Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-06-2008, 01:20 PM

DA 9 sp vs Campy Record??

Hi,
I currently ride a Ottrott ST with Dura Ace 9 speed group.
I'm considering another Serotta with Campy Record (08 10 speed).

How do the two compare on quality/feel of shifting, quietness, etc.

Appreciate any comments you have. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:24 PM

check the archives for lots of comments. In my experience they both shift well. Shimano makes a "snick" and Campy makes a "clack". When I run 48 or 46 tooth big rings on triples I prefer Campy because the front brifter isn't really indexed so I can just move the lever until the middle ring engages. On Shimano I click as far as the lever will move (2 clicks) and then back 1 click gently. When I have standard DA or Ultegra triples they shift a bit quicker than Campy triples because the indexing is spot-on.

I have 9 and 10 speed Campy but sold my Legend w/10 speed DA so I now have only 9 speed Ultegra. They are all good. If both hoods were equally comfy for me I might lean toward Shimano because replacement parts are so much less expensive(chains, cassettes, brake pads). Shimano parts/service is more available in rural areas too.
Old 10-06-2008, 02:37 PM

They are very different, IMO, and it is very individual!

I've had both, and they both "work" equally well, but I'm a campy guy....with no plans of changing.

Here's why I go campy...
1. Shifter hoods.....nice wide, flat tops....I have no experience with the new stuff, but looks very similar.
2. separate braking, and shifting......I use this feature a lot, and find it very valuable....really like the thumb shifter.
3. shfting is very "crisp", you know when you have shifted from one gear to the next......shimano is smooth, which is nice, but tends to get sloppy as it wears in, and requires minor periodic adjustments.
4. rebuildable levers.....probably would never use this option, but I like that it's possible....in this disposable world.
5. asethetics......this is just personal opinion.

Really both work great.......chorus and ultegra are the best groups on the market, IMO......no reason to spend more.

"Common sense is not so common!"
Old 10-06-2008, 05:39 PM

Cresting that hill, dump the cassette and stand and go(Campy). Go 10 speed.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcakilmer
They are very different, IMO, and it is very individual!

I've had both, and they both "work" equally well, but I'm a campy guy....with no plans of changing.

Here's why I go campy...
1. Shifter hoods.....nice wide, flat tops....I have no experience with the new stuff, but looks very similar.
2. separate braking, and shifting......I use this feature a lot, and find it very valuable....really like the thumb shifter.
3. shfting is very "crisp", you know when you have shifted from one gear to the next......shimano is smooth, which is nice, but tends to get sloppy as it wears in, and requires minor periodic adjustments.
4. rebuildable levers.....probably would never use this option, but I like that it's possible....in this disposable world.
5. asethetics......this is just personal opinion.

Really both work great.......chorus and ultegra are the best groups on the market, IMO......no reason to spend more.
+1! Well stated. Couldn't have said it better myself.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:02 AM

no contest

I know it's a personal opinion, but I made the switch to campy from shimaNO, and I can definitely say that I am happy with the shift (tee hee hee). It shifts cleaner, looks better, weighs less, fits the hand better, PLUS, it's cheap right now (in comparison to all the new stuff, and its original price).
Old 10-07-2008, 01:21 AM
50 bpm

Also, chicks dig Campy.
Old 10-07-2008, 02:17 AM

I completely agree with jhcakilmer (I admit I'm a "biased" Campa guy).

I would only add this to what he said:
2) Braking: I LOVE the thumb brake release: it makes a lot of sense on Campa brakes, and also works with any other non-brake lever caliper releases (including ZG brakes to some extent, even though the ZG pivot for the cam does incorporate a (two-handed) caliper release mechanism for full opening).
3) Shifting: QS is good.
4) Rebuilding: I haven't used it either, but the option is terrific, as well as the "backward compatibility" (or whatever Campa calls it...I'm not sure if Shimano has it).
5) Aesthetics: Oh, h*ll yes!!! Look at the "Who else finds this group ugly?" thread. Vicenza has engineers and designers; Shimano has only engineers, imho.

Plus:
6) True on Chorus and Ultegra: +/- $190 more just for a Record UT 10-S crankset v. Chorus UT 10-S buys you different label and a few extra ti bits, not to mention the same upcharge on the other components; that's a big cost/performance/gram upcharge for really no better performance.
7) Campa makes Flat Bar shifters (Chorus and Mirage): convenient for city or "cross-muter" bikes.
8) To me, when looking for Shimano components (i.e. for MTB) I find their component numbering system truly confusing and never updated on their site (try finding the component numbers/descriptions/compatibilty of older (and not so old) XT or XTR components on their site: not there.

Also: true on erector's price point: with SR-11 coming, Campa 10-S will come down in price: heck, a Centaur group now is already as good as Record of a few years ago.
Old 10-07-2008, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elefantino
Also, chicks dig Campy.

+1
Old 10-07-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulspinner
Cresting that hill, dump the cassette and stand and go(Campy). Go 10 speed.
I just got my first bike w/ Campy. I was on a century on my DA bike and really missed this option when cresting a hill. Instead of dropping the thump and a nice "clump" down a handfull of gears, I'm going, "clickclickclickclickclick".

I was annoyed and then saw the light.

Sooo....... 09 Centaur, 08 Record or man up and go 11 speed? Hmph.

Or I could get a Legend w/ Super Record 11, sell a kidney or two, and never look in the classifieds again!! Yeah... like I'd never look at the classifieds again...