Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-19-2007, 08:31 PM
commuter racer

Race reports anyone? Here is mine..

Lining up for the start of a early morning cross race with numb fingers while shivering in the pouring rain is probably not your idea of a good time. Quite frankly it wasn't my idea of a "good time" either, but that quickly changed.
It rained all week and Saturday night, so finally I got myself a wretched, filthy, miserable proper Portland cross race. The course at Hillsboro is basically flat with a few short hills to run, and were it dry and fair like the country-club course Atmo and company raced on, it likely would have a been a super fast crit race. That was not to be. It was slop. Bill Cosby Jello chocolate pudding is a good description of the consistency of about a quarter of the race.
This was my first race on tubulars which, thanks to Chrisroph, and E-Richie, proved to be a superior sort of tire to be sure. They really smooth out the bumps and corner like crazy at 34psi. They didn't roll off either. Chrisroph is a tire gluing ninja.
The race was fun. How could it not be? Even with mud blobs in my eye, inhaling smoke from a wood stove, a spill, and being forcer to run with my bike on my shoulder like some sort of wretched Medieval serf, I had a great time. My fingers were numb and I couldn't feel them when I was shifting, but they warmed up by the end of the race. Toupe saddles are no good for cross. On the last lap, the POS sharp tail snagged my shorts and I fell over like a sleeping, tipped cow.
I guess what I really need to get is a cute tent under which I can warm up on my turbo-trainer when It's raining. Either that or I should get a Winnebago.
After the race I hurried home to my pottery open house, where in just a few hours I raked in enough cash and checks to buy a custom steel frame. Yay! It's a day I will not soon forget.
I hope it keeps raining so Zank gets to race in the mud at PIR. He deserves only the very best Portland has to offer him. I plan on spraying him with PBR on every lap.

http://bikeportland.org/2007/11/19/e...rusade-finale/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hillsboro4.jpg (110.7 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg hillsboro5.jpg (111.7 KB, 260 views)
File Type: jpg hillsboro6.jpg (119.8 KB, 262 views)
File Type: jpg hillsboro3.jpg (110.3 KB, 259 views)

Last edited by shinomaster; 11-19-2007 at 08:41 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:37 PM
ba-da-bing

shino

cool story and pictures.

sorry about the toupe saddle!

which steel cross frame did u score?

cheers
-d
Old 11-19-2007, 08:40 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenCT
shino

cool story and pictures.

sorry about the toupe saddle!

which steel cross frame did u score?

cheers
-d

I didn't buy one yet. I still have a big wad of money in my pocket. I love that saddle but it's dangerous!
Old 11-19-2007, 08:42 PM

shino, stevep wanted to sell you this
idea, but he's over at roman meal's
sharpening his ice spud:

sell pots made from cross mud
Old 11-19-2007, 08:45 PM

Great photos and report Shino-dear. Way to go . . . mud and all!
RA
Old 11-19-2007, 08:47 PM

Let me get this straight. You slop around in mud and then sell pottery stuff. You make enough in a few hours to buy a custom frame?? My normal commute is 75 miles each way...but have to travel out of town often enough (two weeks at a time). I can only buy a custom bike in my derams. That is if my wife would let me. Im gonna have to reevaluate my business model.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Too Old and Too Big

amen

no saddles with rear points as they are bib/skinsuit tearers.

nothing worse than a hnag up like that

awesome tale
Old 11-19-2007, 08:56 PM
commuter racer

I busted my *** for two months making pottery. I basically worked a second full time job making stuff. If you total up the time and materials I made almost nothing. I was doing what I love, and it was good therapy for getting over my MP X. It also just made my heart sing, as it was the first time I made work in three years. Imagine not riding for three years, it was like that. I kept the good ones too for the Shinomaster permanent collection
Old 11-19-2007, 09:07 PM

glad you like the tubies an that they didn't roll.

you should pull off the wheels as give them a nice gently wash with a sponge and some mild detergent. Try to get all the grit out of the sides of the tires and rims. Let them dry and make sure the bond is still good between the tires and the rims (should be fine). Then get some aquaseal and seal the sidewall casings as the grit and moisture can work into the threads and cause damage.

After we spray zanc with pbr, and ring bells in his face, and otherwise generally cheer him on, you should talk to him about a nice custom frameset. In fact, if you are serious, you should send him a pm and get on the list. it would make that fuji feel like you're griffos make clinchers feel.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Post Mod-ern

Shino . . .

You.

Are.

Da' MAN!

BBD
A thing of beauty is a joy forever--Keats
Old 11-19-2007, 09:12 PM
commuter racer

Hmmm....Zanc? Speedvagen?

Yeah I was wondering about washing the tires. I gently hosed the wheels, and they were completely covered in mud. I brought them into my warm apartment. Where in Portland can I get aquaseal? Dude my fuji is 17 pounds of pimptasticness.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:14 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeeDave
You.

Are.

Da' MAN!

BBD

Thanks...But I am hardly anything of a cross racer. It is a very humbling sport.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:14 PM

Good job man. Didn't mean that you weren't worthy. Best wishes for the future.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:16 PM
commuter racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounder
Good job man. Didn't mean that you weren't worthy. Best wishes for the future.

Oh no offense taken! I just was thinking about it today. It seems like a lot of money, but it's not when you calculate the hours behind it. My friends were like a pack of locust. It was great, and they are very supportive. It troubles me personally that I can only make so much cash with artwork.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:16 PM

http://www.aquaseal.com/dealer1.php?...OR&submit=FIND