Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-18-2021, 03:59 PM
Meh

Rene Herse Extralight - Initiating Divorce Proceedings

First let me say, RH Standard casing, you're cool - you can stick around. You've never left me stranded by the side of the road, or ruined multiple rides, unlike, um, a friend of yours.

Endurance casing - you act like other tubeless tires do, I like you too! You actually... work! And you can be mounted more than once without your bead self-destructing!

But Extralight - I'm sorry, today was the last straw. You've ruined many rides. This time, you ruined a ride without even being ridden. We're going to have to enter a trial separation, and I'm moving on with my life.

Specifically, replacing a worn Bon Jon EL this morning with a brand new one, the sidewall split open while I aired it up to 35 psi, spewing sealant, bubbles, and a telltale air jet that no amount of sealant would correct. I know this Enve wheel, tape, and valve work just fine with other tires, including your siblings. It's not me Extralight, it's you. You're just not a tubeless tire, though you claim to be. Your supple ride and fetching looks has fooled me into thinking you are an acceptable tire for the last time. Time for us to break up.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0143.jpg (87.6 KB, 560 views)
Old 01-18-2021, 04:29 PM
ZhugeLiang

What a messy divorce!
Old 01-18-2021, 04:32 PM

Too light I guess
Old 01-18-2021, 04:59 PM

I’m baffled why anyone uses any of their tires. They are expensive, sound like a headache when tubeless, and have a very high failure rate vs most other tires.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
I’m baffled why anyone uses any of their tires. They are expensive, sound like a headache when tubeless, and have a very high failure rate vs most other tires.
They ride really really nice. Its quite an amazing tire and then you ride them long enough and get fed up with it and quit and decide to go with another tire.

I would like to try the endurance casing though....

Heres my RH tire after about 500km. JRA day after a gravel ride-- no glass or anything--maybe a sharp rock?

Either way I had bought that tire not long before and having to pay $80 to get another one was when I said Ive had enough. The tires are great but at what cost? I cant afford to be stranded with no cell service in the middle of nowhere

Last edited by jtakeda; 01-18-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:07 PM

I understand the gripe that they are labelled as tubeless but don't perform as such. It does seem that the bead and sidewalls are ill-suited for that.

Personally, I would rather have the EL casing than tubeless compatibility. I run my 700x44 EL meats with tubes. Sublime!

KJ
Old 01-18-2021, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
They ride really really nice. Its quite an amazing tire and then you ride them long enough and get fed up with it and quit and decide to go with another tire.

I would like to try the endurance casing though....
I run the Snowquamie with Endurance Casing tubeless and have had zero issues (mounting or self-destructing). I've had a couple of punctures which sealed without issue. I ride on absolute sh#t roads East and South and West of Austin.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:20 PM

It's that tires first time to "go for a ride" so to speak and it was probably just a little over excited and couldn't contain itself. Won't be the last time a good looker turned out to blow it's slimey goo a bit prematurely and leave someone feeling disappointed and frustrated.

Who pays for shipping on a faulty product like that?
Old 01-18-2021, 05:25 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldfatslow View Post
I run the Snowquamie with Endurance Casing tubeless and have had zero issues (mounting or self-destructing). I've had a couple of punctures which sealed without issue. I ride on absolute sh#t roads East and South and West of Austin.
This checks out, the Endurance casing seems to actually be a functioning tubeless tire. Consequently, it does lose a bit of #thesupplelife magic, but not exploding randomly strikes me as an acceptable trade off. They can also be remounted successfully after being removed, which the EL also sometimes fails at.

They also chose a weird brown color for them - I guess so you’d know they aren’t the super special magic tires.

A 44mm tire that requires tubes to function in 2021? Please.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli Bingham View Post
This checks out, the Endurance casing seems to actually be a functioning tubeless tire. Consequently, it does lose a bit of #thesupplelife magic, but not exploding randomly strikes me as an acceptable trade off. They can also be remounted successfully after being removed, which the EL also sometimes fails at.

They also chose a weird brown color for them - I guess so you’d know they aren’t the super special magic tires.

A 44mm tire that requires tubes to function in 2021? Please.
Sounds like the endurance casing is akin to a panaracer gravel king that goes for half the price.

I doubt any of their tires would survive more than a ride or two for me...the ride does sound sublime though when they work.
Old 01-18-2021, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtakeda View Post
Heres my RH tire after about 500km. JRA day after a gravel ride-- no glass or anything--maybe a sharp rock?

That happened to me with a Michelin Racelite or some such tire, 12 miles in. Went right back to Continentals.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 01-18-2021, 05:57 PM
Meh

Quote:
Sounds like the endurance casing is akin to a panaracer gravel king that goes for half the price.

I doubt any of their tires would survive more than a ride or two for me...the ride does sound sublime though when they work.
Sorta agree, but the RH knob patterns (eg Hurricane Ridge) are superior to the GravelKing SKs on and off pavement.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:03 PM

I've been mostly on Conti road tires since mid 90's after a string of failures on Michelin HD Supercomp or Hi-Lite which at the time seemed to be in this ultralight casing camp. I've gotten so few flat tires in the last 25 years I can't imagine trying anything suer light. I even ride Ruffy Tuffy or Gatorskins in the winter because hell with that when it's cold and or cold and wet.

GP4000 and now GP5000 if it's my money paying for them and I've run a ton of free tires over the years but aways migrate back. I assumed these were always in the lightweight sidewall vs super light. Right?

I get it but I don't get it.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:10 PM

Quote:
seriously.
and there are a lot of places i'd rather have a failure than my tires. yeesh. no thanks.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:21 PM

Quote:
I'm particularly baffled especially because of how many of their riders are on downtube or barend shifters, 36 spoke wheels, and 30+ pound bikes for "durability" and then run tires that have this frequency of ride-ending issues.