last. I hope.
Only works as-is with threaded stems, but you can reverse the head and screw in a press-on chuck (mks, etc) for the odd time that doesn't work (I think that Lezyne is offering an adapter soon as well).
Old 09-06-2010, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz
To clarify, the pump threads onto the short length of threads at the tip of the presta valves. You don't need presta valves with threads all the way down to the rim/tube.

I thought the short length of threads was a presta standard?
Old 09-06-2010, 04:52 PM
Back At It!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassa
To clarify, the pump threads onto the short length of threads at the tip of the presta valves. You don't need presta valves with threads all the way down to the rim/tube.
that's what I was referring to above... I've only had issues with the stems that are threaded all the way down the stem...
Old 09-06-2010, 05:27 PM
Carbon-loving lifeform

Silca pump, ditch the head, replace with a Hirame, wince at the price, enjoy perfect pumping from then on and the oh so high quality feel of putting on and taking off the head. Smooth or threaded valves - does not matter. Ask for the Hirame for Christmas - they'll think you're crazy. Investigate hose clamps on the Web while you're waiting.

http://www.benscycle.net/index.php?m...acf3db7d481588

Topeak was good for a while but developed a leak where the hose enters the pump body. So did the replacement kit. I like the simple clampability of the Silca - there's no physical way for it to be a problem if you have the right hose clamp, and the world is full of hose clamps for tougher conditions than a bike pump ever sees.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:33 PM
Administrator

the lezyne head is why i got the pump in the first place. you just screw it onto the stem and pump, not pulling on anything, no risk of damage to the tube. the pump is fantastic and built to last. have no reservations about buying this masterpiece, it rocks!
Old 09-06-2010, 05:35 PM

can you use threadless tubes with the lezyne?

thanks!
Erik