Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-22-2007, 07:26 PM

Dog

Anyone else have that dog on one of their favorite loops---that dog that doesn't seem to react to anything, not trucks, not motorcycles, fire engines, nothing seems to disturb that dog, not a parade, not even a parade of letter carriers with a cats-only marching band will rouse him---until you, on your bike about 2 blocks away...
Old 08-22-2007, 07:54 PM

best interaction w/ a dog for me was many moons ago.
this dog used to piss me off... bark, chase, etc
i yelled, sprayed water- nada.

one day i took my zefal hpx and w/ a perfect swing the pump extended to full length and it popped him right in the nose.
he howled and howled and ran off behind the house.
from that day forward when i rode by the sob would go up on the owners porch and hide behind a chair.

a highpoint for me.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:13 PM

is there a leash law ..if so tell the owner if that doesn't work animal control
cheers
http://www.animallaw.info/articles/ovusdogleashlaws.htm
Old 08-22-2007, 08:21 PM
Veni Veloce Vomiti

Ammonia and water mixed 50/50 in a spare water bottle. Better than pepper spray (especially in a wind ). It's not permanently harmful, but a little up their nose or in the eyes and the completely forget about the bike.

Usually only takes ONE time.

Mike in AR
Old 08-22-2007, 08:23 PM

On one of my rides the road makes a very large radius bend. The road is slightly uphill and at my best I can maintain about 24 MPH. There is a dog that consistently watches me go by, then bolts into the woods taking the straight path from its house to a point in the road where it can emerge at my wheel. It seems that at any speed less than 20, it can calculate the correct closing speed and get to my wheel. It is amazing to watch as it bolts through brambles, over fallen trees while I alter speed up and down to try to create confusion for it. Rarely works as it is one smart dog. It is a game for us both, but I fear a painful end someday.
Old 08-22-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
On one of my rides the road makes a very large radius bend. The road is slightly uphill and at my best I can maintain about 24 MPH. There is a dog that consistently watches me go by, then bolts into the woods taking the straight path from its house to a point in the road where it can emerge at my wheel. It seems that at any speed less than 20, it can calculate the correct closing speed and get to my wheel. It is amazing to watch as it bolts through brambles, over fallen trees while I alter speed up and down to try to create confusion for it. Rarely works as it is one smart dog. It is a game for us both, but I fear a painful end someday.
this is a great post. awesome dog. I know what you mean about trying to fool them, but it's what they do, and they've usually got your number.

my dog died last sat. night, so I'm feeling sentimental about dogs. I don't think she ever chased a bike, though.

mw
Old 08-22-2007, 09:00 PM

i'm sad for you bro dogs are like family imho
Old 08-22-2007, 09:07 PM

thanks.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:14 PM
the antiviper

One of my regular rides in Maine includes about 5 miles of packed-dirt road. About 4 miles in, I pass a house with a German Shepard who, like clockwork, charges towards me as I approach, turns to run with me as I ride by, and gets throttled by his chain as I go down the road. Barking all the while.

The first few times I rode by his, uh, exuberance, took me by surprise. At this point, I'd be disappointed if he didn't make the same runs at me each time.

There's some other dogs along my regular ride routes, but they're not as predictable as this guy.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:33 PM
Kevan's Rose

Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard
The dog is smarter than you think. There are actually two dogs. The first one sees you and calls ahead to his cousin. Then the first dog takes a nap. The second dog sits waiting further up in the woods waiting for you to reach him, and then he bolts at the last instant. After that happens, he takes a nap. Later the dogs talk on the phone about how they fooled the silly guy dressed in the even sillier outfit with the even sillier shoes.

Next week, they told me that they have a real surprise for you- Chucky. Chucky Cheetah says that he wants to join the fun. How should I put it without alarming you?? 24 mph just ain't going to make it when Chucky Cheetah joins in the fun.

Simple Sandy
Old 08-22-2007, 09:47 PM
Kevan's Rose

I have never tried to outrun a dog. I always admonish the dog very sternly and then stop my bike (unless that will put other cyclists in harms way, in which case, I still admonish the dog as above. I have never had a problem doing that. Most dogs do not want to bite you. A lot of them are in it for the chase.

I just can't imagine taking any overtly offensive action towards any dog unless it was actually in the process of attacking me. Dogs are great readers of communication, both from other dogs and people.

I did one time drop a ten ton boulder on a particularly nasty looking dog that really scared me- He was a Kevanshire Terrier. The dog just shook off the boulder and kept on chasing me. The rest of it is a blur to me....

Shiloh Shepherd Sandy
Old 08-22-2007, 09:48 PM
Ride your bike

Best Dog Story...EVER! And it's all true.

Back in the old days, say 1974 or so, I was racing as a Jr. for the CYBC
team, before it was CYBC- Richard Sachs. I went to a weeklong training camp in Rocky Mount, NC to stay with Grant Mann and David Ware, two kick *** bike riders...David made the 1980 Olympic team, but USA never made the trip to Moscow.

There was a guy from Jacksonville, Bob, also training there, and one afternoon, we went out for a spin. We are on those back country roads, farmland mostly. I'm in the lead, FL guy on my wheel, going fast, when I hear the dog coming. Then, CRASH! Dog yelpping, FL guy, pissed, laying in the middle of the road, bleeding, bike all f-ed up.

The dog limps over to this shack looking dwelling as I help Bob get it together. Then this big ol' country boy appears, grabs the dog, and ties it to a tree..then turns around and goes into the shack.
Now we are really pissed. Not a word from the dogs owner, Bob's all road rash, front wheel twisted, 5 miles from Grant's house.

Then, the sound of a creeking screen door, and country boy is on the front porch with a shotgun in his hands!!! Oh ####!!! You know when every hair on the back of your neck stands up, real quick like?
He walks over to the dog, BANG, shoots the dog dead right in front of us! Country boy then walks over to the side of the road, looks at Bob, and says, "I told that damn dog to stay out of the road." Turns on his heal, and back into the shack.

All true. Ya gotta love NC country boys with shotguns. Effin dog.

Last edited by RIHans; 08-22-2007 at 09:51 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:56 PM

My dog story

Here's my favorite dog story:

Several years ago I was struggling up a steep grade in Bel Air which is a well-to-do neighborhood of L.A. A little yappy dog came tearing out of the front yard of a house and was jumping and nipping at my heels. Because of the steepness of the grade I couldn't outride the little sucker. I pulled out my frame pump and tried to bop him on the nose. Finally he ran back to the house where he came from. I looked up and there was an elderly man working in his garage in the house next door - he smiled at me and said "Did you give him a good hit ?" .
Old 08-22-2007, 10:00 PM
Kevan's Rose

RIHans

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIHans
Back in the old days, say 1974 or so, I was racing as a Jr. for the CYBC
team, before it was CYBC- Richard Sachs. I went to a weeklong training camp in Rocky Mount, NC to stay with Grant Mann and David Ware, two kick *** bike riders...David made the 1980 Olympic team, but USA never made the trip to Moscow.

There was a guy from Jacksonville, Bob, also training there, and one afternoon, we went out for a spin. We are on those back country roads, farmland mostly. I'm in the lead, FL guy on my wheel, going fast, when I hear the dog coming. Then, CRASH! Dog yelpping, FL guy, pissed, laying in the middle of the road, bleeding, bike all f-ed up.

The dog limps over to this shack looking dwelling as I help Bob get it together. Then this big ol' country boy appears, grabs the dog, and ties it to a tree..then turns around and goes into the shack.
Now we are really pissed. Not a word from the dogs owner, Bob's all road rash, front wheel twisted, 5 miles from Grant's house.

Then, the sound of a creeking screen door, and country boy is on the front porch with a shotgun in his hands!!! Oh ####!!! You know when every hair on the back of your neck stands up, real quick like?
He walks over to the dog, BANG, shoots the dog dead right in front of us! Country boy then walks over to the side of the road, looks at Bob, and says, "I told that damn dog to stay out of the road." Turns on his heal, and back into the shack.

All true. Ya gotta love NC country boys with shotguns. Effin dog.
Bad story! The dog should have shot the boy, as the boy was an irresponsible owner for not controlling the dog. A dog is dead because of the boy. Sorry, but I don't think the story is enjoyable or funny or anything like that. It is sad and pathetic to me.

Sandy
Old 08-22-2007, 10:14 PM

I had a real nasty dog on a regular route. It was on a decent hill, so out running it was out. The worst thing was the owners just sat on the porch and did nothing, actually it wasn't a porch, more of a make shift deck on a single wide trailer with "merry christmas" permanantly spray painted across it. One day I was chugging up the hill. I could see the dog crouched down beside the trailer watching me, ready to attack. The dog was to my left. Also to my left was a Chevy Blazer speeding down the hill. The dog and the Blazer driver were both watching me, not seeing each other. The dog lunged at me, and bam! The dog flew back into the yard, the blazer sped off one way, I road off the other way, and the owner finally got up off his porch.