Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Post Mod-ern

#$%^&@ weather radar!

I checked the Intellicast weather radar this afternoon before going out for a ride. I've only been out twice this week before today and really wanted to get some miles in. According to the "interactive radar report" there was no rain anywhere nearby. It's been cloudy all day, but I look out the window, the pavement is dry, and based on the radar, away I go.

Within 4 miles it starts misting, and this develops quickly into what I call a "Northern California" type storm--heavier than mist but lighter than real rain. Of course, this just gets heavier and after 30 miles I pull into my driveway totally soaked and with one of my nice bikes needing a total cleanup.

#$%^&@ weather radar! I look at the radar again now and it's STILL "clear" according to Intellicast.

Do all these different services use the same radar feed from National Weather Service? Or is there one that you've found to be more reliable? I don't mind riding in the rain--as long as I know it's going to rain and I can take the messy rain bike.

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 10-09-2009, 05:41 PM

but don't you feel better after going for that ride? Don't feel so bad I only got a couple of rides in this week to. Mostly because I procrastinate although there were at least a couple of days where I had was tied down to my mother's property babysitting workers and assisting them at times to make sure they did the job right, beautiful fall days... I had every intention on going for a ride and daylight came and went. I don't understand it I'm unemployed, single,no children or girlfriend and I still seem to waste precious riding time.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:45 PM
PezTech

OK BBD...

I gotta say it.

First clouds roll in, then... It rayns. (I'm speaking from what I read, as Arizona residents dont get to preach on rayn generally

Did you check the forcast?
Old 10-09-2009, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeDave
I checked the Intellicast weather radar this afternoon before going out for a ride. I've only been out twice this week before today and really wanted to get some miles in. According to the "interactive radar report" there was no rain anywhere nearby. It's been cloudy all day, but I look out the window, the pavement is dry, and based on the radar, away I go.

Within 4 miles it starts misting, and this develops quickly into what I call a "Northern California" type storm--heavier than mist but lighter than real rain. Of course, this just gets heavier and after 30 miles I pull into my driveway totally soaked and with one of my nice bikes needing a total cleanup.

#$%^&@ weather radar! I look at the radar again now and it's STILL "clear" according to Intellicast.

Do all these different services use the same radar feed from National Weather Service? Or is there one that you've found to be more reliable? I don't mind riding in the rain--as long as I know it's going to rain and I can take the messy rain bike.

BBD

oh and by the way I learned a long time ago in terms of weather predicting accuracy nothing beats the local t.v. news station's daily weather forecast. Internet weather forecast just doesn't seem to be quite as good.

Last edited by gemship; 10-09-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 05:54 PM
Post Mod-ern

Uh, a "forecast?" . . .

What's that?

C'mon, Charles, don't spoil my rant. I need to vent!

BBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by PezTech
OK BBD...

I gotta say it.

First clouds roll in, then... It rayns. (I'm speaking from what I read, as Arizona residents dont get to preach on rayn generally

Did you check the forcast?
Old 10-09-2009, 05:58 PM

it sounds like MAYBE the rain and clouds were not dense enough to show on the radar?
Old 10-09-2009, 06:32 PM
Classics Fan

redacted.

Last edited by MattTuck; 10-09-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-09-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTuck
Sounds like you need to take that hitler clip with subtitles and do your own version about weather forecasting using radar!

Wasn't there a thread closed with that clip in it due to being construed as somewhat racially incorrect?
Old 10-09-2009, 06:47 PM
Post Mod-ern

There was . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemship
Wasn't there a thread closed with that clip in it due to being construed as somewhat racially incorrect?
. . . indeed an earlier thread about the Hitler clip. I don't remember whether it got locked or not. There are a number of various re-dubs of that clip on YouTube dealing with a variety of subjects. Personally I find none of them--or anything else connected with Hitler--to be in the least amusing. It has to do with a little detail called The Holocaust . . .

"Never Forget."

BBD
Old 10-09-2009, 07:11 PM

Agree BBD

Something was definitely funny with that radar.
I checked the forecast this morning, saw it was likely to shower this afternoon but decided to ride to work anyway since it was dry when it was time for me to go. Brought my raincoat.
Looked at the radar mid-afternoon, saw nothing, didn't get a chance to look outside but figured the forecasted showers were holding off and I would ride home dry.
Saw the rains start 20 minutes later, again checked the radar: Zip!
Rode home in a steady light rain.
Still beats driving.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:56 PM
Post Mod-ern

I usually check the radar . . .

. . . before I got out. I've learned through experience that the green on the map can mean it's actually raining on the ground, or it's just really cloudy--perhaps rainfall that is not reaching the ground? But if the map is clear then there's no precip--even if it IS cloudy outside. Today that experience failed me. The map was definitely clear in our area--no green whatsoever. I mean, I still had a good ride and a good workout. It was just annoying.

BBD
Old 10-11-2009, 02:29 AM
Tom fKB

Albany NWS

Accept no substitutes

It's later than you think.
Old 10-11-2009, 04:53 AM

Dave,

Your problem is that you're checking the radar BEFORE you go out. What you need is a blackberry or iPhone or something so you can check it during your ride and find out in real time that it's not raining all over your head and bike. You just need more up to date technology!

Half-seriously, I find the moving radar maps to be a big help more than 90% of the time. Occasionally they screw up like in this case, but they're usually pretty good in my experience.

-Ray
Old 10-11-2009, 09:31 AM

Well, yesterday we rode thru snow flurries the entire time...

Didn't check the radar.

But... the thermometer said 35 degrees. Isn't that above freezing? What's up with that?
Old 10-11-2009, 09:37 AM
CDA for me

BBD, check out your local NOAA feed. I live in FL where we watch the radar very close and I am also a contractor so I live and die by the weather. NOAA is always my first choice and I believe their predicting skills are better than most.