Under very rare circumstances the stars really do align:
• Trip for work cancels at last minute
• Primary clients out of the office
• Lots of ‘use it or lose it’ vacation days ready to expire
• Forecast low 48 high 72;
• Clear skies; light winds
• Wife running errands all day
• Kids at school all day

It’s an opportunity too good to pass up. Shove a couple Powerbars in the jersey pocket, pump of the tires on the Legend Ti and roll out.

Training? Base miles? Don't have them and anyway who needs ‘em? It’s a pretty day, I’m off work and it’s time to ride a century.

Nice tailwind, over the rolling hills. Smooth roads, Caribbean blue sky. Quick 50 miles outbound. Swing around and start back. Stop for a sandwich. Sit under a big oak tree, watch the trucks full of oranges roll by. Gear down, roll into the wind. Climb back over the hills. Keep the spin steady. A quick stop for water. Roll it on home. 100 all done, just like that! Short nap in on the front lawn. They don’t come much better than that!
Old 03-06-2009, 06:48 AM
banana

Hey! I thought the cycling in FL was miserable. Are you people just trying to keep it for yourselves?!?
Old 03-06-2009, 08:49 AM

Good for you, man. Sounds like something worth living for. Can't wait for some rides like that up here - once our high temps get above your lows...
Old 03-06-2009, 08:54 AM

I miss Florida.

Texas isn’t too bad. I’m working on my second sunburn of the year.
Old 03-06-2009, 09:12 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Nice.
That kind of time-in-the-saddle mileage early in the season will definitely pay dividends later in the spring / summer, for sure.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Hills in Florida??? You must have either ridden in the Tallahassee or Clermont area...but you mentioned trucks full of oranges, so I'm thinking Clermont.
Old 03-06-2009, 11:45 AM
Too Few Miles

Hills? In FL? Yup!

Hey!

A couple of folks have responded and sent pm's wondering what's with the hills in Florida thing.

Well, heading out of Orlando into Lake County towards and around Clermont there are some really nice rolling hills, and very little traffic at all. It's a wonderful place to ride.

For those who know Central Florida the ride yesterday started in S.W. Orlando. For those of you who've done the Sunday rides starting from Windemere Elementry this would be 90 mile round trip.

Bascially out on Marsh/Tilden to Hancock North. Old 50 West to Minneola. Grassy Lake Loop (backwards). 561A South. 561 North. 455 West. 19 North to Howey in the Hills. 48 West till it ends at rt. 27. Through Opulampka on local road over to the 'bridge' over the turnpike. Turnaround and head back just staying on 455 all the way through to the local streets in Oakland towards Winter Garden and then 545 South to the curve and back into Windemere.

The rollers basically end when you get on 19 which has a nice wide smooth shoulder. There are a few little rolls on 48 which is also well paved. Although there is a bit of semi traffic blasting by as you get towards the Turnpike.

Best,

Joel
Old 03-06-2009, 12:14 PM
Administrator

So do I get a prize or something BTW, I used to live in Altamonte Springs and I loved riding in Clermont...especially Sugarloaf Mtn Road an Buck Hill. I still try and get over there ever now and then, but it's been a while.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:21 PM

riding in Fl is great. I got out yesterday for a long lunch. 2hr in bibs and jersey, 70º, sunny blue skys, perfect. Supposed to be 78 sat and sun for the Albany race wkn.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:37 PM
I need you cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith A
Hills in Florida??? ....
speedbumps as you roll out of the parking lot.

Sounds fun!

I'm envious....it's bright, clear and cold here in Seattle....but work beckons. Snow and rain forecast thru the weekend.
Old 03-06-2009, 02:58 PM
Dutch Oven

Davis bike club did this a few years back (they may still do it). The club has a big brevet riding contingent, one of the guys led a Wednesday night century which left town at about 5pm. In the winter...

I did this and it went up in the hills west of town until right over the Napa County line, near Nichelini Winery. Pretty creepy to be back on those roads in the dark on a bike. Temps in the hills got to near freezing with some fog coming down. Light went dead about 35 miles from home. Classic suffer fest.