Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2007, 09:47 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

My attempt today (perhaps misguided, certainly futile) to improve the cycling world.

Short version: I yelled at a guy for going through a red light in view of a bunch of cars.

Long version

Today I rode a bit with two guys (complete strangers to me). One of the guys (call him G, because he rode a Giant) went through a red, the other (much faster) guy (call him L because he rode a Lemond) held back as if he didn’t really want to but then he too went on through. I did not say anything. I waited for the light and caught up with them at the next red light. This was right in front of the entrance to 6-Flags and there were a bunch of cars. L and G sort of waited a bit, tried and failed to do track stands then G goes through, and L reluctantly followed. At that point I yelled “Hey don’t do that” and I’m certain they heard me.

This was near the base of a climb with a first very short hill, a flat, then a longer grind. I was delayed at the light but caught up with them near the top of the first section of the hill. G was clearly laboring (he was overweight) so L and I kept on going. At that point, since we were alone, I told him that his friend really shouldn’t go through red lights. I said if it only affected him, I didn't give a durn, but that it surely po’d drivers who would take that out on all cyclists, including me. L said, no, it probably only affects him. I said no way. So L said “What can you do about it?” “Follow the law” I suggested. Shortly after that the second part of the climb started and since he was much faster than I was he just took off. I never saw G again, and at the top of the hill saw L waiting for him. I said “See ya” or something like that, and he replied in a relatively friendly manner.

I supposed a more confrontational person might have talked to G directly, but I’m really not that type and figured it would be more productive if someone G knew spoke to him.

So, what do you do in this type of situation? Nothing? I was just p!ssed to have to see it twice.

Louis
Old 08-11-2007, 09:57 PM

I think you would be well-served to mind your own business unless you have a badge and are on duty.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Robb
I think you would be well-served to mind your own business unless you have a badge and are on duty.
... so trying to protect myself is not my business?

... and only police officers can enforce rules?
Old 08-11-2007, 10:11 PM

If we don't police ourselves ....

do we have the morality to request consideration from motorists.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:15 PM
JohnS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis
... so trying to protect myself is not my business?

... and only police officers can enforce rules?
+1 Part of the problem with today's world is that no one wants to get involved. Then they wonder why nothing ever gets improved. Everyone always leaves it up to "the other guy". Of course, my mother has asked me for years "John, why do you always have to say what other people only think?"
Old 08-11-2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS
+1 Part of the problem with today's world is that no one wants to get involved. Then they wonder why nothing ever gets improved. Everyone always leaves it up to "the other guy". Of course, my mother has asked me for years "John, why do you always have to say what other people only think?"
Bingo John .....
Old 08-11-2007, 10:28 PM
imp25rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahneida Ride
If we don't police ourselves ....

do we have the morality to request consideration from motorists.
I agree with this. It drives me nuts when cyclists pass a line of cars that are waiting for a light and then run the red light. Since I have started riding again the last few months I have noticed a lot more motorists yell at me to "get off the f*****g road". This rarely happened when I road 10 years ago, now it happens almost every ride. Yesterday it even happened while I was riding in a bicycle lane!! It is up to the people riding the bicycles to follow the rules.

Now that I have said that, I will admit to running red lights while on back roads when there are no cars around. My bicyle and I just aren't big enough to trip the sensor and I don't feel like waiting for 10 minutes.
Old 08-11-2007, 10:41 PM

bro you guys kill me ....red lights ..
cheers
Old 08-11-2007, 10:51 PM

L.a.

I live in a crazy city. Confronting strangers can be hazardous to my health. :argue:
Old 08-12-2007, 07:07 AM
JohnS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud_E
I live in a crazy city. Confronting strangers can be hazardous to my health. :argue:
I live in Detroit-BFD. That's the biggest copout around. We're not asking you to confront a carload of gang members, just a fellow cyclist. It's hard to conceal an AK when you're wearing bike kit...
Old 08-12-2007, 07:35 AM

When the cyclists learn to behave themselves then go to work on fixing those darn motorists. OK?

Old 08-12-2007, 08:10 AM
Picshooter

I learned my lesson when I posted to a LBS forum. There is a fit, strong, attractive young lady on a Colnago who rides many of the roads I ride as well as drive on. She consistently runs lights at busy intersections.
I witnessed the angry responses from motorists more than once. So I posted that if anyone knew her to please ask her to stop as she was giving us all a bad name.
The responses defended her.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:30 AM

Quote:
I yelled at a guy for going through a red light in view of a bunch of cars.
I would've done the same thing, and then, as you did, explain why. Frequently folks are defensive right away, and then later it sinks in a bit, and might actually consider changing their behavior. Obviously that may not be the case, but who knows?

Good for you!
Old 08-12-2007, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnS
I live in Detroit-BFD. That's the biggest copout around. We're not asking you to confront a carload of gang members, just a fellow cyclist. It's hard to conceal an AK when you're wearing bike kit...
Hey I was only ( half ) joking. There are all kinds of ways to change the world a little at a time and I try my best. Lecturing an adult cyclist who runs a red light is pretty far down on the list for me -- that's all.

Anyhow, time to go for a ride now.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:59 AM
Serotta Biased and HSG Luster

Ride and wine time......