Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-27-2007, 09:04 AM
Vendor

Tubulars rule, but a question for you carbon fiber wheel guys

I am going build up some new tubular wheels for next year. I am on the fence between a carbon rim or an aluminum rim. I know that Swiss Stop pads seem to get the best marks for brake feel on carbon rims. The question I have is can I go back and forth between the carbon rims and back-up aluminum rims without having to change the pads? I have heard all kinds of warnings such as aluminum getting impregnated into the pads and then wrecking the carbon rim. This seems a little far fetched to me, but I wanted to get some feedback from those that have experience with it. Converting my entire wheel stable to carbon is not an option

So, am I just being super paranoid? Any legit concerns?
Old 07-27-2007, 09:31 AM
UK visitor

When I had carbon rims I never risked using pads from alloy rims because so many people said don't do it! Maybe you should ask the rim manufacturer?

Or you could ask at weightweenies. Lots of people there have carbon rims. Or ask Cees from Ada, who posts here.

By the way, Carbonsports have their own brand of pads, which are made by Swissstop. Some say they are the best. They should be, they are the most expensive. In my experience they're great, but I can't compare them with others except the Corima cork ones, which are useless.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:42 AM

I've spoken to Steve Marett, the swiss stop distributor, about switching
between rims. He showed me his set, which have been used for both.
Steve said many people do switch, but it's not really necessary, especially if
you clean the pads once an a while.

Give him a call if you want more info:

Helvetia Sports
Steve Marrett

-g
Old 07-27-2007, 09:43 AM
Ape and Essence

I regularly swap Zipp404 paves for alum. commuter wheels and use the same cool stop (green) pads. the green pads do not stop as well as normal pads and can't wait til they are worn out.

Also run the Nimble Fly carbon wheelset. I never swap pads and yes I do a quick check for embedded garbage in the pads. A quick flick with a sharp pocket knife is all that's needed. I'm SURE that I've ignored maintenence for months at a time and my Zipps are just fine. Carbon is way way tough stuff. Eveyone likes to sell brake pads...it will make you nuts. The best pads I've ever used on carbon rims are plain old DA or Campy.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:48 AM
UK visitor

Too Tall, how were those pads in the wet? I've heard that any pad is OK with carbon in the dry, but in the wet you don't stop very fast unless you use the special stupidly expensive ones. Is this a myth?
Old 07-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Peter Pan Oath adherent

Zanc;

I have some lightly used Swissstop yellow pads (on alu rims - one set about 100 miles, the other about 250) that came with my ZeroG's that you can HAVE (or will trade for Zancwear if you don't want the gift) if you want them.

BK

Age is a case of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:03 AM

Swiss Stop will work well for you.

In the wet, al rims will stop better with factory pads.

Another good set of pads for carbon rims are Bontrager cork pads, at least when used with Bontrager carbon rims. However, I would not use these pads with al rims.

Last edited by zap; 07-27-2007 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:28 AM
Ape and Essence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick H.
Too Tall, how were those pads in the wet? I've heard that any pad is OK with carbon in the dry, but in the wet you don't stop very fast unless you use the special stupidly expensive ones. Is this a myth?
Nick, the green pads are marginally better in the wet nothing to shout about.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:34 AM
needs adult supervision

Quote:
Originally Posted by zap
Another good set of pads for carbon rims are Bontrager cork pads, at least when used with Bontrager carbon rims. However, I would not swap these pads with al rims.
my experience was different, but there was a variable: bonty cork pads with ZG brakes on bonty carbon rims were noticeable worse, both dry and wet, vs regular DA pads with DA brakes on the same wheels.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:57 AM
aka Terry Keele

i have an extra set of brake blocks with pads that I switch out. considering CF wheels are event only wheels it's not that much of a hassle and only takes minutes. i wouldn't chance using the same pads.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:08 AM
Ride 'yer bike.

I'm not fast enough to have carbon wheels. Even on my aluminum rims I try to use the brakes as little as possible - it's making me faster! Honestly, I see lots of carbon wheels out there, I see lots of potholes. If you're not racing, is it worth the risk?
Old 07-27-2007, 12:23 PM
Ape and Essence

No it is not worth the risk however the world could end tommorrow so I'm riding "the good stuff" today PS - BS, TiDesigns total BS...my spies tell me you are a freakin' assasin on a bike...not fast enough...as if
Old 07-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall
No it is not worth the risk however the world could end tommorrow so I'm riding "the good stuff" today PS - BS, TiDesigns total BS...my spies tell me you are a freakin' assasin on a bike...not fast enough...as if

I'm assuming the world isn't gonna end and I'll have to pay the mortgage next month. Besides, my old 36 spoke training wheels come with a long list of excuses - may come in handy some day soon!
Old 07-27-2007, 03:49 PM
Ape and Essence

We need Paul and Phil color commentary to go with that comeback TiDesigns
Old 07-27-2007, 04:16 PM
Ride 'yer bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Too Tall
We need Paul and Phil color commentary to go with that comeback TiDesigns

OK, maybe it's not so much that I'll need the excuses, but having fast wheels means you don't have 'em when you need 'em.

Want color commentary? (feel free to translate this into Phil for those who speak it):

A group of us was heading up to the Acton town line - most of us know exactly where the town lines are. There's a left turn, a short steep section of hill and then a gental rise for about 100 meters to the line. I'm on a 27 pound fixed gear (they don't call it a SteamRoller for nothing!) with cross tires on, sitting in expecting to get launched out the back in the charge for the line. Then I see an early attack going up the outside, so I grab the wheel and I get pulled clear. With the gear I was turning I knew I had to put in the attack on the steep section, otherwise nobody would noticed that I attacked. I got around him and held off rest of the group to the line. As we rolled up to the next stop sign the guy who went early - with a set of Zipp CSC wheels on his bike said "well, these aren't my race wheels". One of my riders said "dude, you just got beat by an old guy on a steel pig with tractor tires".