Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-12-2009, 09:50 AM
Administrator

OT: Inversion tables

Anyone use one of these?

One of the guys at my gym swears by this for helping relieve back issues.

William
Old 03-12-2009, 10:12 AM
TAW

Actually, my mother-in-law bought one for her back problems. She didn't seem all that thrilled with it, but my kids thought it was fun to play on.

It does look like it would stretch out your back and reverse the "settling" that happens from years of standing on your feet.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:31 AM
Carbon-loving lifeform

I have one and every few years I set it up and rediscover why I don't use it. I have not found it as effective for stretching out the back as back bending around a Swiss ball. Maybe it's all the muscles I tense up to be in that position. It's also not too fun having all the blood rush to your head and stay there. I actually like it best at a semi-inverted angle - kind of relaxing and weightless. That said, a guy I work with has back issues and likes his inversion table.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Someone did do a study of them. They don't work to help relieve back pain. That was also my father-in-laws experience when he had one many years ago.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:20 AM

I have one

And still use it occasionally. I find it most effective for opening up my hip joints, which is one of my problem areas. The Swiss ball isn't as effective for that area imho (but it is for everything else).

Since I know you can relate, I actually bought it years ago for some martial-arts related stretching. I found my hips were especially tight after a vigorous Muay Thai or JKD workout with a lot of kicking. I gave up the martial arts but still use the table.

A residual benefit for me is some stretching I get in the ankle area when hanging. Good for my tired, flat-footed feet.

HTH

Last edited by DreaminJohn; 03-12-2009 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Add stuff
Old 03-12-2009, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William
Anyone use one of these?

One of the guys at my gym swears by this for helping relieve back issues.

William
I've been maried 14 years and have three kids, so yeah I have.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:46 AM
zoes boondoggle

I have one. I had it for nearly 10 yrs, I think... pretty well built. I don't use it as frequently as I'd like to... as I'd have to remove all my crap hanging on it every time... somehow mysteriously all my clothes always end up on it.

I have a back issue that's been going on for decades. One of my relative suggested it to me as it helped her tremendously with a seriously debilitating back problem. It initially didn't seemed to help me all that much but it is helpful in taking pressure of the gravity off the spine and whatever else that we human beings have to endure since we've decided to stand and walk on our two legs. My back is mostly okay nowadays until once in a blue moon when it goes out. I find it to be very helpful hanging upside down on it immediately or very soon after that "Huh uh" moment... not only for my back but for my knee, ankle etc... it seems to help realign things by taking the compression off. I'd miss it if I don't have it. It does take up some space although you can fold it and lean it against a wall.

Last edited by Nil Else; 03-12-2009 at 01:14 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 12:46 PM

yes

bought one when my wife's back was bothering her. She had surgery, now her back doesn't hurt. The inversion table's still there - I try it from time to time. Nothing remarkable to report other than it's kind of fun to play with the balance.