Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 04-17-2007, 07:16 PM
'97 Ti Legend

Thoughts going out to Sheldon Brown

I only met him once in the Harris Cyclery shop several years ago, but my mother had primary-progressive MS for nearly 25 years before she passed 2 years ago from its side effects. Sheldon's seems to be about the most cited web page in all of cycling, and I feel like we owe him a great debt for all of his hard work. I recently came accross his own personal health website which details his own struggle with what may be the same type of MS, and the incredible hardship of having to give up his bikes. I felt a bit strange calling attention to his site, but he created the page and voluteered an address to link to, so here it is.

In this national moment of tragedy, I was struck by this story of a local cycling hero. My thoughts are with him and his family.

http://sheldonbrown.org/journal/health.html
Old 04-17-2007, 07:33 PM

sheldon is a good man. i hope the best for him and his family.
he is a true "bike guy" in the best sense.
Old 04-17-2007, 07:54 PM

Thanks for the website. Not too long ago I was wondering how he was doing, but for the life of me I couldn't find his journal on sheldonbrown.com

I see it's been almost 2 months since his last posting in the blog ... I sure hope his condition has improved
Old 04-17-2007, 08:39 PM

He's still posting away on bikeforums.net in the Bicycle Mech section.
Old 04-17-2007, 08:53 PM

i never met sheldon but hope he reads this. i came across some of his writings during the past two years and thought they were useful and informative (loved the 4/1/07 helpful hints posting about the best way to clean your chain and other good stuff). the guy is obviously dedicated to bikes and enlightening others. good luck man.
Old 04-17-2007, 09:33 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

Just read the journal. Boy, that's tough. Not knowing must be a psychological drain. I hope that they can at least give him a diagnosis soon...

Louis
Old 04-17-2007, 10:32 PM

I wish him all the best

I've really enjoyed reading Sheldon's writing over the years and have learned a lot from him. It just about breaks my heart to read the part near the end where he talks about how lucky he is - hats off to him for being able to see the bright side when it would be so easy to wallow in self pity.

I sincerely hope they can find out what's going on and that whatever it is will respond to treatment. He's a good egg and deserves it!
Old 04-17-2007, 10:52 PM
ergottWheels

A legend in his talent, wit, and for all the wisdom he shares with us. I thinking about you man. I'm not one to parrot someone else's trademark, but he "gets it" in a big way.