Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-06-2009, 10:29 AM

Austin and environs

My wife and I are biking in the Fredericksburg TX area in 2 weeks, for about a week. This is our first cycling holiday during which we'll actually be riding our own bikes, having just invested in two Iron Cases.

We won't be riding ALL the time, though, so I'm wondering if forumites have suggestions about things we should do and see while in the area.

Many thanks,
Onno
Old 03-06-2009, 12:48 PM

Spend a day at Enchanted Rock State Park outside of Frederickburg. If you enjoy a little hiking, its a cool place. If you like BBQ, stop by Coopers in LLano. I bet you will see lots wild flowers and everywhere you go will be great. All of the Texas Hill country is pretty this time of then year.

Have a great tiime..
Old 03-06-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockdude
Spend a day at Enchanted Rock State Park outside of Frederickburg. If you enjoy a little hiking, its a cool place. If you like BBQ, stop by Coopers in LLano. I bet you will see lots wild flowers and everywhere you go will be great. All of the Texas Hill country is pretty this time of then year.

Have a great tiime..
Don't get your hopes up on the wildflowers. Very little rain here for a very extended period of time.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:20 PM
needs adult supervision

for any meal of the day, here's a place worth trying...

http://www.cafemagnolia.com/
Old 03-06-2009, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghsmith54
Don't get your hopes up on the wildflowers. Very little rain here for a very extended period of time.
If the wildflowers are a bust, head down to Gruene and New Braunfels. Lots of neat things to do around there.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:37 PM

Speaking of food, does anyone know of restaurants that serve good vegetarian fare? I imagine in Texas one shouldn't make too big a deal of this, but Austin and Fredericksburg must have a few vegetarians!

Thanks again,
Onno
Old 03-06-2009, 04:07 PM

Casa de Luz is a haven for vegetarians. It's a stone's throw from Zilker Park and the hike and bike trail. It's not cheap, but you get what you pay for. And since you're on vacation, you might as well splurge.

http://www.casadeluz.org/index.htm
Old 03-06-2009, 04:48 PM

Ride the Willow City Loop. You'll see some traffic this time of year, but it will be moving at 15 mph as everyone gawks at the scenery.

Old 03-09-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onno
Speaking of food, does anyone know of restaurants that serve good vegetarian fare? I imagine in Texas one shouldn't make too big a deal of this, but Austin and Fredericksburg must have a few vegetarians!

Thanks again,
Onno
In Austin, you can try: Mother's Cafe, Galaxy Cafe, Veggie Heaven, Mr. Natural, & Kerbey Lane for good stuff. Mother's is one of the old stand bys and has just been completely remodeled after a bad fire.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:03 AM

We're in Fredericksburg now. Did this yesterday and can strongly recommend it.
Bring lots of water! Climbs are not hard, just pleasantly rolling mostly. Stop at Harry's for a beer at the end of the Willow City Loop. It looks like a biker bar but.. well it is. But you can sit outside:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Willow-City-Loop

Our friend is praying for rain (it's a bit dry now, but it should be in bloom when you get here).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg php8SdZiyAM.jpg (45.1 KB, 175 views)
Old 03-09-2009, 10:34 AM
Yellow Bianchi Ron

Sounds like Hellweek to me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onno
We won't be riding ALL the time, though, so I'm wondering if forumites have suggestions about things we should do and see while in the area.
I have my own opinions about the event and that's all I'm going to say about that.

A great place to eat is the Hilltop Restaurant. Go 11 miles west from Fredericksburg on Hwy 87. It looks like a abandoned gas station where you might be able to get a greesy burger. That's not on the menu. The food is made by a chef not a cook.

Ride down Old Mason road when the wind is from the North or West direction. You will never enjoy yourself so much on your bike. I'll be with you in spirit.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:18 PM

Round Rock

Does anyone have an opinion regarding Round Rock? I may be relocating there in the near future.

Thanks
Old 03-09-2009, 05:47 PM

It's Growing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grateful
Does anyone have an opinion regarding Round Rock? I may be relocating there in the near future.

Thanks
....that's for sure! It's basically part of Austin now, as Georgetown nearly is, too! Busy area's but some nice riding not far away!
"When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking!" -- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 03-09-2009, 05:52 PM

Ditto!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paczki
We're in Fredericksburg now. Did this yesterday and can strongly recommend it.
Bring lots of water! Climbs are not hard, just pleasantly rolling mostly. Stop at Harry's for a beer at the end of the Willow City Loop. It looks like a biker bar but.. well it is. But you can sit outside:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Willow-City-Loop

Our friend is praying for rain (it's a bit dry now, but it should be in bloom when you get here).
I can vouch for the route and the beer joint!...AND for the "take lots of water!" If Harry's isn't open then this can be close to a 60-miler without a place to buy water....when I "do" F-burg I always put one of those extra two bottle thingie's on my seat tube. I'm coming in on Wednesday, going back into Austin on Thursday morning to do the Wounded Warrior ride out of Mellow Johnny's and then back to FBG to ride the local 20 mile Thursday night ride out of the Hill Country Bicycle Works shop on the main drag. ID yourselves as forumites if you ride any of this Thursday-stuff!
"When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking!" -- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 03-09-2009, 05:55 PM

Hey Big Guy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzbvh5
I have my own opinions about the event and that's all I'm going to say about that.
I know, the quality of the people you've met on the Hellweek rides is below par!....right?....guess that would include ME!!!!! How ya doin' YELLOW B man!!??? You gonna be in FBG anytime soon?