Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2021, 09:12 AM

Praise for Woom

I know kids bikes don't get much discussion around here, but I received my son's Woom 5 yesterday and am pretty impressed. Packing is great and assembly took about 30 minutes (20 of which was cutting all the foam and cardboard shipping protection off).

The bike is incredibly light weight and you can tell they have thought of every detail. Its much nicer than the Cleary 3 speed owl he had before. I also didn't need to fiddle with the brake adjustments and such out of the box like I did the Cleary.

Wait times are really long, but we ended up getting it two weeks ahead of schedule. I would absolutely recommend if you are in the market.

Last edited by CDollarsign; 06-08-2021 at 12:33 PM.
Old 06-08-2021, 10:28 AM

To pile on, I've been really impressed with Woom products. I've had bikes for my kids from both Woom and Cleary. They're both great kids brands (and miles above your usual department store junk at that age), but the Woom wins hands down. My son started on a 12 inch Cleary and upgraded to his older sister's Woom 3 this year. The thoughtfulness in the design on the Woom is really impressive, both because of its lighter weight, but also the front wheel stabilizer and more upright riding position (though I understand some kids may be more comfortable with the more aggressive position of the Cleary). My daughter upgraded from the Woom 3 to a 4 this year, and has been similarly happy. We picked ours up on Craigslist locally before the pandemic. I was so impressed with the Woom 3 when my daughter was still using it, that we kept our eyes out for a Woom 4 to keep in the shed until she was big enough to make the switch. Now they're all either out of stock or for sale locally at nearly new prices. Hopefully we'll stumble on a Woom 5 that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.
Old 06-08-2021, 12:04 PM

I have been very happy - and more importantly my daughter has been very happy - with her Woom Off 5. Bike is lighter than the much smaller Giant she was moving from (and that is a nice bike except for the weight). The light weight, massive tires and solid brakes are really confidence inspiring for her. Need to get her on some more trails.

She is going through a big growth spurt now which has me concerned she will out grow it quickly.
Old 06-08-2021, 01:27 PM

Woom's are great. In fact, probably the best kid's bike brand. They are so light compare to other kid's bikes with the exception of Easy Rider. One thing to be aware of is their headsets blow up or come loose pretty quickly. I have had to fix quite a few in the neighborhood.
Old 06-08-2021, 08:05 PM

Not to derail the thread but does anyone have anything to say about Trailcraft?
Old 06-08-2021, 08:11 PM
Administrator

this is great. looks like there is some room to grow into that too. perfect.

good dads get to heaven first.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:20 PM
but not really

Very happy woom owner here too. My older son rode the 24inch wheeled version for 1.5 years before moving to road and cx and hard core mtb worthy bikes. Now my younger son is on the woom. I put mtb tires on it and removed the kickstand so he can hit the trails with us. I'll put the hybrid style tires back on for cruising the Nantucket bike paths this summer. We've given the woom a pretty good beating and no headset issues here though I do see they're lower end bearings. Our neighbors have a woom 3 and 2 and were hoping to find a 4 but settled for a used islabike for the next step. Woom are great bikes and the company has great service.

At the mtb races we see a lot of smaller juniors on trail craft bikes. They're way more rugged than the woom and definitely legit trail worthy bikes as long as your kid has the strength and experience to maneuver it.

I'm now in the market for a small fs 27.5 bike for my older son and his 26er hardtail will get passed on to his brother.