Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 05-21-2009, 06:07 AM

Cheap wheels: Williams, Revolution, Neuvation

Hey there,

I really want some new wheels. No real reason. But without a reason I can't justify spending much. I always have handbuilt in the back of my mind, but these three companies seem to have good prices (downright cheap in the case of Neuvation), and wheels in the 1400-1500 gram range. So who's tried some?

Jim
Old 05-21-2009, 06:44 AM

I haven't tried Neuvation wheels, but several people on my team are happy with them - both their training wheels and their deep section carbon ones. One can also buy crash protection/wheel replacement insurance from neuvation, which can be a reassuring thing to owning the more expensive ones - which are still cheap compared to other carbon wheelsets.

I've heard a few disparaging things about the wheels on bikeforums, but haven't bothered to investigate and find some specifics.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:15 AM
Post Mod-ern

I've also been looking at Neuvations . . .

They have some great prices, but I've also heard quite a bit of anecdotal feedback about rear hub issues and broken spokes. Some as been from local riding friends who've had problems, and other has been online at places like Roadbikereview.com.

The common threads seem to be heavier riders (190+) who have problems with spokes or rear hub, but who are also impressed with the supportive customer service to fix the issues.

I'm torn . . . Great prices and semi-good looks (I'd tear the decals off mine immediately) and great customer service, but inconsistent quality. Should I take a chance, since I'm only 175 lbs? Hmmm . . .

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 05-21-2009, 07:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeDave
They have some great prices, but I've also heard quite a bit of anecdotal feedback about rear hub issues and broken spokes. Some as been from local riding friends who've had problems, and other has been online at places like Roadbikereview.com.

The common threads seem to be heavier riders (190+) who have problems with spokes or rear hub, but who are also impressed with the supportive customer service to fix the issues.

I'm torn . . . Great prices and semi-good looks (I'd tear the decals off mine immediately) and great customer service, but inconsistent quality. Should I take a chance, since I'm only 175 lbs? Hmmm . . .

BBD

Ride report please if you do.

William
Old 05-21-2009, 07:38 AM
Shut up & ride

I've been happy with my Neuvation wheels. I got about 3000 miles on a set of first generation M28 Aeros. I've never have had it even put a spoke wrench on them. These are the wheels that had the rear hub problems. Newer ones have been redesigned. I have a second set that includes an M28 Aero 3 in the rear and an R28 Aero 3 in the front. I don't have much mileage on these yet but they seem great so far.

For some reason, these wheels just roll great. On group rides, I'm amazed by how they seem to out-roll others on decents. Spin the wheels off the ground and they just go and go.

BTW, I'm 191 pounds and a newbie. I have no real experience with other wheels so I cannot personally compare them to other wheels.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:02 AM
Post Mod-ern

This is the kind of forum feedback . . .

. . . I'm trying to get. Not knowing anything about how many sets of these wheels he's sold, I'm trying to keep in mind that in these online review forums like RBR, often it's the people who are unhappy who are more likely to write. But that being said, the Neuvations also got a tremendous number of good reviews on RBR, and something generally has to be really good for people to be positively motivated to go to the trouble of posting a review . . .

BBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytesiz
I've been happy with my Neuvation wheels. I got about 3000 miles on a set of first generation M28 Aeros. I've never have had it even put a spoke wrench on them. These are the wheels that had the rear hub problems. Newer ones have been redesigned. I have a second set that includes an M28 Aero 3 in the rear and an R28 Aero 3 in the front. I don't have much mileage on these yet but they seem great so far.

For some reason, these wheels just roll great. On group rides, I'm amazed by how they seem to out-roll others on decents. Spin the wheels off the ground and they just go and go.

BTW, I'm 191 pounds and a newbie. I have no real experience with other wheels so I cannot personally compare them to other wheels.
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 05-21-2009, 08:30 AM
Everything is connected

http://www.belgiumkneewarmers.com/20...o4-wheels.html
Old 05-21-2009, 09:04 AM
Adrenaline Junkie

Local guy uses them and he's VERY hard on his gear. He's been happy with them. I'd guess he's in the 170# range?
Old 05-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Descent fitness

Neuvation R28SL review

I ride R28SL 2 and 3s on my bikes, and they've been great. Each set has between 3 and 7K miles on them. When I bought my first pair, I had a spoke tension issue that put it out of true pretty badly. Since I had just bought them, I took them back to my LBS, who called John Neugent (the owner and local to me), who drove over that day with a new wheel...problem solved. Since that time, I have not had to true any of the 3 sets I have, except for when I broke a spoke in a race on very rough roads. I weight 180# FWIW.
Since I have ridden little else for a while, I have few comparisons, although the wheels spin up a bit faster than my Record/Open Pro set, and are stiffer off the jump than my Neutrons, and are not quite as vertically compliant as the either. They spin beautifully and smoothly. The cassette body is loud, but I have greased the pawls with a light grease and made them fairly quiet. Bearing and cassette body replacement is very straightforward,and there are instructions on the website. I have one pair with a rim joint that catches a bit under braking, but not badly enough to have me get out the sandpaper.
Finish is pretty good. Although not jewel-like, the hubs and rims hold their own from 3 feet away, and my wheels do justice to my Vamoots, Tarmac SL, and custom steel bikes. Stickers are fugly, but come off well. With the stickers removed, the silver wheels look very good on steel bikes, since the R28SLs are fairly traditional in appearance. Customer service, for me has been otherworldly...I wish all my products we supported this way.
They also make a heavier set of wheels, the M28Aeros, that are rumored to be indestructable. Many CX riders use these.
In short, the good:
Quick spinup, good lateral stiffness, easy servicibility, smooth bearings, great customer support, fairly good finish. Light. Bargin price. Low bling with stickers removed (this may be a bad for you) with the
The bad:
Slightly vertically harsh, some reports of spotty quality (I think now resolved), loud freewheeling, ugly stickers.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:11 AM

Revolutions are not Campy 11 compatible. They sell a Campy splined wheel, but apparently there is some point of interference.
Old 05-21-2009, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in SLO
I ride R28SL 2 and 3s on my bikes, and they've been great. Each set has between 3 and 7K miles on them. When I bought my first pair, I had a spoke tension issue that put it out of true pretty badly. Since I had just bought them, I took them back to my LBS, who called John Neugent (the owner and local to me), who drove over that day with a new wheel...problem solved. Since that time, I have not had to true any of the 3 sets I have, except for when I broke a spoke in a race on very rough roads. I weight 180# FWIW.
Since I have ridden little else for a while, I have few comparisons, although the wheels spin up a bit faster than my Record/Open Pro set, and are stiffer off the jump than my Neutrons, and are not quite as vertically compliant as the either. They spin beautifully and smoothly. The cassette body is loud, but I have greased the pawls with a light grease and made them fairly quiet. Bearing and cassette body replacement is very straightforward,and there are instructions on the website. I have one pair with a rim joint that catches a bit under braking, but not badly enough to have me get out the sandpaper.
Finish is pretty good. Although not jewel-like, the hubs and rims hold their own from 3 feet away, and my wheels do justice to my Vamoots, Tarmac SL, and custom steel bikes. Stickers are fugly, but come off well. With the stickers removed, the silver wheels look very good on steel bikes, since the R28SLs are fairly traditional in appearance. Customer service, for me has been otherworldly...I wish all my products we supported this way.
They also make a heavier set of wheels, the M28Aeros, that are rumored to be indestructable. Many CX riders use these.
In short, the good:
Quick spinup, good lateral stiffness, easy servicibility, smooth bearings, great customer support, fairly good finish. Light. Bargin price. Low bling with stickers removed (this may be a bad for you) with the
The bad:
Slightly vertically harsh, some reports of spotty quality (I think now resolved), loud freewheeling, ugly stickers.

Your off the hook BBDave, Steve was our....

...for these wheels.

Nice write up. Thanks. You say the M28Aeros are possibly indestructable huh? I think we need a big Guinea Pig for these.

William
Old 05-21-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytesiz

In my group you'd be considered a large rider, which would give you an advantage on descents regardless of wheels. IMO bearing friction is quite small and probably doesn't make much difference on who goes fastest at descending speeds.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:58 PM
TooSlowToCare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobias
In my group you'd be considered a large rider, which would give you an advantage on descents regardless of wheels. IMO bearing friction is quite small and probably doesn't make much difference on who goes fastest at descending speeds.
I don't think that is always true. I ride with another person frequently that is a little heavier than I am. Depending on which wheel brand we each have, I typically roll longer and faster than he does. I have a pair of 2002 vintage Equation 622 (I think that is right) and when we ride side by side downhill, I always begin to lead out further as we go down and he will need to pedal to keep up.
Old 05-21-2009, 01:28 PM
cmg

here are some other options you may not have considered. Flit wheels , both the Cone-a and Letica are lighter but under the $500 range. Probably built out of the same rims as everyone else on your list. http://www.flitwheels.com/onlinestore.html and Revolution wheels http://www.revolutionwheelworks.com/Home_Page.html
Old 05-21-2009, 01:54 PM

Bought a pair of the basic Neuvations about a year ago, straight gauge spokes (20/24). Great customer service, price was right and they are extremely functional wheels. Ride quality is OK and the weight is fine with me. Trued them once after a dirt road excursion. There are better wheels out there, but not at this price. No issue with the quality of the hub, rim or spokes. If you won't be happy unless you have some sort of King hubbed, hand-built wonder wheel and think you'll get that at this price, look elsewhere...and don't forget your wallet. That isn't what Neuvations are about, function is key. Stickers are hideous IMHO and were easily removed. Weighing in these days at about 160#, no issues with sturdiness.