Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2009, 02:20 PM

Advice on a new group

Planning on building a bike on a new frame I should be getting in the next few weeks (planning on posting pics in a few weeks). It is made from the MAX tubes if that matters.

Am thinking about what 8 piece group to build with. Have been debating with myself over what to get. As a starting point, I don't have any illusions that one group over the other will make me faster, what I want to know is, does the added cost for the top of the line group add to ones enjoyment while riding.

Currently riding a mix of 08 Centaur/Veloce which I enjoy.

I do not like bright shiny metal. That's why the below components are mostly dark color.

Things I think about when debating which Group to chose:

Are the top of the line components a waste on anyone who is not consistently placing in their local races?

Can a slow but likes to try really hard rider benefit from ceramic bearings or is it all hype?

Here is what I am considering in order of cost:

1. Pure 09 SRAM Rival

2. Mix - 09 SRAM Rival with Dura Ace 7900 Crankset/BB or Fulcrum Crank

3. Mix - Full Dura Ace 7900 except with SRAM/Campy Shifter

4. Campy Mix - 09 Campy Super Record Crankset/BB, Front and Rear Der.; Record Chain; Chorus Cassette, Shifters, Veloce Brakes

5. Pure 09 Dura Ace

Obviously #1 is the cost saving measure but comments on the SRAM BB have me concerned. # 2 takes away that concern.

#3 is about getting full 09 Dura Ace but avoiding what some have said is not top notch shifting/hood comfort, but is the substitute any better? #5 goes with full DA and ignores the comments.

#4 takes advantage of the new 11 and CULT ceramic of the Super Record but saves money by mixing in Chorus and Veloce.

Comments or alternative suggestions are welcome.

Steven
Old 03-30-2009, 02:26 PM

Rival

Go with Rival, not much performance difference, keeps most things "darker" like you said you like. Just switch out that crank, maybe an FSA? keeps away from shiny stuff, and they have a lot of options at different price points.

And just so you know, i have most of my bikes spec'ed with DA, but my commuter/cross is Rival and really love the ergonomics and functionality of the Sram stuff. also have some decent miles on Sram Red and Campy Record (10spd)
Fixie
Old 03-30-2009, 02:34 PM
Princess Sweat

Tiagra IMHO.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:15 PM

If you go over to gvh, you can spec out rival with shimano chain/cassette and other crank options such as fulcrum. That's pretty much the consensus freaking awesome setup ATM IMHO. As long at it's available at it's current price/performance, I'll never buy anything else.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:51 PM
Serotta Biased and HSG Luster

Can not beat RIVAL for the $$. If CAMPY is what you want...pick the mix and match you want for a group based on your budget and lust factor.

AS to Shimano - Ultegra, Ultregra SL, Dura ACE 7800 they are all well integrated groups. 7900 is very nice but there is a premium that your LUST factor (just as RECORD/S RECORD have) will decide...

For BUDGET you can not beat RIVAL. For jewelry you can not beat 7900 or Record/S Record...just my IMHO
Old 03-30-2009, 04:52 PM

Any of the above suggestions are fine. The top end stuff will NOT make you enjoy the act of riding more. It might if you compare it to real entry level stuff, but everything you're considering is really nice gear and it isn't gonna matter. Ceramic bearings are just an expensive gift for the kid who has everything. They're not gonna matter to a recreational rider or a racer at less than elite levels. The Rival / Shimano combinations recommended above seem to be something of a current consensus, but the shape of the hoods and the feel of the shifters is ALL personal preference, so if you know you like the feel of one set of levers or the way the levers actuate the shifts, go with that because it all works remarkably well.

I remember when I got my first pretty nice bike and I was obsessing over what to put on it. After barraging a forum I was on with questions, the incomparable and sadly the late Sheldon Brown suggested I stop obsessing, choose something, and ride the crap out of my new bike. And to not forget to enjoy the new bike. I quickly settled on something a step or two down from the top at that time, and rode the crap out of my bike. I'd have been equally happy if I'd gone with different gear - the frame and the wheels are where the feel of a great ride come from. So, obsess as long as its fun but, nope, its not gonna matter much. Enjoy!

-Ray
Old 04-01-2009, 11:54 AM

Veloce 09 is all black, or try Centaur carbon.
Old 04-01-2009, 12:16 PM

Chorus 11spd

I just opened a box of Chorus 2009 components that came in the mail today. Pretty nice and - it's Campy. If you've used Campy, you know what I mean.

I was going to try SRAM, but in the end, I trust Campy and wasnt willing to shell out all that dough on something i didn't know.

Conservative.