Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2020, 11:12 PM
shimergo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
I've been curious about a 700c disc set for 35-40mm tires with medium depth rims and even though I roll my own have been eyeing the BTLOS wheelsets lately. I configured a set and just now asked via the chat if I could spec a set but make the rear 28h and front 24h. I received a prompt response that this used to be fine, but supply issues with DT Swiss dictate they can currently only offer matched pairs.

Not sure if I should go with 24h or 28h. Weight is definitely a consideration and I realize the difference is very minimal, but I spent years riding overbuilt wheels. The theoretical aero improvement is also a reason for ordering.

I think I'll go with the Premium WGX40 rims, DT350 straight pull hubs, Pillar spokes, and brass nips. I've used Pillars on several wheelsets now and I like them.
FWIW I ordered/received a similar build a couple weeks ago. WGX30/DT350 SP (28H)/Pillar 1420 spokes/Alloy nips. The calculated weight in the build configurator is pretty spot on. My set weighed in 12g lighter than advertised.

Last edited by scoobydrew; 12-19-2020 at 03:22 PM.
Old 12-19-2020, 07:31 AM

Good info. Thanks!

What was the weight? Did you go with the premium rim?
Old 12-19-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veloduffer View Post
Here are the wheels on my Mosaic. I went with ghosted decals and silver spokes (to avoid too much black, plus silver is good with titanium). Pretty easy to set up tubeless.

That's a great looking set up. Nice!
Old 12-19-2020, 03:46 PM
shimergo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Good info. Thanks!

What was the weight? Did you go with the premium rim?
Oops just caught a mistake - I went back and corrected my post to read WGX30 instead of WGX35. They are the Premium rims.

Calculated weight (per their configurator): 1457.92g +/- 25g

Actual weight (their scale): 1446g
Actual weight (my scale): 1440g

They include a tag with each wheel with the actual weight and some other QC info/measurements.

Old 12-19-2020, 04:01 PM

Placed my order on 11/29. Received an email a day or two later to confirm that what I ordered is what I wanted, (easy to click the wrong choice in an online order.) No estimated ship date, but I'm okay with that.

WGX30
- Series: Premium
- Finish: Matte
- Weave: UD
- Hub Type: DT SWISS 240 EXP
- Spoke Count: 24H/24H
- Axle Size ( Front/Rear ): Thru Axle 12*100mm / 12*142mm ( Disc )
- Ratchet: EXP (36T)
- Freehub: Shimano Road 11S
- Brake Interface: Center Lock ( Disc )
- Spoke: Pillar Aero X-TRA 1420
- Spoke System: Straight pull
- Nipple: Brass Black
- Decal colors: Black
Estimated weight- 1,368 gms

$873 with shipping, the BF sale and fees.

Pics once they arrive
Old 01-09-2021, 06:30 PM

Do these folks make 650b wheels for gravel? The WM-i22A wheel is for XC and listed under MTB wheels, and tire size is 1.9 - 2.3. Can a much smaller tire such as a 38 be run on these rims? They are 22mm ID which doesn't seem so mega.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:41 PM

Amy @BTLOS would be a good source for your q on 650b. She was very easy to work with on my order. Email is:

sales@btlos.com
Old 01-10-2021, 05:57 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHAero View Post
Do these folks make 650b wheels for gravel? The WM-i22A wheel is for XC and listed under MTB wheels, and tire size is 1.9 - 2.3. Can a much smaller tire such as a 38 be run on these rims? They are 22mm ID which doesn't seem so mega.
22mm ID and 38mm tire is no problem.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjbraun View Post
Placed my order on 11/29. Received an email a day or two later to confirm that what I ordered is what I wanted, (easy to click the wrong choice in an online order.) No estimated ship date, but I'm okay with that.

WGX30
- Finish: Matte
- Axle Size ( Front/Rear ): Thru Axle 12*100mm / 12*142mm ( Disc )
- Freehub: Shimano Road 11S
- Spoke: Pillar Aero X-TRA 1420
- Decal colors: Black
Estimated weight- 1,368 gms

$873 with shipping, the BF sale and fees.

Pics once they arrive
That’s a pretty nice price. I’m looking for a set of carbon disc wheels for my wife and was about ready to go Light Bike but these are tempting. Difference is about $300 but the LB are 100g lighter. Hmm.
Old 01-10-2021, 11:56 AM

Do you see where the weight difference is? I tried to configure a set of 650b wheels with the same specs on Lightbicycle and BTLOS sites, and the BTLOS are 35g heavier, and that's in the rims. I selected Premium on BTLOS and Standard on LB, and the rim weight difference is 30g total, so the comparison seems pretty good. The BTLOS rims are asymmetric, which seems like a good choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle h View Post
That’s a pretty nice price. I’m looking for a set of carbon disc wheels for my wife and was about ready to go Light Bike but these are tempting. Difference is about $300 but the LB are 100g lighter. Hmm.
Old 02-03-2021, 08:12 AM

Update

The following is NOT a complaint - I'm posting for others to understand possible issues with a vendor far away and in a way different time zone. I'm not in a rush for my wheelset, but others may order with different requirements. This is TLR for most but if you are thinking of ordering from BTLOS it may be useful. I feel that their communications have been sometimes slow but excellent, and that they are trying to make it work. I think I should have been a bit more proactive about inquiring about all the available options. My biggest concern at this point is that the wheels arrive and because I haven't been clear I don't get what I think I ordered, because we know we're not sending stuff back to China.

I ordered January 12th and received the thorough confirmation email the next day. I had to respond reminding them I had asked for the front to be 12x100 not 15. We had a couple of back and forths over the next 4 days (I think time zones matter here!) about that because the wheels I bought are listed in their MTB section not gravel so they confirmed that these are for a road bike.

Yesterday I got this email from BTLOS:

"I hope you are well and your wheelset has been completed, but all our wheel details are strictly inspected before shipment to ensure that all details are correct.

Since DT240 EXP is a new hub, there is currently no 28H, center lock straightpull, we tried to use a converter to solve this problem(12mm adatper).

Before shipment, in order to ensure that all details are correct, we installed the hub with the converter on the bike and found that the disc was misaligned, which was verified, so the size was changed, but it was not feasible.

Solution:

Changed to DT 350 hub, this hub has the same configuration, we will refund the balance for you.

We are very sorry for any inconvenience to you."

I wrote back saying I didn't want the 350 hub and asking what other options were available. BTLOS responded, "How about 24h DT240 exp hubs?"

I actually prefer the 24H but they weren't listed as an option in the build sequence tool, so I responded that this was my preference and it would be fine. I asked for a response to confirm.

Here's what I got this morning:

"Here is our reply.

1. We need to re-make 24H rims for you.
Since we strictly inspected the converter before shipment, this is not feasible. So we will re-arrange new wheels for you.
However, We will spend our New Year holiday from February 8th to February 21st. Since your order is out of stock, we need to arrange production fresh. We will try our best to arrange your order as soon as possible after the holiday, so your order Probably shipped in early March. Does it work for you?

2. We have, 650B, GX40, 24H/24H, UD, Matte, 40mm depth, with hook, in stock. It can be shipped before Chinese New Year vacation.

We will offer 3pcs, spokes and nipples for you.

- Rim Size: 650B
- Finish: Glossy
- Front Axle: 15*100mm
- Rear Axle: 12*142mm
- Freehub: Shimano 9-11spd
- Spoke: Sapim CX-Ray
- Decal colors: None

Sorry for any trouble caused to you, we are willing to offer you an additional $20 discount.

Thanks,
Amy"

And I wrote back:

"Good morning (here) Amy

Thank you for your response. I would like the WM-i22A wheels that I originally ordered except in 24H/24H, which I didn’t know were available. Your list below is correct except for the front axle which is 12x100mm, not 15!

I am willing to wait the extra time to get the wheelset perfect! Please make it right.

I am sure you all fully deserve a good vacation! Not a problem.

Is it all clear to you? I copied the specifications below with the changes, hole count and front axle diameter. Please confirm.

Thank you!
Marc

- Rim Size: 650B
- Finish: Glossy
- Front Axle: 15*100mm 12*100mm
- Rear Axle: 12*142mm
- Freehub: Shimano 9-11spd