Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 03-03-2009, 11:48 AM

What is the Best way to hang bikes horizontally on walls?

I am looking for a solution to hang some of my bikes on the wall because I am running out of floor space. Has anyone bought any retail product that can hold both sloping and traditional frames reliably?

Just to give you an idea, I have found this one but have never seen it nor heard much about it on reviews:
http://www.brandsplace.com/0078-45040.html

Any help is most appreciated!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg brandsplace_2041_4299077988.jpg (10.2 KB, 521 views)
Old 03-03-2009, 12:03 PM

I have 2 similar racks on my wall and they work like they should, no problems with sloped frames either. Unless the 2 hooks are really close together i dont c you having a problem with weight distribution on any frame.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuscanyswe
I have 2 similar racks on my wall and they work like they should, no problems with sloped frames either. Unless the 2 hooks are really close together i dont c you having a problem with weight distribution on any frame.
Which one do you have? The one above is a $30.00 + shipping.. and if you need 10 of them.. it gets up there...
Old 03-03-2009, 12:15 PM

OH 10 bikes, thats alot.

I have the cheapest modell i could find and it was like 20 usd i think from a mall. I just made sure the bolts used to secure it to the wall were made for the job. I doubt the construction itself would fail no matter what model.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:15 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=6600
Old 03-03-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93legendti
Thanks, 93legendti. I did take a look at that one but I was looking for something more discrete to show off the bike more than the holder. I have a loft style place and was thinking of hanging my clean and bloody dirty bikes up I don't ride for the moment.

Sad, but I tend to keep my bikes and I have more than 10...
Old 03-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Adam/SerottaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacysti888
Thanks, 93legendti. I did take a look at that one but I was looking for something more discrete to show off the bike more than the holder. I have a loft style place and was thinking of hanging my clean and bloody dirty bikes up I don't ride for the moment.

Sad, but I tend to keep my bikes and I have more than 10...
I have 4 of these in my garage. They work well, but they are not art.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:23 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

How about lugs?

Another option is a custom-built rack steel rack for as many bicycles as you wish...like the one shown below.
It might be a few bucks, yet a custom rack, with painted tubes, and smoothly clearcoated steel hangers could be just the artsy ticket for your sweet loft!

You could give Bob over at Bob Brown Cycles a call at 1-651-247-1851.
Click on the links above to see bigger pictures. His shop is in Saint Paul, Minnesota. Good luck!

Old 03-03-2009, 07:30 PM

Conde

The Conde Rack is rock solid if you can find a stud to drill in the rack.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg iphone Pictures 046.jpg (79.8 KB, 376 views)
File Type: jpg iphone Pictures 047.jpg (100.6 KB, 371 views)

Last edited by sevencyclist; 03-03-2009 at 07:44 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:08 PM

Is it for the garage or for show?

If its in the garage just make these: http://www.instructables.com/id/Foldaway-bike-racks/
I think each one takes 10-15 minutes.

-Joe
Old 03-03-2009, 08:18 PM

Rubbermaid!

Sounds crazy, I know, but Rubbermaid makes a system that is really sturdy and reasonable price-wise. I first saw this system at Richardson Bike Mart in Dallas...they hang their tandoms on the system so I KNEW that the weight-handling concern I had was NOT going to be an issue with my 16-22 lb. bikes!!! Hang it high and you can get vertical hooks that allow you to hang about 4-5 bikes on one 8' strip. Or go horizontal with a different type of hook. The strips are about $18.00 for an 8 footer, $8.00 for a 4 footer. The hooks are about $8.00 each. You can position the hooks anywhere along the strip AND left-over space can be used with any number of other hook/clamps for hanging anything from rakes to lawn mowers! I'll post a picture of the 8 footers that I installed this week as soon as the paint on the wall dries....I can easily hang 8 bikes in about a 16 foot area, and hang 'em high (ha! movie title!) enough to allow a ton of stuff to be stored below them. Get this system at Home Depot but you'll have to find it yourself because NONE of the HD's that I went to had anyone working that knew what I wanted and said they didn't have them....then I went off and found the damn stuff in THEIR store's on my own!!!! Figures.
"When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking!" -- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
Old 03-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

The OP mentioned they are for use "inside a loft to hold 10+ bikes" and the storage should showcase the bicycles more than the rack holding them.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Jays
Another option is a custom-built rack steel rack for as many bicycles as you wish...like the one shown below.
It might be a few bucks, yet a custom rack, with painted tubes, and smoothly clearcoated steel hangers could be just the artsy ticket for your sweet loft!

Dang... Those custom made holders are sweeet! I don't know how it will look if I wanted my bikes horizontal.. But I will check them out! Thanks!
Old 03-03-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevencyclist
The Conde Rack is rock solid if you can find a stud to drill in the rack.
THAT is a sweet piece! I wonder... Thanks, sevencyclist.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:11 PM

xjoex: It's for my loft and I wanted something smaller where I can place them in an organized chaotic manner..those won't allow me that freedon.
Thanks for the tip! They do look very solid.

trophyoftexas: Funny you mentioned hooks. I was thinking of them with colored vinyl wraps.. it's a tough call, because there isn't much flexibility when you have both sloping and standard framesets... bummer..