Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-07-2007, 03:06 PM
i like bikes!

Maine Free Wheelers Cycling Club

Hey,

Anyone here ever belong to this club at one point or another?
I'm moving up to the Bangor Maine area on Oct. 1st, and I can't find anything about any bike clubs that far north in Maine. Closest I came is the Belfast bike team, still 40 miles away.

Anyway, from what I can tell, the Maine Free Wheelers are the huge biking presence in the Bangor area, but I can't find anything else out about them. Anyone have any info???

All my Mainer's raise your hands.

Thanks!
Dan
Old 09-07-2007, 03:40 PM

Hey, can't speak for the Maine Free Wheelers, but you should definitely make a trip down to Belfast now and then. Lots of really nice people and quiet rolling hills.

Send me an email or a PM, and don't disassemble your bike, because October in Maine is cycling's best kept secret. Oops.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:17 PM
the antiviper

I'm not a Mainer, but I play one for eight weeks every summer. My wife's a school nurse, and during the summer she and my daughter work at a camp between Augusta & Belfast. I spend plenty of time riding through those central Maine hills on summer weekends. I know a handful of routes, and nothing about the cycling community...

I won't be riding up there again until next June, but keep me in mind!
Old 09-07-2007, 06:48 PM
i like bikes!

Well I looked into it a bit more and called some local shops. Apparently the Maine Free Wheelers have all but disbanded.

Looks like my chance to reinstate, and organize a bicycle club!!!
I'll see about this a bit further of course, but I'm going to start thinking up KIT designs

Dan
Old 09-07-2007, 08:31 PM
Your Maine Man

Talk to Scott at Pat's Bike Shop in Brewer; he has been around as long as anyone. A regular group ride leaves at 6 on Mondays and a fast group on Wednesdays.

Do check out
http://www.exploremaine.org/bike/bike_tours.html
The rides listed are all good. Some have new asphalt and the traffic is not bad.

I hope to see you at the Cadillac Challenge http://web.mac.com/zorbathegeek/Cadillac/Home.html One hundred miles of the prettiest area in the US. (from a Mainer's perspective).

Ted
Old 09-07-2007, 08:33 PM
send me the twizzlers yo

we were in bangor last week.
what do folks do up there?
Old 09-07-2007, 08:38 PM
i like bikes!

Cadillac Challenge

That looks awesome!!!

That was going to be my moving day, but I might switch my going away party so that I can make it!!!!

As for what dolks do in maine. . .Nothing too exciting =)

I'm moving there to start a Children's Music and Media company with my brother. Books and Music. That sort of thing. Why Maine? He met a girl from Bangor and they moved back there together. He runs a recording studio there, and so it is the logical place to launch this venture.

Now I'm gonna see about this Cadillac Century... That looks Sweet!!!

Dan
Old 09-07-2007, 09:22 PM
i like bikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
I hope to see you at the Cadillac Challenge http://web.mac.com/zorbathegeek/Cadillac/Home.html One hundred miles of the prettiest area in the US. (from a Mainer's perspective).

Ted

Hey Ted...

I'll be there. I just changed the day of my going away party, and the day of my move to do it. . .

I dunno, it just seems like the way to start off my new life in Maine

Cheers,
Dan
Old 09-07-2007, 09:45 PM
imho this is mp bro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-RICHIE
we were in bangor last week.
what do folks do up there?

if its halloween, pumpkin.

jerk
Old 09-07-2007, 09:48 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsflantastic
I'm moving there to start a Children's Music and Media company with my brother. Books and Music. That sort of thing. Why Maine? He met a girl from Bangor and they moved back there together. He runs a recording studio there, and so it is the logical place to launch this venture.
Dan,

Good luck with the relocation and the new business. Maine's a bit of a weird place. My sister's lived there for the last ten years or so, and I've visited her a bunch of times. One's family could have moved there several generations ago, and in many places you would still be considered "from away." Lots of local poverty, and lots of out-of-state money (especially on the water). The decent weather riding season is not terribly long, but if you don't mind somewhat grungy weather you can get lots of riding in (depending on the roads, which in many areas are so-so).

Having said that negative stuff, the natural landscape and the variety is incredible, and if you're an outdoorsy type (hiking, kayak, boating, whatever) there is tons of neat stuff to do.

Enjoy your new life "Down East"

Louis
Old 09-07-2007, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpgardner
Hey, can't speak for the Maine Free Wheelers, but you should definitely make a trip down to Belfast now and then. Lots of really nice people and quiet rolling hills.

Send me an email or a PM, and don't disassemble your bike, because October in Maine is cycling's best kept secret. Oops.
Wow...Belfast . Never knew that anyone had heard of it. Going there next week for vacation and stay on Swan Lake (lot's of relatives there). It's pretty there but not as touristy as other nearby places. And also...not very far from the fried clam hotspot at Lincolnville Beach.

Last edited by rounder; 09-07-2007 at 10:15 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:09 PM
i like bikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis
Dan,

Maine's a bit of a weird place.

As my brother likes to say about Bangor,

It's So Far North, It's The South
Old 09-07-2007, 10:33 PM

Maine has some beautiful roads

My wife and I did a week long self supported (credit card) tour of Maine on our tandem last summer. We rode from Portland to Rockland to Bar Harbor to Rockland to Booth Bay Harbor and then back to Portland. We stayed at some great bnb's and small hotels along the way (Rockland in particular has some beautiful Victorian homes and surprisingly good restaurants). Maine's back roads were quiet and beautiful and more rolling than we expected (and reminded us a lot of biking in Ireland)

Two pictures are attached one of the tandem loaded as we leave Portland and one at the top of Cadillac Mountain (our only stay over day so we could explore Arcadia without panniers). More pictures for those interested at: http://www.publicartzt.shutterfly.com

You'll love the roads of Maine (at least in the summer).

Good luck to you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg maine1.jpg (39.4 KB, 114 views)
File Type: jpg maine2.jpg (24.8 KB, 114 views)
Old 09-07-2007, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsflantastic
As my brother likes to say about Bangor,

It's So Far North, It's The South

You will probably love it there. Bangor is on the Penobscot River which runs off from Mt. Katahdin (northend of the Appalachian Mountains) and runs into Penobscot Bay (one of the prettyest places in Maine). The people there are decent and appreciate what they have. Good luck.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:09 PM
i like bikes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rounder
You will probably love it there. Bangor is on the Penobscot River which runs off from Mt. Katahdin (northend of the Appalachian Mountains) and runs into Penobscot Bay (one of the prettyest places in Maine). The people there are decent and appreciate what they have. Good luck.

Yeah, I'm very excited actually. I've spent a lot of time up there recently. My brother has a little cottage on a spot right on the Penobscot. We go kayaking right out of his backyard. From the time I've spent there, I can definitely say that I do love the people up there quite a bit. Very genuine. I'm psyched to be a Mainer.

As exciting as riding my fixie around NYC can be, i'm looking forward to having rolling hills, greenery and scenery back in my cycling life (not to mention hiking, skiing, rock climbing, kayaking, snow shoeing, etc.).
-dan