Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2009, 06:54 PM
Everything is connected

OT Vintage Motorcycles

I spotted this vintage Norton Commando in Pike Market today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg php45Y2mNPM.jpg (38.3 KB, 266 views)
File Type: jpg phpmhyPCVPM.jpg (36.8 KB, 264 views)

Last edited by rwsaunders; 03-11-2009 at 07:01 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:05 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Sweet. Nice find.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:12 PM

a long time neighbor restored one from the ground up. Its fun to watch and listen to it ride by. Sweet sounds, different than a Harley which many other neighbors own. I'm 34 and I owned more motorcycles than I can count, all japanese. My last bike was a 2005 Kawasaki Ninja zx10r. Total rocket ship, had the front wheel off the road at 70 with just the blip of the throttle in fact I didn't even shift into 2nd until about 50 and it was so smooth in the process. To think back in the day that Norton was the epitome of sport bike.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:47 PM
Dutch Oven

Nortons are sweet, although that one would speak to me in a nicer voice if the pipes had more upsweep and a reverse meg tip. I think that one is aftermarket.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:08 PM

Like them in theory.....but as a former brit bike owner I find that they need constant tinkering and most people who own one have no idea what they feel like when they are running correctly because they seldom do. For the few hours you can get one dialed in they are absolute monsters.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg My last motorcycle 2.jpg (65.8 KB, 233 views)

Last edited by ti_boi; 03-11-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemship
a long time neighbor restored one from the ground up. Its fun to watch and listen to it ride by. Sweet sounds, different than a Harley which many other neighbors own. I'm 34 and I owned more motorcycles than I can count, all japanese. My last bike was a 2005 Kawasaki Ninja zx10r. Total rocket ship, had the front wheel off the road at 70 with just the blip of the throttle in fact I didn't even shift into 2nd until about 50 and it was so smooth in the process. To think back in the day that Norton was the epitome of sport bike.

I have owned both Japanese and British and the two are so completely different you cannot really compare them. The British twin is insane when properly tuned...a nice Japanese bike seems to tune itself in it's sleep.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ti_boi
I have owned both Japanese and British and the two are so completely different you cannot really compare them. The British twin is insane when properly tuned...a nice Japanese bike seems to tune itself in it's sleep.

true that but I guess what I meant was today's sportbikes would eat those of yesterday alive. Heck if my 05 Ninja had a reverse gear it would out drag that bike on wheel going backwards. When I bought that bike all the reviews tauted it as a 100mph in first gear machine and it has brakes and suspension that actually work at speed. Not sure you can say that about a old Norton.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:22 AM

[QUOTE= The British twin is insane when properly tuned...

*** does "insane" mean?
Old 03-12-2009, 03:49 AM

I think insane means the same as "sick".
Which both mean good.
Maybe.I think.
Bry
old
Old 03-12-2009, 06:31 AM
Two wheels good

Quote:
a nice Japanese bike seems to tune itself in it's sleep.

Awesome quote! I have a nice Japanese bike that seems to do this. It also starts on the first try without hesitation after sitting in 20ºF temperatures for over two weeks (without a battery tender).
But it is a 2001 VFR which isn't exactly vintage... Yet... as VFRs are known to run well over 100K miles.

Last edited by avalonracing; 03-12-2009 at 07:42 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:12 AM

[QUOTE=Ken Robb][QUOTE= The British twin is insane when properly tuned...

*** does "insane" mean?[/QUOTE]

I got my little 750 tuned and completely dialed in.

Jumped on and left the shop, almost slid off the back it pulled so hard and smooth.

Was on a downhill next to a Yamaha cruiser and twisted it....with no clue that it was not the same 'pre tuned' bike.

It literally screamed and sent me along my way so fast it literally scared the hell out of me. I have ridden since age 15...I am 43. It had an insane smoothness of throttle with huge torque coupled with early lockheed disk brakes that do not really stop but do slow you down and a personality like a jackhammer shaking a lot.

It was a 'race bike' at that point...circa 1978...the guy on the Yamaha caught up to me and yelled..."what was that!? man oh man...I like that!! I was too shocked to do anything but nod and thank the good lord that i was still on the bike at that point.

Later on that afternoon an old crummy vaccum tube fell off the carb (they shake a lot)....and I was back to riding an overpriced British moped......*sigh*

Sick= mind blowing.

Last edited by ti_boi; 03-12-2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemship
true that but I guess what I meant was today's sportbikes would eat those of yesterday alive. Heck if my 05 Ninja had a reverse gear it would out drag that bike on wheel going backwards. When I bought that bike all the reviews tauted it as a 100mph in first gear machine and it has brakes and suspension that actually work at speed. Not sure you can say that about a old Norton.

Ridden a Ninja...liken it to staddling a ballistic missile as you wind through traffic. Kind of liked it....a lot.
Old 03-12-2009, 07:30 AM

Yup...

There's nothin' like that sweet roar between the legs...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7_usa-yamaha-vino-125cc.jpg (25.5 KB, 179 views)
||O,
|| \_/\_
--"----------"'---''-----'---''-------'---
Old 03-12-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Ridden a Ninja...liken it to staddling a ballistic missile as you wind through traffic. Kind of liked it....a lot.
Well, there are Ninjas and there are Ninjas. I have an '08 Ninja 250R which is fun to ride, gets great gas mileage and is very reliable. But, fast it's not. It can easily keep up, and then some, on the highway but takes about 7 seconds to go from 0-60. Still, I have no desire to lose my license and the big Ninjas are only really at home on a racetrack.

Tim
Old 03-12-2009, 08:06 AM
Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague
Well, there are Ninjas and there are Ninjas. I have an '08 Ninja 250R which is fun to ride, gets great gas mileage and is very reliable. But, fast it's not. It can easily keep up, and then some, on the highway but takes about 7 seconds to go from 0-60. Still, I have no desire to lose my license and the big Ninjas are only really at home on a racetrack.

Tim
Don't you mean there are Ninjas and Ninjettes??

Proud owner of an 07 Ninjette as my first moto with classy flame stickers and all.

Chris