Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-14-2004, 06:21 PM
DownTick

Aerobars

What is your opinion on adding clip-on aerobars to a road bike (Cannondale R3000)? They can be had with as little as a ~300 gram addition. I experience wrist discomfort when riding because 95% of my ride is spent on the dropdown bars. I like this position because of the aerodynamics and I seem to have more power. I even climb on the dropdowns. I only ride solo so safety in a group is not a concern.

Thank you
Old 10-14-2004, 06:45 PM
JohnS

You'd have to change your saddle position, which would compromise your regular position. Try different handlebars, to get a different angle for your wrists.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:46 PM

Better yet - get fitted by a GOOD fitter. A new stem or bars could fix your problem.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:46 PM

Location: Now riding in Shreveport, LA and stationed at Barksdale AFB.
I love my aerobars on my Ottrott. When you primarily ride solo you can drop on the bars and relax there for quite a long while.
Old 10-15-2004, 05:54 AM
Ape and Essence

D.T., During my dark days training for Ultras my wrists were hammered and often added aerobars to take any pressure off my hands / wrists just as you suggest...good idea. If you use something like a so called "Big Slam" position you will not need to change your saddle position infact it's made to order for roadies. Look for aerobars that put your elbows low and behind the bars and are easy to put on take off. I like "Syntace C2" and "Visiontech TT Clipon".
Old 10-15-2004, 06:45 AM
PROTECT THIS HOUSE!!

Rather than full aero bars, you could add a pair of cinelli spinacis (sp?) and put a couple of small pads for your wrists on the tops of your bars...
Old 10-15-2004, 07:48 AM
PROTECT THIS HOUSE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall
D.T., During my dark days training for Ultras my wrists were hammered and often added aerobars to take any pressure off my hands / wrists just as you suggest...good idea. If you use something like a so called "Big Slam" position you will not need to change your saddle position infact it's made to order for roadies. Look for aerobars that put your elbows low and behind the bars and are easy to put on take off. I like "Syntace C2" and "Visiontech TT Clipon".

Too Tall, bro, the drunkman can recommend some exercises to strengthen those wrists! You may also increase your tricep strength if you involve your arms in the exercise!
Old 10-15-2004, 08:23 AM
Ape and Essence

I'm depraved but not deprived my man. Wrists are fine for now. How's the weather?
Old 10-15-2004, 01:28 PM

not sure what your question is but regarding clip-on's maybe you should read this: http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadin...l#Anchor-44867

as for personal experience, being a triathlete, I'll chime in that the profile jammers will fit without having to mess up your road position too much. normal aerobars are generally too large. The syntace bars are A LOT more comfortable though. They came out with a new model, the XXS which might be juuuust right.

as for the wrist discomfort ... what about those handlebars with more curves in 'em? (more positions etc.)
Old 10-15-2004, 01:41 PM

i tried aerobars...

for TT's about 3 months this summer.
...i was fitted by my LBS and gave it a good try...
i felt draped too far over the top of the bike
with my center of gravity too far forward.
i also had trouble with impairment in my lung capacity...
i put FSA carbon handlebars on instead
and my similar wrist problem has completely resolved.
so i gave my aerobars away
and my best friend is very happy that they didn't work for me...
Old 10-17-2004, 08:46 PM
dave.delano

aero bars

Be sure to get the whole bike fitted, if you add aero bars to a road bike. Even with a top-notch (Serotta) fitter, the bars put too much weight on the front wheel of my Cannondale . The twitchy handling got even sketchier with the extra weight in front. Watch those descents!