Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-01-2007, 10:06 AM

Slide board for cross training

Any of you use the slide board for indoor cross training? I am intrigued and looking for an alternative to the indoor trainer for the winter. Specifically, I am wondering how applicable to cycling is the training? And how technically challenging is it for a non-skater?

http://www.skatelog.com/slideboards/
Old 12-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Mufflerman

They are easy to use, boring as hell. If you can push with your leg and swing your arm at the same time then it's no problem. I had one back in my hockey coaching days and no one ever liked using it.
Old 12-01-2007, 12:37 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

I have one. Bought it a few years ago. It's essentially a slippery piece of plastic with ends to keep you from sliding off and booties to put over your shoes. It was kind of fun at first, but after about 10 minutes got boring. I used it maybe a dozen times then consigned it to the basement. I'm not a skater either, but had little trouble picking up the technique. (FYI, compared to cycling outside I hate nearly all indoor excercise activities, so YMMV.)

I'd give it to you, but the shipping would be similar to the cost to buy one, so you might want to just try it out.

Aside: It's a heck of a lot more expensive, but IMO the best form of indoor cross-training is the Concept 2 rower. Not nearly as mind-numbingly boring as rollers.

Louis

Last edited by Louis; 12-01-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 01:15 PM

OK, not such a good idea.

Maybe the equipment-less, free version is equally effective:

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=6V5MC9oLYmU

And when this gets boring, nothing lost!
Old 12-01-2007, 04:34 PM
Ape and Essence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis
I have one. Bought it a few years ago. It's essentially a slippery piece of plastic with ends to keep you from sliding off and booties to put over your shoes. It was kind of fun at first, but after about 10 minutes got boring. I used it maybe a dozen times then consigned it to the basement. I'm not a skater either, but had little trouble picking up the technique. (FYI, compared to cycling outside I hate nearly all indoor excercise activities, so YMMV.)

I'd give it to you, but the shipping would be similar to the cost to buy one, so you might want to just try it out.

Aside: It's a heck of a lot more expensive, but IMO the best form of indoor cross-training is the Concept 2 rower. Not nearly as mind-numbingly boring as rollers.

Louis
Ding ding ding iding!!!! +1 for Concept2 rowing. Now THAT'S indoor cross training.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:50 PM

former skater here

I made one out of plywood and formica about 20 years ago, bolted 2 x 3s on the ends and used wool socks, incredibly smooth and effective, boring but irreplaceable for off skates training.

OK - which concept 2 does everyone recommend?