Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Custom Bikes

Old 08-30-2004, 05:43 PM
ZhugeLiang

Titan Swiss Frames

This is a Columbus-SLX tubed new old stock (NOS) lugged steel built and painted in Italy for Swiss Manufacturer Titan in the 80's. I got it from a fellow Serotta member Frank. Apart from owning a new beautiful frame, I had the most pleasant experience interacting with Frank and getting to know his passion for old school lugged steel Italian bikes, which is right by my alley. We also ride the same size bike, so I suggest to Frank that we should start a time-shared program and just exchange our bikes.

The frame measures 53cm from the center of the bottom bracket to the center of the top tube, or 54.5cm from the center of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube, with a 55cm top tube. It is painted pearl white with blue, green, and purple accents. It has hearts cut and painted in the head tube lug and chromed seat stays and chain stays. Rear brake cable is routed internally in the top tube.

What is really unique about this bike, as Frank pointed out, is the crosshatch design cut into the top tube and down tube.

I transferred the Ultegra grouppo components over from the beautiful Serotta Atlanta that I had, which admittedly is one size too small for me -- 52 cm Lugged Steel Pearl White, eBay, shame, shame

The original frame came with a threadless Tange chromed fork (made in Taiwan) which I intend to use once the set of threadless stem and headset I have ordered come in. Right now, it has the Altanta carbon fork on.

To me, the sad part is we don't know who made this frame. I mean it looks to be fine craftsmanship and it rides great just as I remembered it back in the days of my very first racing bike an Italian-made Olmo. The only decal on the bike says "Varnished by Dossena Carlo".

I know this is not expensive zoot but it's my first non-Serotta contribution to the Custom Bikes gallery so I am excited.

Your feedback (both good and bad) are welcome. If you happen to know who the framebuilder is just by looking, please let me know.

thanks!
weisan

Last edited by weisan; 01-04-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:16 PM
ZhugeLiang

A couple more shots

Last edited by weisan; 08-30-2004 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:42 AM
ZhugeLiang

Maiden Ride Report

Took it out for its first official maiden ride this morning. Here are some initial impressions. Just FYI, my frame of reference is to compare it to my Serotta Atlanta and the Legend.

Comparing it to the Atlanta is more of an apple-to-apple comparison because they are both lugged steel and uses the same exact components (I just transfer over). The only difference: The Altanta is 52 cm Reynolds C3 Steel Colorado Concept tubing, the Italian-Titan is 53 cm Columbus SLX tubing. The Legend, obviously is a C4Ti, and is 54 cm. I am using the Legend as the benchmark because it's the smoothest and my most favorite ride currently.

Here's how the Titan measure up.

I prefer the Titan to the Atlanta. The size fits better and it offers a bit more flex which I like. The Atlanta is just a tab too stiff for me, I think that's a result of its relative small frame size. I seems to remember reading somewhere that the smaller a frame gets, the stiffness inadvertently will go up as well.

The Legend weighs 17-18 Ibs. The Titan is probably around 19-20 Ibs (same as Atlanta). But going up a hill, the weight difference is not immediately noticeable.

The bike handles the rough stuff on the road very well, kind of like the Legend, better than the Atlanta. I like the feedback I am getting from the road surface, the "noise level" is just right, not totally muted out, but not too rowdy enough to get my attention.

With a slacker tube angles, and broader wheelbase, the bike is very stable and not twitchy in its front end. Definitely not for riding in crits, but for any ride > 50 miles or back-to-back centuries, it is a good choice.

The ultimate litmus test for me is to see if this bike can "mold" right into my riding style which is smooth constant-pressure-round-the-revolution pedaling, standing high cadence hill climb instead of piston-pump leg action or high torque gear-meshing. I must say, at the early stage, everything points to a promising start.

I will know more later this weekend when I take it out for my regular long ride.

Thanks for listening.

weisan

Last edited by weisan; 08-31-2004 at 11:18 AM.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:54 PM

Thumbs up Looks great...nice build job!

Weisan,

I am glad you like the bike. You did a great job building it up...it looks very nice. I am glad the ride is to your liking also. I hope you continue to enjoy the bike and am glad our paths crossed.

Frank
Old 09-01-2004, 12:02 AM
commuter racer

dude,

that bike is so rad! Everything I always loved about italian bikes! Beautuful lugs, crazy paint and classy good looks.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:56 AM
ZhugeLiang

Thanks Frank and Shino for your generous comments.

Frank, I saw that you just got a Bianchi. Do you intend to build it up?

Shino, I am glad you like the color scheme because I understand that not everybody does, like my good friend John, he thinks it's too "rainbowy-cheezy" and looks like some guy has too much time in his hands who taped up the tube and dry brushed the heck of it. And as if that's not enough, he uses a palette knife and scratches cross-hatches all over.

I took his comments in good humor and was not offended at all, at some point, it does seem that way. haaa..haaa!

weisan
Old 09-01-2004, 01:19 AM
commuter racer

well... I just stuck purple tires on my green and white atlanta...so go figure..ha ha

I'll post pix this week!!

Old 09-01-2004, 09:03 AM
ZhugeLiang

Shino, you are one creative type.
Old 09-02-2004, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weisan
The only decal on the bike says "Varnished by Dossena Carlo".
That rang a bell with me when I was at work looking at your pictures. "Varnish" is such an oddball term to my ear and I knew I had seen it somewhere before.

Same decal on my Casati Dardo - not sure this means your bike is a Casati or that they simply used the same "varnisher." But, a clue is a clue.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Carlo.jpg (140.7 KB, 2786 views)
Old 09-02-2004, 05:28 PM
ZhugeLiang

Probably just the painter

Hi Terry,

That's probably just the name of the painter of this frame. Frank told me he had a Guerciotti frame that bears the guy's name as well. Is he the Joe Bell of Italy??

Thanks for the tip, though. Maybe finding this guy in Italy can help me identify who the original framebuilder was.

Anyone here have special connections back in Italy? Senor Jerk? dbrk?
This is probably going too much trouble for what it's worth...I am just going to ride the bike and enjoy it while I can.

weisan

Last edited by weisan; 09-02-2004 at 05:41 PM.
Old 09-07-2004, 01:12 AM

I have a de bernardi with the same varnished by decal and the heart cutouts on the lugs. Looks like the painter gets around, and he did a better job on yours than my de bernardi. Nice looking bike.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:25 AM
ZhugeLiang

Thanks for the note, Malcolm.

Took another ride with this new bike over the weekend, and now with the chain problem fixed (turned out to be a loose link + too long a chain), put it through a couple of "normal rider stress tests" - hill sprints, flat high torque, high speed descent, sharp turning, no-hand riding etc.

I am comparing it to my Legend Ti, which to me is close to the perfect ride.

Legend Ti - 9.8/10

Italian Titan - 9.5/10

Consider what I paid for this frame, it's amazing to say the least. I am selling my Atlanta (8.8/10). With this, I am experiencing the true steel carpet ride.

weisan

Last edited by weisan; 09-07-2004 at 12:34 PM.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:54 PM

I'm guessing that the varnished by tag might be referring to a brand of paint. You know, like decals identifying the tubing.
Old 01-01-2005, 01:26 AM

there's a similar frame for sale on ebay - the maker is by CIOCC.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
hope this helps I D your very nice frame.
wanker
Old 01-01-2005, 07:53 AM
ZhugeLiang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanker
there's a similar frame for sale on ebay - the maker is by CIOCC.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
hope this helps I D your very nice frame.
wanker
AMAZING!! That's all I can say for now. Thanks Wanker. I will get back with you later, now I am heading out for a long solo ride. I will be back in five hours.

weisan