Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-14-2004, 03:50 PM

Highlander tour questions

Have any of you done the Highlander Tour in the Finger Lakes region of upstate New York? How insanely hard is it?

The information they provide suggests that a 39/27 gearing is a minimum requirement. I have two questions about this. Would a 39/25 be even more minimally possible (since that's what I have, and I'm a reasonably good climber, though I've never done anything as extreme as the Highlander, just lots of longish rides with lots of longish and some steepish climbs)? That is, is it worth changing my 25-12 cassette for a 27-12? Secondly, should I order this now, since I have the 9-speed Dura-ace? According to e-bay sellers, all da 9-speed cassettes are already rare items. Can this possibly be true? Surely Shimano will have to continue selling DA 9-speed components for a few more years at least! Or am I naive?

Thanks!

Onno (who rode his mountain bike on actual dirt roads this weekend, and now loves his Concours, and the lovely paved roads he rides them on, more than ever).
Old 06-14-2004, 04:18 PM
Helianthus annuus

Onnopal,
I know how you ride and your gearing is just fine for the Highlander. As you know, our house is actually only two minutes from one the Highlander climbs and is right next to the route. I have ridden the Highlander many times though I am not much for making it an event (events have rules and such).

It's a long day and there are a few long, hard climbs (and some short steep ones) but I can manage in a 39-25 well-enough though I wouldn't if I had a choice. I'm all for spinning rather than grinding. Still, it's quite grindable.

dbrk
Old 06-15-2004, 07:21 AM

dbrk

Thanks for the information, and your vote of confidence. As it happens, I have a class field trip scheduled already for the day of the official Highlander, but I hope to head over your way and ride the route on my own, free of rules and support.

I hope also to make it your way for the 2nd TdFL!

Onno