Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-16-2009, 06:42 PM

Weak Serotta "Silicon Valley" dealers

Ok, I don't like the term "Silicon Valley" either. It is pretentious. But it does usefully identify an area that isn't exactly like saying San Jose so we are stuck with it.

And, moreover, for this posting I am excluding San Jose and Los Gatos (not because they aren't in "Silicon Valley", but because they are sort-of far from the areas I'm focused on--and even if I included them it doesn't change my fundamental point).

So, by "Silicon Valley I mean (give or take) Palo Alto, Menlo Park, Woodside, Atherton, Los Altos, Los Altos Hills, Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, Campbell, Mountain View, Cupertino and Saratoga.

Why is Serotta so weak in this geography? I don't want to name names, but suffice to say there is not a strong dealer in this area. By stong dealer, I mean world-class, where a capable rider would be confident of getting expert fitting services and advice.

The cities I mention are in or around a road riding paradise--and the income levels tend to be fairly high.

Why would Serotta concede such a potentially hot market? I know they have some presence here--but they don't have a strong champion.

Any insights?
Old 03-17-2009, 09:35 AM

rspecker: Please PM as I would love to discuss with you more. When I am in Cupertino and see Apple's world HQ not 2 blocks from one of our dealers who sells nothing but Cervelo I am ready to shoot myself. We are strong in the Bay Area! Cyclesports Oakland, City Cycles and Bespoke do a great job. Go over the Golden Gate up into Marin and we are strong with PK Cycling and a new dealer in Santa Rosa Aria Velo.

BUT the markets you described are weak and are being addressed now. If you have some thoughts or advice as I mentioned would love to hear from you.

as well as Serotta Biased
Old 03-17-2009, 09:36 AM

Bay Area Dealer

You should definitely visit Vance at Cupertino Bike Shop, he's on De Anza boulevard at Mclellan off 85.

I've done business with this shop for nearly 40 years and with Vance for 20, I'd say I'm a happy customers. I have purchased 3 Serottas from him.

Given the price of the bikes and the emphasis on custom fit, I don't think it's reasonable for a dealer to have 20 demo bikes in stock. However Vance has a representative range of models and colors that will help you make your choice.

Highly recommended!

Mark Petry
Bainbridge Island, WA
Old 03-17-2009, 10:26 AM

Make the trip out to Cyclesports in Oakland. Great shop.

M
Old 03-17-2009, 11:45 AM

What's wrong with Bicycle Outfitters on Foothill? They've done some recall work on my Rolf wheelset and seem to be a solid shop.
Old 03-17-2009, 11:55 AM

A Bicycle Odyssey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serotta_Dave
rspecker: Go over the Golden Gate up into Marin and we are strong with PK Cycling and a new dealer in Santa Rosa Aria Velo.
If you're talking about Marin, what about Tony Tom at A Bicycle Odyssey in Sausalito, CA? He's one of the best fitters in the SF Bay Area, been around since 1975, and has been selling Serotta for at least 25 years. Rated one of the "best shops" by Classic Rendezvous:

http://www.classicrendezvous.com/Bik...le-Odyssey.htm

Note, there is a Serotta frameset in one of the pics!
Old 03-17-2009, 12:04 PM

Shaw's lists Serotta on their website - http://www.shawscycles.com/mission.html
Old 03-17-2009, 03:40 PM

hmm

did you have a bad experience with Vance @ Cupertino Bike? I've bought several bikes (Calfee, 2x Cervelo, and ALMOST a Legend which I now regret not getting) from him and gotten nothing but good service and good fits. He also deals Look, Kuota, Specialized and Felt, not only the 'C' company mentioned before......his selection is actually pretty good IMO.
"I don't give a damn if a bike is hand made by virgin monks that hand carry each tube 5000 miles, massage it with peanut oil and heather, then weld it using a combination of sunlight and God's Love or is simply jacked together by a tweaking Ethiopian. If it works and lasts, it works." -- Frustrated on the Serotta board
Old 03-17-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdeal
did you have a bad experience with Vance @ Cupertino Bike? I've bought several bikes (Calfee, 2x Cervelo, and ALMOST a Legend which I now regret not getting) from him and gotten nothing but good service and good fits.
I bought a couple of tandems from Vance at Cupertino and got great ongoing service. That was many years ago, but Vance is still running the place so I wouldn't expect it to change too much.

Jenn
Old 03-17-2009, 05:05 PM
50 bpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM

M
+1.

I stop in every time I'm back in my old hometown to visit my mom. It's a great place, the folks are cool and reallyl knowledgeable, and they always have some great bike or another hanging in the window.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandM

M
+1