Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-18-2010, 07:55 AM

Looking for a little help.....

I was about 165 miles into a 300K brevet yesterday when I had an ugly confrontation with a motorist who I suspect was high. He turned around twice to come after me and I wisely got off the road so he wouldn't hit me or force me off the road. He ended up stopping to yell at me at which point he pulled a gun and pointed it straight at me(I think a 9mm Glock). When he saw that I had my cell phone camera, he took off. I did manage to get a photo of his license plate. I called 911 and dealt with the police. I have little hope that they are going to be too proactive in dealing with this guy. I intend to engage the county attorney this week and I would like to know the name of this gun wielding idiot beforeI start talking to the county attorney. Can anybody help me with a KY license plate search?

Thanks
Steve
Old 07-18-2010, 08:24 AM

Try talking to the DMV or talking to the state police?
Old 07-18-2010, 09:06 AM

Wow Steve, talk about scary! I'm glad that it ended up "OK" and hope that the police do something about it. It certainly seems like they should, if someone pulling a gun and pointing it at somebody isn't worth taking the trouble to follow up on, what is?

Glad you're OK, could have ended very badly.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:04 AM

Hope you got a picture of him pointing the gun at you, otherwise he said, she said.

The fact you got a plate number and your alligations, without that picture of him pointing the gun, will be fruitless...
Old 07-18-2010, 10:18 AM

Photo of him pointing gun would be nice but not necessary.

Jeff
Old 07-18-2010, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srice
I have little hope that they are going to be too proactive in dealing with this guy.
Steve,

Luckily you are ok!!! If you have a plate, then this guy should be in serious trouble.

Menacing at the very least but he is probably facing a felony charge. I have had my share of confrontation. I had some punk kids pull a gun on me and it turned out to be a starter pistol.

A few years back some jacka** threw an egg mcmuffin or something at me and it hit me on the side of the head. I smelled food right before contact. I gave chase but it was on an uphill and he slowly disappeared. As I crested some couple had pulled over and they offered me his license plate.

I called the po-po and they took it very seriously. The DA did too and they charged this guy with (4) counts and he was convicted on all and had to server 90 days in jail. I think it was menacing, littering, assault. Shoot, can't remember the other one. 20 years old and now he has a rap.

Point is, if you have it pursue it... Go after that dude.

mIKE
Old 07-18-2010, 11:56 AM
More Cowbell!

Thank goodness your ok. Unforunately things like this happen every now and again. Events like this are what me and my gf fear most on our rides. We ride a lot on country roads where no one can really witness anything. Sometimes she or I ride alone and we always worry about each other.

If the police find him and see that a glock is registered to him, that's proof he pointed a glock at you. or else how did you know he had a glock in the first place? Ya know??? It helps to know the model ie: 19 or 26 etc.

I'm glad you're ok. Things like this hit a little too close to home. I hope he gets what's coming to him.

Last edited by 130R; 07-18-2010 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:19 PM
Everything is connected

Take it all the way to the DA's office and they will follow up with your claim. As others have said, if he has a handgun registered with the police, your claim will certainly merit attention at a higher level.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:36 PM

A 911 call reporting a driver waving a gun has brought fast action when I have reported it. I have twice had a similar experience. Different states, same action. Cops dropped what ever they were doing and hauled out to check the action.

Both times I was in rural areas got a description and a license #. As far as I know both were visited at home and check for the legality of their weapons. Brandishing is a big deal, if they have cc permits it can get them eliminated. If the police find a weapon matching the description given by a stranger it can mean some real heat for the owner.

Glad it didn't escalate and that you are around to tell the story.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:53 PM

In Colorado, (I think countrywide too) you cannot research license plates only the police or the like have any access to the registration databases. There was a case sometime back where someone looked up a young woman’s plate he rape and killed her. It sounds like you are heading down the right avenues. The police and DA will take care of the rest. I am just glad you didn’t get seriously hurt.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Can anybody help me with a KY license plate search?

Thanks
Steve
Wow! Crazy stuff. Luckily he backed off and left. I would, contact all possible jurisdictions:

County sheriff
Local Police
State Police
DA's office
Local bicycle advocacy group (do those exist in Kentucky? Here in the Pac NW, there is some political pull with cycling advocacy groups).

Some persistence on your part will eventually get someone in law enforcement to follow-up. A few years back, I was physically threatened by some rednecks while out riding south of my parents house in South Suburban Atlanta. I got some help from the Sheriffs office in following up with the thugs since I had their license plate number.

Be careful out there.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEABREEZE
Hope you got a picture of him pointing the gun at you, otherwise he said, she said.

The fact you got a plate number and your alligations, without that picture of him pointing the gun, will be fruitless...

Let's see. I am standing on the side of the road and some maniac is pointing a handgun at me. I agree that having a picture of this would be helpful in prosecuting this guy, but my first priority at this time was to get out of the line of fire. I moved towards the back of his Isuzu so that he would have to shoot through his girlfriend (which I still thought he would do). When he saw my cell phone, he took off. I was lucky to get the picture of the plate. Last thing I was going to do was to walk back towards the car and ask him to say cheese.

There was another witness with me and she has already given a statement to the police.

I spoke to a state trooper today and he indicated that the charges would be wanton endangerment and terroristic threatening - if they can find the guy.

I plan to spend quite a bit of time tomorrow dealing with the proper authorities in Bourbon county. I would like to be able to start with the perp's name, but I am seeing that unless I find a sympathetic cop, that isn't going to happen.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Let's see. I am standing on the side of the road and some maniac is pointing a handgun at me. I agree that having a picture of this would be helpful in prosecuting this guy, but my first priority at this time was to get out of the line of fire. I moved towards the back of his Isuzu so that he would have to shoot through his girlfriend (which I still thought he would do). When he saw my cell phone, he took off. I was lucky to get the picture of the plate. Last thing I was going to do was to walk back towards the car and ask him to say cheese.

There was another witness with me and she has already given a statement to the police.

I spoke to a state trooper today and he indicated that the charges would be wanton endangerment and terroristic threatening - if they can find the guy.

I plan to spend quite a bit of time tomorrow dealing with the proper authorities in Bourbon county. I would like to be able to start with the perp's name, but I am seeing that unless I find a sympathetic cop, that isn't going to happen.
If they eventually find him, you will know his name. I don't really understand what knowing his name now will get you. They have a word for that, "Vigilante", that would only escalated the already dangerous situation and the authorities don’t want that.

Last edited by Satellite; 07-18-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:22 PM
Two wheels good

Keep us in the loop as this pans out.
Old 07-18-2010, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satellite
If they eventually find him, you will know his name. I don't really understand what knowing his name now will get you. They have a word for that, "Vigilante", that would only escalated the already dangerous situation and the authorities don’t want that.
Believe me, I have no desire to ever see this guy again except for in a court. Vigilante has nothing to do with why I would like to know who it is. I want to dig up any information I can so that I can be as informed as possible when I speak to the authorities.