Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-26-2010, 11:05 AM

Garmin Edge 800

I'm pretty happy with my Edge 500 (after the latest firmware update). Don't know if I need any extra functionality or even the touch screen of the 800. Kinda seems like it would be tough to use with full fingered gloves.

http://garmin.blogs.com/my_weblog/20...ng-easier.html

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/articl...e-review-27494
Old 08-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Classics Fan

If anything, it will hopefully reduce the prices of the rest of the Edge line up. Maybe I'll be able to afford the 705.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:43 AM

Garmin Edge 800

I have had the 705 since it came out. While all of the GPS features are nice, I really don't use them at all despite logging thousands of miles on my bike every year. The 500 seems like the way to go right now. While the 800 looks really cool, it seems to be all about the "prettiness" of the interface (bigger screen, everything in color, etc.). I am sure you can't go wrong no matter which one you get, but can't imagine you will lust for features on the 800 if you buy the 500.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:46 AM

I have the 500 and it is really more than I need right now and very happy with it except the battery. It doesn't seems to last long 2 or 3 of ride at the most.
Old 08-26-2010, 11:53 AM

Lots of info here:

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/
Old 08-26-2010, 12:05 PM
powered by red

I really wish that Garmin would create a device that has atleast 24 hours of battery life.

Looks great for people who just want to go out and ride and explore.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:13 PM
Classics Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastRoadie
I have had the 705 since it came out. While all of the GPS features are nice, I really don't use them at all despite logging thousands of miles on my bike every year. The 500 seems like the way to go right now. While the 800 looks really cool, it seems to be all about the "prettiness" of the interface (bigger screen, everything in color, etc.). I am sure you can't go wrong no matter which one you get, but can't imagine you will lust for features on the 800 if you buy the 500.

I tend to agree with you if you know the roads you ride pretty well. I can tell you (being a temporary resident of the fine state of Washington), the 705 would be damn useful to plan routes and download the routes the locals use.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:30 PM

Opposite reaction

I guess I don't care too much about the training features. I can estimate my heart rate pretty well from how hard I'm breathing.

The best thing about the 705 is the ability to explore new areas without getting lost or wasting time to stop and study the map. Also, if you're into randonneuring, you can mostly put aay the cue sheet. The next best thing is the barometric altimeter so you get a good estimate of your suffering in vertical feet.

I'd be happy with a unit with the 705 mapping and the barometric altimeter but without the fitness extras.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:44 PM

I am happy to see that Garmin has now added satellite imagery. I purchased a DeLorme unit for this purpose and while I was pleased with the images, I was very disappointed with the battery life and readability of the text. When my current Edge 605 dies again - I'll probably pick one of these up.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:36 PM

I think the 705 is great

I love my 705. The training features are excellent as it pairs with my power meter and I can create then upload interval workouts in Garmin Training Center and download results into WKO+. The fact that I can run an interval workout without having to touch a button, except the start button, is a super nice feature. The ability to program so many data screens (power, heart rate, speed, cadence, time, lap average power, max power) lets me see how badly I suck in multiple ways in real time on the bike.

The mapping to me is also super functional and one of the best features. When my wife and I have travelled with our bikes to places we have never been before, I have mapped out routes in both MapSourse and on ridewithgps.com and downloaded them onto the 705. It works really well. Plus, if you want to deviate from the plotted route because you see a nice road you want to explore, the unit recalculates to get you back on track. We also use it driving in the rental car and walking around cities as well.

My experience is that both the fitness, mapping, uploading and downloading features of the 705 work really well. I am always surprised at people’s complaints that it is not functional or it is too big and clunky to have on their stem.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:41 PM

I wonder if the screen is anything like the one on the Oregon series. It looked nice but was quite dim in full sunlight. Adding the touch screen degrades the optical quality, so it will be interesting to see how this unit performs. I am quite happy with my 500 now that the firmware patch has fixed the locking up "feature".
Old 08-27-2010, 06:42 AM
This space left blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtb_frk
I wonder if the screen is anything like the one on the Oregon series. It looked nice but was quite dim in full sunlight. Adding the touch screen degrades the optical quality, so it will be interesting to see how this unit performs. I am quite happy with my 500 now that the firmware patch has fixed the locking up "feature".
Are you having similar battery life as norcalbiker reports? I've been eyeing a 500 to use with a power meter but if the battery life is only 2-3 hours, that's a non starter. Plenty of 4-6 hour rides during the year.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:13 AM

battery

Before recharging I typically have a 5-6 hour ride and a couple more 90-120 minutes rides and still be around 40-50% battery. No power meter in use, just heart rate, cadence and speed.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:18 AM
Law Bomb

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=30926

Not sure if it displays speed though.

Edit: Yes it does, and odometer apparently. I just looked at the screen shots.

BL

Quote:
Originally Posted by roydyates
I'd be happy with a unit with the 705 mapping and the barometric altimeter but without the fitness extras.

Last edited by Bob Loblaw; 08-27-2010 at 07:20 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 08:04 AM

I can't speak to battery life of the 500, but the 705 consistently gives me 10-12 hours on a full charge.