Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 01-03-2005, 07:19 PM
Free Unibet

Time VXRS

In the latest installment of the Forum's Carbon bike theme......
Here is my Time VXRS. I got the bike specifically for long hilly rides and events, but it does a pretty good job at everything. I followed a rather modern French theme in equipping the bike, but the idea was not original as it follows pretty closely the BLB team specification.
The basics are:
Frame: Time VXRS in "Henry Ford" black
Crank: Stronglight Pulsion Carbon with Twister-Ti BB (ISIS)
Pedals: Time Impact Mag
Saddle: Selle Italia Mythos
Brakes: Mavic Ksyrium SSC
Derailleurs:Campagnolo Record
Wheels:Mavic Cosmic Carbone Tubular w/ Veloflex Criteriums
Old 01-03-2005, 07:29 PM
needs adult supervision

looks fast. very fast. what's your take on the seattube that's also a seatpost? there is some adjustment, yes? how does it work? i've heard they're quite stiff frames--your impression? the detail i wish other builders would copy is identifying on the TT where the center of the BB is...makes setting saddle setback so much easier...why don't other builders do that?
Old 01-03-2005, 08:26 PM

sspiel - Nice ride. I do like the Frech-theme. Pedals/Wheels/ - different cranks BB / frameset. Nice set-up and hope to run into you riding this it-material bike. Those are my favorite feel-good-go-fast wheels and tires! Have fun - Matt
Old 01-03-2005, 11:33 PM

Matt, nice job, a real looker. Nice component mix too.

If I have one reservation it's being opposed to the stiff ride of a deep dish rim, so make sure you ride this baby with a proper set of wheels to see how this CF wonder will really shine. No offense to those who love Carbones. I'm sure they are wicked fast but....I guess I just hate to take the carbon ride out of the carbon.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:40 AM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaxn8r
I guess I just hate to take the carbon ride out of the carbon.
vax--that was exactly my experience with putting a pair of carbon wheels on my parlee...wicked light...but they made the ride much more harsh...switched wheels and it was like a different frame...the frame/wheel combo is totally personal, but for me, stiff wheels really impact how a frame rides.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:22 AM
Free Unibet

Seat Adjustment

The seat adjustment is accomplished via an internal seatpost sleeve. You can see a small portion of it at the top. It is recommended that this section be kept below 3cm. The sleeve actually extends for about 200 mm inside the seattube. It is 27.2 mm in diameter, like a standard seatpost, but VERY thin in cross section. The seattube of the frame is actually cut at setup time...just like one cuts a fork column. The frameset is provided with a sawguide for this purpose. My first reaction to this setup was to think that I would prefer the conventional seattubed VXR model......but then again, if it is French, it should be a little kinky, right?
Old 01-04-2005, 07:53 AM

Beautiful Ride....

but do tell, how does she ride? Does the carbon have any give to it or is it just plain stiff?
Old 01-04-2005, 10:16 AM
Free Unibet

Ride

I am not a large rider and have an in-season weight of 145 lbs. I find that the frame is more than adequately stiff for big-ring climbing, sprinting, etc. The ride is very forgiving. Time hypes the use of Vectran to dampen road vibration in its frames. I have no idea if that is the ingredient that makes it work, but this frame is very smooth. Of course, I only use tubulars (90% veloflex criteriums)...so that is definitely a factor as well. I have used the bike with other wheels... It is especially good with Mavic Heliums....and weighs about 15 lbs in that format.
One undersold feature that I would like to mention is the Quickset headset. It is a new design from Time. It is a threadless setup, but dispenses with the expander plug inside the fork (three cheers!). Instead, it has a top nut that rotates to allow for adjustment just like a conventional threaded headset. The setup is a breeze, and stem adjustments do not affect the headset adjustment.
I like this bike very much....let the long-term test begin....
Old 01-04-2005, 12:05 PM

Congratulations!

That is a great looking bike
Though I am biased as I have a VXR that is due on Sat
I really like the engineering that goes into Time frames
They seem extremely well though out and the construction is top class

BTW cycling weekly, a UK mag, voted the VXRS its Race Bike of the year
Old 01-09-2005, 03:32 PM

Real sharp looking machine. That stem is super strong and well designed. I'm sure the frameset is just as well thought out.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:20 AM
madbiker

That **** is hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I wish those frames weren't so $$$
Old 01-13-2005, 10:49 PM

I've decided I want a few more pics. Indulge us please as I've never seen one of these in person.
Old 01-14-2005, 07:12 AM
Free Unibet

Gladly....

I will post more pictures soon. If there is anything in particular that you would like to see, let me know.....
Old 01-14-2005, 10:59 AM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

I'm kind of curious about the cranks. They are very light, are the flexy at all? I weigh a good 30 pounds more than you but I had some FSA's that were squishy as all hell. Just wondering if the pulsion's were any different, thanks.
Old 01-14-2005, 03:51 PM
madbiker

Can you define squishy cranks? I've never been able to detect a difference in cranks. Do cranks actually flex???