Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 07-09-2022, 11:34 AM

Does SILCA not offer refunds?

While I have bought a few things from SILCA (silca.cc) in the past, never paid any attention to their return policy. Now, I want to buy something and since I was uncertain if it will fit me, I looked at their return policy. Unless I am intrpreting it incorrectly, SILCA is syaing that even if the item I bought is brand new and unsued, thye will NOT offer a refund but rather a store credit.

Can anyone verify if SILCA does offer refund on brand new, still in box items?

Below is a screenshot of their return policy. The red highlight is my own.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg silca.jpg (64.0 KB, 739 views)
Old 07-09-2022, 11:41 AM

That's what it's looking like.
Old 07-09-2022, 11:51 AM

Looks like that's their policy.
Probably why for a lot of their goods, they sell thru an Amazon storefront, with free returns. Clothing though doesn't seem to appear there.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/SILCA/...7?ref_=ast_bln
Old 07-09-2022, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
Probably why for a lot of their goods, they sell thru an Amazon storefront, with free returns.
I don't get that logic.

Why not offer the same return policy and not lose the margin to Amazon?
Old 07-09-2022, 11:59 AM

If it is true, it is a bit hard to believe that they would not provide refunds on brand new, unused items. Cannot think of any other cycling accessories manufacturer who has this unreasonable policy. I mean, take a 10% restocking fee if you have to.
Old 07-09-2022, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rice rocket View Post
I don't get that logic.

Because they don't want to set up additional warehouse and fulfillment center capability and additional resources for processing credits etc?

Basically they're outsourcing the warehousing and shipping; probably because lower effort and cost than if they tried to do it themselves. Some products are even cheaper thru Amazon than Silca (eg. Tattico minipump).
Old 07-09-2022, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I don't get that logic.

Economics 101 (or maybe Business Economics 201). Silca must feel that by selling through Amazon they will increase their total sales volume, and that the Marginal Revenue of Amazon sales exceeds the additional Marginal Cost from Amazon's return policy, thus generating an adequate Marginal Profit.

For a surprising number of people, Amazon has become their go-to gateway for online sales, and don't even bother checking to see if products are available cheaper from elsewhere. Its gotten so that many retailers have essentially been forced to sell through Amazon or else their sales volumes won't be adequate to cover their costs.
Old 07-09-2022, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoosterCogset View Post
Because they don't want to set up additional warehouse and fulfillment center capability and additional resources for processing credits etc?

Basically they're outsourcing the warehousing and shipping; probably because lower effort and cost than if they tried to do it themselves. Some products are even cheaper thru Amazon than Silca (eg. Tattico minipump).
The policy is not no returns, it's store credit only on returns, and store credit is standing up a whole e-gift card system, which is magnitudes more infrastructure than to process than a refund, not really sure I buy your argument there.
Old 07-09-2022, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark McM View Post
Economics 101 (or maybe Business Economics 201). Silca must feel that by selling through Amazon they will increase their total sales volume, and that the Marginal Revenue of Amazon sales exceeds the additional Marginal Cost from Amazon's return policy, thus generating an adequate Marginal Profit.

For a surprising number of people, Amazon has become their go-to gateway for online sales, and don't even bother checking to see if products are available cheaper from elsewhere. Its gotten so that many retailers have essentially been forced to sell through Amazon or else their sales volumes won't be adequate to cover their costs.
They have already decided to have their own storefront setup, the fact that it exists would signal (to me) that the 20-30% they're giving up to Amazon is more than the overhead to hold and ship that part, but maybe I'm wrong.

If what you claim is true, then they should just post a link to their Amazon store and shut down their own store and let them handle it all...
Old 07-09-2022, 01:10 PM

Quote:
They have already decided to have their own storefront setup, the fact that it exists would signal (to me) that the 20-30% they're giving up to Amazon is more than the overhead to hold and ship that part, but maybe I'm wrong.

If what you claim is true, then they should just post a link to their Amazon store and shut down their own store and let them handle it all...
I don't know about 20-30%. It's evidently pretty transparent how the cost structure works:
https://sell.amazon.com/pricing
Old 07-09-2022, 02:00 PM

So basically, if you buy an Allen wrench and seat bag from Silca for $340.00 and don't like them; they'll give you a $340.00 gift card to use toward a chain breaker and cycling wallet that costs $540.00

Got it
Old 07-09-2022, 02:46 PM

Wake up people

No need to buy any of their overpriced bs.
Been the same story since they “took over” the once proud Italian brand.
You can find better products cheaper all day long.
Old 07-09-2022, 04:16 PM

You can hate Amazon for many reasons, but I have learned that when it comes to refunding my money on items that aren't right for any reason, they can't be beat.
Old 07-09-2022, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
You can hate Amazon for many reasons, but I have learned that when it comes to refunding my money on items that aren't right for any reason, they can't be beat.

This. Though Costco is no slouch in this either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-09-2022, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
My policy is don’t buy from Amazon (Bezos) at all so no need for a refund.

Don’t buy direct from Silca so you possibly get a better refund return policy from your alternative retailer?