Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-28-2023, 02:02 PM

concerning echocardiogram results FINAL UPDATE 3/12/2024

Well, my recent echocardiogram came up with some concerning results. I got some helpful insights from folks here when approaching my TKA in 2020, so searched here and found several threads including posts from @bocaarider, @classtimesailer, and @cyclisticliff with great contributions from medical professionals such as @gasman and @slinkywizard. I'm smart enough to know not to ask for diagnostics from the interwebs, but I am interested in any counsel people have about how to think about what I may be facing.

I won't go into all the details, but several months shy of 69. Issues include aortic root and ascending aorta echo measurements which seem to approach or be at the dimensions leading to surgical actions per the Nov 2022 updated ACC/AHA guidelines, aortic valve issues and atrial enlargements (both L&R). My personal physician referred me to a cardiology group; I'm scheduled for a consult late Feb (their first opening since my MD said he didn't feel it was super urgent given his assessment of my high function). I will admit to being overwhelmed by the significance of what I'm seeing online, and having a great deal of trepidation about permanent lifestyle changes for someone who enjoys picking up and putting down heavy things and likes the discipline of structured intervals/intensity.

My big question is how to think about qualifying the professionals with whom I will be consulting -- and who I would choose for whatever potential procedures may be in my future. Already thinking after local consult here in WI I may look to Mayo and Cleveland Clinics as well. Also wondering about waiting 5 weeks for a first consult...

I'm probably thinking too far ahead, but thinking an e-bike may be one part of my future -- wish there was an equivalent in the nordic skiing world.

Any experiences or insights appreciated!

Last edited by teleguy57; 03-12-2024 at 11:34 AM.