Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-09-2007, 02:13 PM

Bianchi Carbon

Anyone have any ride experience with any of the Bianchi Carbon bikes? Say the 928 Sl versus the coast to coast model? is there a bg differance in the 05's versus 06 or 07 technology?
Are they both made by Reparto Corse?

Last edited by beungood; 08-09-2007 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:36 PM
swoop

reparto corsa is now a type of branding rather than the part of the shop in italy where actual dudes that make frames might actually make your frame.

the phrase 'run for your life' comes to mind. its just another bunch of carbon bikes made in you know where ... branded as bianchi. i think they over use the molds and end up shipping bikes with crap alignment.... but i think at many a price point that's what you get.
i'd rather walk... no thanks.

atmo.
personal opinon.. take it for what it is... a naked guy at the computer post ride talking about bikes.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:46 PM
commuter racer

atmo.
personal opinon.. take it for what it is... a naked guy at the computer post ride talking about bikes.[/QUOTE]

"good times"
Old 08-09-2007, 06:24 PM

Geo of Bianchi is good.

A buddy of mine sells them and has for years. He is an experienced rider and likes them. FWIW. He rides the 'lugged' ones, not the quasi monocoque ones.
Old 08-09-2007, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinomaster
atmo.
personal opinon.. take it for what it is... a naked guy at the computer post ride talking about bikes.
"good times" [/QUOTE]

Jeez I thought I was the only one who did that.....
Old 08-09-2007, 09:07 PM

Are the lugged ones the more traditional ones and the oother the ones that vaguely look like Specialized Tarmacs
Old 08-09-2007, 10:18 PM

928SL has Bianchi's Hors Category or "race" geometry. Coast-to-Coast has a more "enthusiast" geometry, longer head tube, longer wheelbase etc. So, you can choose what suits you best. The Coast-to-Coast has curved top and down tube so I suppose it does sorta look like a Tarmac.

I ride an XL Carbon which is the previous version of the monocoque 928. I like it but it's definitely a race bike. It feels rough and twitchy at 25km/h, pretty good at 35km/h and really smooth and stable at 45km/h. It's stiff enough for my 65kg but a 85kg track sprinting buddy cracked his at the BB.

The lugged frames have a better rep for durability and to my eye at least, look a bit nicer.

and +1 on what swoop said about the location of reparto corse.
Old 08-09-2007, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swoop
reparto corsa is now a type of branding rather than the part of the shop in italy where actual dudes that make frames might actually make your frame.

the phrase 'run for your life' comes to mind. its just another bunch of carbon bikes made in you know where ... branded as bianchi. i think they over use the molds and end up shipping bikes with crap alignment.... but i think at many a price point that's what you get.
i'd rather walk... no thanks.

atmo.
FWIW, my wife ad I were at the Bianchi factory earlier this year and when I asked where the 928 was made I was told that the tubing comes from the far east and then they are assembled in Italy...again, take it fwiw...

Swoop, do you at least have Skivvies on???

Just askin'

Steve
Old 08-10-2007, 02:49 AM

I ride a lot with a pretty experienced rider who grew up racing etc.

He loves his 2005 (maybe 04? Anniversary model, anyway) Bianchi lugged carbon bike. He's done serious climbing on it, 250km rides and short sharp outings and hasn't a bad word to say about it. I've done a few km on it too and it did ride beautifully to my ignorant tastes. Instant forward power with very stable handling (good when you're unco like me).

Not only that, he's crashed it and has driven it into an overhead sign on his roofrack, and it's still going strong. It feels pretty tough compared to e.g. a Scott Addict.

So all in all, the lugged ones can't be that bad. I always understood Bianchi to have a good reputation as people who know how to design a frame with good riding manners? I used to ride an Alu-Carbon 1885 and loved it, would buy another in a flash if I needed a costeffective racer.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:03 AM
Administrator

Swoop, I hear it's not only computers....

Beungood, You're Zank material and you know it. Though a Pacenti would fit your groove as well. You know what's right.....NOW, GRAB THAT OLYMPIC BAR AND GIVE ME FOUR PASSES OF HEIDENS!!! (far east carbon...what's a matter for you!!!)

William

Last edited by William; 08-10-2007 at 05:06 AM.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:46 AM

I sell them which makes me biased

But we have had really good feedback from the customers. The C to C models are interesting and are the "in" design. I admit I have not ridden one. I like the lugged carbon models. We have not had a 928SL in the shop. The 928 feels a little better than the Jamis Xenith which we also sell, I guess stiffer is the catch word. I rode the Madone some time back and prefer the Bianchi ride. But I don't feel I am a good test case since I have never owned a carbon bike. My ordiginal road bike was a steel Bianchi Alloro, moved to a Colnago Master X Lite and now the Legend ST. None of the bikes I have ridden compare favorably with the Legend, so that is more bias.

Delbert McClinton
Old 08-10-2007, 09:49 AM

i had a 928 from 2005

great bike, very nimble. i think a great value for the money. made in italy (i know they don't spin their own carbon--but i think only TIME does--everyone else buys carbon from somewhere). i think, when you look at how carbon frames are made, what you want is a precise computer controlled machine that puts the right amount in, gets the air out, etc.
If you envison it as a big plastic model, then you want either a solid computer controlled jig, or a guy who is very careful gluing up the tubes by hand.
having seen lots of welders and machine shops, i'd say it is the same deal for carbon--you want someone who is paying attention to the details when aligning/bonding everything. machines should cut down on errors--precise amount of epoxy, etc.

I've owned 3 reparto corse bikes over the years--steel, ti, carbon all were made in italy and all were top notch.

good luck
jim