Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-10-2007, 06:57 AM

Goodbye Discovery/US Postal?

According to Cyclingnews Johan will announce today that he has been unable to find a sponsor to replace Discovery and that the team will disband at the end of the year. Wow. Based on all that is/has gone on over the last few months I am not surprised, but I am, too (if that makes any sense). When was the last time that a team with 2 of 3 podium finishers in the TdF couldn't find the money to continue operations? Ever?
My emotions are mixed on this one. I, like many of those frequenting this forum came back to cycling after a long break during the glory years of US Postal (early 2000s) and thoroughly enjoyed watching them dominate the TdF during this period. As I've matured as a cyclist and become more saavy (critical?) in the ways of the pro peloton, my admiration for JB/LA & Co, has waned, bottoming out last fall with the hiring of Ivan Basso. I truly believe that the fix to the current doping situation in cycling will have to come from the sponsors (kudos to Rabbobank for forcing the team to fire Raz while wearing the malliot jaune). Maybe Johan's inability to find a sponsor will get the word out to team mgt that winning at "all costs" is no longer a guarantee for success in keeping your team funded. We'll see. All that being said, I think cycling will be poorer as a sport without a "US" based team in the mix. Go Slipstream, I guess.

Shawn G
Old 08-10-2007, 07:56 AM
You still here?

It's official!

From CyclingNews:

"Discovery disbands
Tailwind Sports has announced the end of the Discovery Channel Pro Cycling Team today, confirming rumours that cropped up when the team failed to announce a new sponsor after the team won the Tour de France. The team was given notice that the Discovery Channel would not renew its sponsorship back in February, leading to a long and intensive search for a replacement sponsor."

Rest of article here" http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?...g07/aug10news3
Old 08-10-2007, 08:00 AM

bro we should have know when G.H. was shopping for a team imho cheers
Old 08-10-2007, 08:04 AM
UN-Registered® User!

Gosh...

What a relief!

Hopefully I won't have to hear about Lance, etc. for some time!

Now let's move on and watch how many of those "clean" riders get busted...

A!
Old 08-10-2007, 08:07 AM

Provided this isn't a last attempt at getting a potential sponsor's interest - this is bad news for money flowing into pro cycling if the most successful team program cannot secure sponsorship. Add to it that Credit Agricole is done as well. Mapei pulled out a few years back...

A lot of money leaving the sport - I'm sure the money will return, does anyone want to speculate as to when?

I would guess Bruyneel may take a year off, hes had a very successful gig over the last few years.

I'll still watch the sport.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avispa
What a relief!

Hopefully I won't have to hear about Lance, etc. for some time!

Now let's move on and watch how many of those "clean" riders get busted...

A!
yeah bro i think the dope police are goin to come down hard ..time to get out now while the gettings good imho .... but they were the best at what they did imho
cheers
Old 08-10-2007, 08:16 AM
UN-Registered® User!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik.Lazdins
Provided this isn't a last attempt at getting a potential sponsor's interest - this is bad news for money flowing into pro cycling if the most successful team program cannot secure sponsorship. Add to it that Credit Agricole is done as well. Mapei pulled out a few years back...
Well, Mapei is still quite involved in Cycling at all levels, especially in Europe. As far as the "most successful team program..." I don't know if I could agree with that...

This is the problem with many companies here in the USA, if they are not involved at the top with the big money, they simply pull out. Just watch how the Tour of California faces the same fate of that famous Coors Classic or the Tour DuPont.

A!
Old 08-10-2007, 08:25 AM

Cool I never have

...been a fan of the Postal/Disco team. I always felt pride towards them ,but I do not feel as bad about them leaving as I did when 7-11/Motorola did. I am very excited about Slipstream with American management again...a strong roster and a very strong stance on doping.

Coincidence that Chipotle started going hormone free and antibiotic free when they started sponsoring cycling?
Old 08-10-2007, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avispa
Well, Mapei is still quite involved in Cycling at all levels, especially in Europe. As far as the "most successful team program..." I don't know if I could agree with that...

This is the problem with many companies here in the USA, if they are not involved at the top with the big money, they simply pull out. Just watch how the Tour of California faces the same fate of that famous Coors Classic or the Tour DuPont.

A!
I thought about writing "Arguably the most successful"

Mapei still has a presence under my kitchen tile My post was in reference to their "super team"

Good point about the Tour of California,Georgia etc... Its tough to build a race year over year without steady sponsorship
Old 08-10-2007, 08:29 AM
Windrider

How soon...........

before the first ex Disco rider gets caught cheating? History is a great predictor of future behavior.

Len

"One of the largest obstacles to seeing truth......is wanting something too much."
Old 08-10-2007, 08:35 AM
Adam/SerottaFan

With no American team in the TdF, say goodbye to TdF coverage on Vs.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:42 AM
Serotta and Boeing User

In the Public Eye

This, in my honest opinion, will start a decline in popularity of the sport here in the US. I talk to so many people that are ignorant of the doping but still know of the Discovery Team and its affiliation with TdF, Lance, etc. So what now when the most prolific team in the american populace's eye ceases? Who will they look for in any coverage that pops up on TV or the USA Today? I even fly with so many that go to watch the race just because it is going on during their brief stay in EU, and some even think LA still races But the one marketing tool they know is the Discovery Team, the US team.

I predict Trek sales to decline, but the size of the company...could they actually sponsor it themselves?

As for drugs in cycling...no different than weapons in my other trade, as soldier...for every new weapon that is created a countermeasure is developed then a new weapon appears that outperforms the countermeasure. So will go cycling...never fully clean...as for most of the worlds populace...eveyone has their vices and vanity.

Funny how the riders themselves are destoying thier very existance they thrive on. Much like the book I am reading now. The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire, by Gibbons, circa 1790s.

Mark
Still watching and thrilled by the sport.
Old 08-10-2007, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93legendti
With no American team in the TdF, say goodbye to TdF coverage on Vs.
Slipstream will get a wildcard. Yo.

-g
Old 08-10-2007, 08:52 AM
Adam/SerottaFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McLean
Slipstream will get a wildcard. Yo.

-g
They might have to first win something in Europe.
Old 08-10-2007, 09:00 AM

Well.....Discovery leaves as the best team in the TDF. They really kicked *** this year!
Perhaps the French will have a fighting chance for the next few years.
They are tired of American team domination anyway.

In my opinion.....at least in the U.S. ....... little support wil be generated
for interest in European events, and it may hurt things here in the U.S. So, everyone loses, and even bike sales will likely fall in our shops.
I have become tired of all the doping scandals and accusations. The excitement and draw of the best of the best has (for now) cast a dark
and gloomy shadow on the sport.....like all pro sports for that matter.