Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-28-2007, 11:22 AM
Serotta Biased and HSG Luster

Holland Frames

This is a continuation of the Holland thread, that was closed because of some of the comments on individuals and not on the Holland Frame.

Please feel free to posts on frame, builder, ride, etc,,,

Sorry the other thread needed to be closed.

PETE
Old 11-28-2007, 12:29 PM

I've got an Isogrid (already own an Exogrid) that JB's finishing up. Should be done by next week. I'll post pics of that masterpiece here. So what's happening in Austin, Mikki? Jeff N.

Last edited by Jeff N.; 11-28-2007 at 12:32 PM.
Old 11-28-2007, 02:46 PM
jmewkill

All I can say is that he is a hell of a rider.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:28 AM

Austin

Hi Jeff,

Wow. What a city! We had a fabulous time between the great cycling, the wonderful weather, the music scene and the too good food. (A place called Vin Bistro is the best food/wine pairing restaurant we've ever had the pleasure to visit outside of Bourdeaux, France). My family has migrated into Texas (southern) so we visit them and then spend time in Austin each time we visit.

They have this local awareness program called "Please Be Kind To Cyclists" that started when one of their own was hit and killed recently. It is on bumper stickers, t-shirts, and they had a rally I understand that was covered by the press. I would love to bring that same awareness project out here to SoCal; our drivers are so unaware of how to drive around cyclists. Back there my husband and I just shook our heads in disbelief how courteous (by comparison) they are. Without exception they would wait for us to cross and move into the other lane until well past before moving back into the lane nearest us. At one point my husband had a blow out and a gal stopped to ask us if we needed a lift to the nearest bike shop. We were amazed.

If the weather weren't so hot for so long we'd be in Austin.

Back to the subject of this thread: Holland bikes. I am more and more thrilled by mine as time progresses. Bill not only is a fantastic cyclist, a kind, honest and extremely knowledgeable builder, but builds the bike exactly to who you are and what you need. My bike (Exogrid) is coveted everywhere I ride and I am completely happy with his work.

PS. Thank you so much for coaching me about going down "just to meet" Bill Holland. It was as a result of your openness and support in dozens of emails that I took the time to learn about his bikes for myself. I am eternally grateful!! I love my bike more each day and were it not for you I wouldn't have taken the time to meet him in person.

Last edited by mikki; 11-29-2007 at 06:56 PM.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:41 AM
ZhugeLiang

wait a sec...

mikki-pal, I thought you weren't planning to come till next year??? Did I mis-interpret or sumthin', sorry if I did. Sure love to do a ride together....
Old 11-29-2007, 10:14 AM

Friends

Hey Weisan,

No, you didn't misunderstand. My bike club is going to the Hill Country next October for a week of riding and seeing the area. This trip was mainly to see my brother and sis who with their families live in southern Texas. I didn't want to interfere with your Thanksgiving time with your beautiful family, so didn't mention that we were going back for a few days. Stilll hope you can join us next October for a ride. I understand there are many great routes to take in that area, eh?

I think it's pretty humorous that the nightclub/lounge that Lance owns is called "Six". Wouldn't ya think he'd change it to "Seven"? It's a neat concept though, done on three levels and all. We rode past the house he used to own on the lake; it's gorgeous!

Hope you had a restful and happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-29-2007, 01:02 PM
ZhugeLiang

oh good, I felt better now. Yes, absolutely, you won't run out of options riding in the hill country. October is the perfect time to come. I look forward to getting together...till then.

weisan
Old 11-29-2007, 10:48 PM

An Exogrid should be heading my way soon, and I've been picking up the bits & pieces to build it up (with the help of my LBS). Bill is generous with his time & knowledge. My first meeting with him was while I was in San Diego for a business trip, and I wanted to talk to him about possibly having him build me a ti bike (I already have a CdA). He explained the materials that he uses (I was able to follow since I used to be manage the raw materials for an aircraft builder) and he was quick to pick up on my level of knowledge...never talked down to me or over my head. I was in San Diego a couple of weeks ago (my brother lives just a couple of miles from the shop) and spent about an hour visiting with him and learning...including seeing pictures from his trip last summer with Cinghiale (that was prompted because I mentioned that my boyfriend & I are hoping to plan a 2009 trip to Italy). In anticipation of getting my new bike, I've been adding to my winter wardrobe of warm woolies. "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!"

Jeff...are you having your Isogrid tinted or painted? The tint colors look gorgeous. I really like painted bikes, but that just doesn't seem right for the Exogrid. I'm curious to hear about how the Iso vs. the Exo performs.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:34 PM

How awesome to see another female getting a Holland. You will be amazed with your Exogrid.

What angle of slope are you getting?
Old 11-30-2007, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBolt
An Exogrid should be heading my way soon, and I've been picking up the bits & pieces to build it up (with the help of my LBS). Bill is generous with his time & knowledge. My first meeting with him was while I was in San Diego for a business trip, and I wanted to talk to him about possibly having him build me a ti bike (I already have a CdA). He explained the materials that he uses (I was able to follow since I used to be manage the raw materials for an aircraft builder) and he was quick to pick up on my level of knowledge...never talked down to me or over my head. I was in San Diego a couple of weeks ago (my brother lives just a couple of miles from the shop) and spent about an hour visiting with him and learning...including seeing pictures from his trip last summer with Cinghiale (that was prompted because I mentioned that my boyfriend & I are hoping to plan a 2009 trip to Italy). In anticipation of getting my new bike, I've been adding to my winter wardrobe of warm woolies. "It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas!"

Jeff...are you having your Isogrid tinted or painted? The tint colors look gorgeous. I really like painted bikes, but that just doesn't seem right for the Exogrid. I'm curious to hear about how the Iso vs. the Exo performs.
It'll be painted. Plain Ti lugs, gloss black main tubes/rear stay/fork with red decals. But you're right, the candy/tint colors look nice, especially out in the sun. But I'm a gloss black kinda guy. Can't shake it. And yes, no paint for the Exogrid...not mine, anyway. Jeff N.
Old 12-01-2007, 04:50 PM

Jeff...looking forward to seeing pics. You'll be riding yours before me...snow up here today, and looks like we are now hitting our winter weather pattern. Last I heard from him, mine was going into the jig.

Mikki...I went with 4 degrees (he also showed me 6). I'd actually like to have a level top tube (no technical reason...just like the way they look), but didn't want to lose any more standover. My CdA is 4, too.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:40 PM

Quote:

Mikki...I went with 4 degrees (he also showed me 6). I'd actually like to have a level top tube (no technical reason...just like the way they look), but didn't want to lose any more standover. My CdA is 4, too.
Hey Lil,

I went with four also. Just seems more like a "real bike" even though I realize alot of folks are going with the compact frames these days.

Mine has toe overlap; have you experienced that on any other bike? (I hadn't, but it's not really much of an issue)...we just need to be aware of keeping the wheel straight when cycling very slowly or starting from a stop).

So glad to see another Holland rider here; especially another female!

Last edited by mikki; 12-01-2007 at 11:44 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Jeff...looking forward to seeing pics. You'll be riding yours before me...snow up here today, and looks like we are now hitting our winter weather pattern. Last I heard from him, mine was going into the jig.

Both my Exogrid and Isogrid have the exact same geometry with level TT's. (BTW, you can see my Exogrid at "Holland Exogrid" thread, page 3, if you "Search".). Jeff N.

Last edited by Jeff N.; 12-02-2007 at 10:01 AM.