Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-03-2007, 11:22 AM

riding like kids

Kevan said it and he's right and I forgot this part of my childhood.. In San Diego we have wonderful weather almost every day but scenic, twisty roads with little tarffic are few and/or a fair way out of town. Since I really don't like riding with the sound of cars zipping past me I gravitate toward rides through the UCSD Campus including sidewalks through married student housing, little-used parking lots, the cyclo-crioss course, research parks on weekends, the bike/pedestrian path around Mission Bay on week days in the Fall-Spring season, condo projects, etc. Grinding it out in a straight line up the coast highway gets old for me if over done. Once or twice a month is plenty except in the Summer when the ladies in beach attire provide additional scenery to the natural wonders.

I enjoy riding on twisty sidewalks where allowed. picking lines through corners, short rollers I can power up without blowing up.

When I get to the hot dog or taco stand I lean the bike whereever it looks safest. Sometimes I have a cable lock if I rode a bike with a roomy saddlebag and sometimes I just try to stick in a tight place where a quick grab and go would be difficult.

Try it soon- or errrrr, when weather permits for some of you. If you have a saddle that allows you to ride in regular clothes it's even better.
Old 12-03-2007, 01:10 PM

If you have a saddle that allows you to ride in regular clothes it's even better.

bro we are on the same page . joy of riding like a kid.. i get it everyday go fast go slow play on the bike ..have lunch go shop anything almost that you do with a car . bro maybe it is cos we are warm weather cats
cheers imho
Old 12-03-2007, 09:21 PM

Just watch out for those clothes lines...

It's always a treat riding with you Ken. Good tasting dogs and terrific looking bikes. Thanks again.
||O,
|| \_/\_
--"----------"'---''-----'---''-------'---
Old 12-03-2007, 10:25 PM
Certified Campy Snob

Ken -- How much for the lobster dinner at Torrey Pines?
Old 12-04-2007, 12:06 AM

all we had at Torrey was a Nut Goodie from my stash.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:26 AM

The thing about regular clothes

I've been riding the "beater" MTB around quite a bit, often pulling the trailer. Seems a little goofball to put on bib shorts and a jersey. So, I just wear my regular old clothes. It's kind of nice. No one expects you to be able to ride fast, know how to handle your bike, etc.

Yesterday, I did just this. Jeans and T-shirt, Molteni trainer (ok, I want the people in the know to know) and took the little guy out to the park in the trailer. Hung at the park for a while. He got tired and grabbed his helmet, so it was time to go. Took a nice loop through Asilomar beach loop. Passed a couple of "pro" dressed MTB'ers. I'm sure they probably wondered what was up with the dude in the jeans and wool sweater knocking 'em off with a trailer to boot. I smiled a little at this.

Anyway, it's really nice to just kick around in the street clothes. Ken is right though, you gotta have the right saddle. I just popped on a Brooks Champion Flyer Special. It rocks. If it didn't look so much like an old lady saddle and weigh more than the frame itself, I'd probably put one on all my bikes.'

Jon
Old 12-04-2007, 07:12 AM

Some mornings

I ride my single-speed a quarter-mile up the street to the bus stop with my teenage son, just to spend a few extra minutes with him, get out and smell the air, and coast back down the hill with my chin on the stem.
Old 12-04-2007, 08:07 AM
Barry1021

cycling adds years to your life

and takes years off your state of mind. Who can ask for anything more??

b21