Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-13-2008, 03:26 PM

What bike is this?

hey there:

recently acquired this frame on ebay, and am building it up with select campy parts for a classic, racy century machine. anyone know what frame it is? legend ti? ti? the serial number is: TI54L00067. i'm thinking early nineties or so. if you're the original owner of this frame, i'd love to hear from you. thanks a lot.

n.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S7300724.jpg (73.9 KB, 273 views)
Old 07-13-2008, 03:29 PM

Looks like a Legend from the years it was not called Legend, only Ti.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:34 PM
You still here?

It appears to be one of the very early Ti bikes that Serotta built, # 67. I'm not sure of the year, may 94~95 (?) E-mail Serotta info@serotta.com with the serial number and they may be able to provide the exact info.

Nice bike!
Old 07-13-2008, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave thompson
It appears to be one of the very early Ti bikes that Serotta built, # 67. I'm not sure of the year, may 94~95 (?) E-mail Serotta info@serotta.com with the serial number and they may be able to provide the exact info.

Nice bike!
I believe that Dave is right on the money.

I have a early Ti bike (serial # TI57L1032) and the response that I received from Andrew at Serotta was that: "The serial number you have sent is an older stock geometry. Most likely it was a Colorado Ti and it is a 57 seat tube, 57 top tube, 73 seat angle, 73.5 head tube angle, 41.5 stay. built sometime around 1994. hope that helps."

See what you can find out but most importantly enjoy your new bike. They are great!!!

Dave
Old 07-13-2008, 04:30 PM
Veni Veloce Vomiti

I own a 53Lxxxxx Serotta TG steel bike from that era. I believe the 'L' in the serial number refers to 'Long'. That is, the top tube is proportionally longer than the seat tube. You'll note that the seat tube extends slightly higher above the top tube than 'conventional' bikes of that era. My TG measures 56 to the top of the seat tube collar but 53 to the center of the top tube. The Top tube is 55 cm c-to-c from the seat tube to the head tube. My take is that this was an early form of 'compact' frame, designed more toward racing, since the rider could get the headset/bars down low compared to the saddle. This was the era before integrated headsets allowed for lower overall stack heights.

Dave Kirk would likely have the lowdown on this type of frame.

Mike in AR
Old 07-13-2008, 04:42 PM
Bike Fitter

First year production Legend Ti as it was just a Ti frame then, a give away is the seat collar attachment. Serotta had a re-design on that with a slip on collar that followed.