Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 10-02-2023, 12:21 PM

OT: Birkenstocks and Alternatives

I've always loved my birks and basically live in them - standard Arizonas with the soft footbed when I'm feeling fancy - but they just do not last for me, and when I say, do not last, I mean it: the last pair only survived a month and a half. By comparison, my wife is getting 2+ years out of hers, and it's not necessarily the soles which are getting annihilated, but the footbeds. There's something about my body chemistry and how I tend to sweat through my feet that just causes those leather footbeds to become an unholy slip-n-slide that turns my feet brown. Normally, this would be pretty funny, but when they get slippy, it causes issues with actually walking properly, blisters, etc.

Has anyone out there encountered anything like this? Did you try a different brand or model with any success? Am I destined to live that camo croc life?
Old 10-02-2023, 12:28 PM

Maybe try the "water friendly" version.

https://www.birkenstock.com/ca/arizo...va-u_3720.html

My wife has a pair and they have lasted here well.
Old 10-02-2023, 12:29 PM

Finn Comfort! But $$$$$ get a pair on eBay.

Naots are nice also
Old 10-02-2023, 12:29 PM

Chacos Cloud Sandals. Great for hiking (original intent), the beach, futzing around the house. Great support for my collapsed arches.

https://www.chacos.com/US/en/mega-z-...ection&start=1
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IMG_7152.jpeg (54.3 KB, 580 views)
Old 10-02-2023, 12:32 PM

Chacos? The original versions fit and walk similar to a Birkenstock with zero drop and minimal squish but the footbed won’t deteriorate.

My Birkenstocks got dark and slimy but that was after many miles and greater than a year…sweat plus getting wet a few times did it.
Old 10-02-2023, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Have you tried the non soft footbeds? They are much more durable than the soft footbeds. I wear birks all the time and even had a few pairs re-soled, never had any issues like that.

My other thought is perhaps some type of treatment to new footbeds that would prevent your sweat from soaking into them?
Old 10-02-2023, 12:50 PM

Yeah, I think the soft footbeds are not good. My partner bought some and they got gnarly in a hurry. We both now use the standard ones and they hold up for at least a year of pretty heavy use. I walk a mile in them every day on my lunch break (with the dog) to the park and back and they are fine.
Old 10-02-2023, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
My Birkenstocks got dark and slimy but that was after many miles and greater than a year…sweat plus getting wet a few times did it.
This HAS to be part of it. One of our Goldens loves getting as dirty as possible, which usually translates into me walking her through wet grass, sand, dirt, mud - you name it. I've noticed that the second those soft footbeds get wet - even from walking on grass - it's the beginning of the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
Have you tried the non soft footbeds? They are much more durable than the soft footbeds. I wear birks all the time and even had a few pairs re-soled, never had any issues like that.
I'll try the Gizeh model this time around and be sure to avoid the soft footbed. It could be that softness and moisture.

I'm also placing unrealistic demands on these sandals - like, I walked 16 miles in Portland on Friday, then another 10 on Saturday.
Old 10-02-2023, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post
This HAS to be part of it. One of our Goldens loves getting as dirty as possible, which usually translates into me walking her through wet grass, sand, dirt, mud - you name it. I've noticed that the second those soft footbeds get wet - even from walking on grass - it's the beginning of the end.

I'll try the Gizeh model this time around and be sure to avoid the soft footbed. It could be that softness and moisture.

I'm also placing unrealistic demands on these sandals - like, I walked 16 miles in Portland on Friday, then another 10 on Saturday.

Curious what the occasion for that was. I’m a big believer that the best ticket to fitness and health is walking (and being upright) a lot.
Old 10-02-2023, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooj View Post

Definitely not high mileage soles.

I had the Milano model when I first moved to NYC many moons ago and walked most of manhattan in them. The concrete destroyed the heel in no time but adding a plastic bit to the sole stretched them until the aforementioned slick and black footbed.
Old 10-02-2023, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
[/B]

Curious what the occasion for that was. I’m a big believer that the best ticket to fitness and health is walking (and being upright) a lot.
I like walking - always have. Sadly, 20 years of working in tech and doing stupid things with weight lifting took its toll on my spine, and walking is one of the things that helps best. Trouble is that once I get going, I go
Old 10-02-2023, 01:13 PM
extremely tall

This might not be it, but are you sure they’re genuine? Lots of counterfeits out there, even available through “safe” channels (looking at you, Amazon)

I’ve had both the comfort sole & regular and neither has worn out like that despite hard use.

Just a thought.
Old 10-02-2023, 01:35 PM

Anyone else try these, the EVA version? I've been curious about them. I do wonder about the sole, which on regular Birks is not good on anything wet, so do these have the same sole material or do they have better grip? Also, how do they hold up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdonk View Post
Maybe try the "water friendly" version.

https://www.birkenstock.com/ca/arizo...va-u_3720.html

My wife has a pair and they have lasted here well.
Old 10-02-2023, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by echelon_john View Post
This might not be it, but are you sure they’re genuine? Lots of counterfeits out there, even available through “safe” channels (looking at you, Amazon)

I’ve had both the comfort sole & regular and neither has worn out like that despite hard use.

Just a thought.
Pretty sure they're genuine. Ordered though Zappos. I'll pop up to the Birkenstock store in Marin when I go pickup the dogs this afternoon
Old 10-02-2023, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddybikes View Post
Finn Comfort! But $$$$$ get a pair on eBay.

Naots are nice also
They have an elevated heel which if you are a berk wearer feels really weird