Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 11-30-2020, 02:57 PM

(Rant warning) Rene Herse tires poorly designed for tubeless?

I’ve mounted enough tubeless tires to know that they have to be tight on the rim to have any chance of getting the bead to seat. The Oracle ridge tires that I mounted were super loose. Like easily went on by hand with no tools loose. I had to wrap several more layers of rim tape to get them to seat with my booster. Fast forward to a big multi day trip. One starts leaking out the bead. One day it’s just totally flat. Can’t pump it up of course because no booster during bike packing. Took it off to put in a tube and it was looooose. The bead definitely stretched. Now I need to put even more (!) rim tape on there to get it to work reliably

Meanwhile on the Rene herse site you have Jan heine saying not to use an air compressor to seat tubeless tires ever. OK dude please never watch what they do at bike shops.

I’m mostly disappointed because of course my schwalbe tires were perfect but my SO’s expensive fancy Rene herse tires just weren’t up for the task and personally I believe they are not made to proper spec and are sketchy. Also based on some other contrarian stuff that mr heine has said it makes me think he had something to do with this because he just has to do things his way which might mean making the bead loose AF. I don’t know.

Has anyone else experienced this? These were new, normal rims that have had other tubeless tires on them with no problems.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:05 PM

Some people have problems. Others don't. This thread will not resolve yours, I'm quite sure. Flamers flame, haters hate, Kool-Aid drinkers mount defenses, and so on. This is how this thread is likely to end, as many before it.

I would suggest contacting RH with photos and the details you didn't provide here (rim model, rim tape, tire pressures used, sealant type, etc). It could very well be a warranty issue.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:17 PM
Administrator

i personally have mounted RH tires tubeless with success, but i feel like, in general, especially the really wide ones - are just too supple in the sidewall to reliably hold up tubeless, especially at lower pressures offroad. i think with that much profile, the sidewall simply needs a little more rigidity to go tubeless easily, they are very soft and compliant and getting two beads to seat is a real chore IMO.

i feel for you. it sucks when equipment issues put a damper on a big trip.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
Some people have problems. Others don't. This thread will not resolve yours, I'm quite sure. Flamers flame, haters hate, Kool-Aid drinkers mount defenses, and so on. This is how this thread is likely to end, as many before it.

I would suggest contacting RH with photos and the details you didn't provide here (rim model, rim tape, tire pressures used, sealant type, etc). It could very well be a warranty issue.
At this point I’m just curious what other people have experienced.

These are oem trek wheels on a checkpoint SL that came with some bontrager tires set up tubeless. The original rim tape was thin and I put on like 5 layers of DT Swiss tape. I used stans sealant and the tires were inflated to around 35-40psi probably.

I think I’m going to have to get the gorilla tape rim tape which is thicker because I can’t afford to throw rolls of dt Swiss at this. I’m a little concerned there might be a limit to how much rim tape you can use and still have a solid bead.

These tires were *this* close to being a huge problem

Last edited by mtechnica; 11-30-2020 at 03:27 PM.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonelJLloyd View Post
lol good luck getting anyone on the phone or email. They made it very clear that personalized CS isn't a priority during the pandemic bike boom. If you can't find it in their FAQ you're SOL.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:23 PM
aka RAEKWON

I have to say, have never had any problems mounting RH tubeless. I actually used to run my babyshoe pass non tubeless (back in compass days) tubeless and that worked well for a few thousands of miles.

I can only speak of the standard tire, never tried the ultra light super supple planning tire because I have no used for it, I have heard way more tubeless trouble stories with those.

As far as compressor, who knows why he is saying that, I bet it is to cover their ass since with a compressor you can absolutely over inflate. I have never used a compressor to set up tubeless, I bet it would be nice though because my method can sometimes be a pain in the ass but ti has always worked and I am not setting tubeless tires day in day out
Old 11-30-2020, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
i personally have mounted RH tires tubeless with success, but i feel like, in general, especially the really wide ones - are just too supple in the sidewall to reliably hold up tubeless, especially at lower pressures offroad. i think with that much profile, the sidewall simply needs a little more rigidity to go tubeless easily, they are very soft and compliant and getting two beads to seat is a real chore IMO.

i feel for you. it sucks when equipment issues put a damper on a big trip.
Yeah tell me about it being a chore. Pumping the booster to 160psi a dozen times in one evening is just too much for me to handle. They do seem like great tires though when they work.
Old 11-30-2020, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
lol good luck getting anyone on the phone or email. They made it very clear that personalized CS isn't a priority during the pandemic bike boom. If you can't find it in their FAQ you're SOL.
I’m not complaining but they were impossible to contact when I had an issue with their tracking information. They dgaf
Old 11-30-2020, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtechnica View Post
I’m not complaining but they were impossible to contact when I had an issue with their tracking information. They dgaf

I had submitted a warranty claim on a Bon Jon Pass tire that weeped sealant like nobody’s business.

I used their website to submit the claim and uploaded pictures, as required.

I did this in July.

Fast forward, I had emailed for a follow up with no replies.

I saw them on Instagram and send a message and they replied within a day or so and apologized for the lack of follow up. It was mentioned there were issues with their email system in July.

They requested my address and send me a new tire that I received within 10 days.

If you have an Instagram account, reach out to them.

Joel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11-30-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by javendan View Post
I had submitted a warranty claim on a Bon Jon Pass tire that weeped sealant like nobody’s business.

I used their website to submit the claim and uploaded pictures, as required.

I did this in July.

Fast forward, I had emailed for a follow up with no replies.

I saw them on Instagram and send a message and they replied within a day or so and apologized for the lack of follow up. It was mentioned there were issues with their email system in July.

They requested my address and send me a new tire that I received within 10 days.

If you have an Instagram account, reach out to them.

Joel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks for the idea, maybe I’ll try contacting them and see what they say.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:31 PM

I've had trouble with both the 35’s and the 38’s in 700c. The 35’s bled orange seal forever and demanded I pour an excessive amount in. They wouldn't stay at pressure for even half a day.
Sent pictures of the sidewalls and a friendly explanation, hoping for some solution to the problem. Definitely not the tyres fault according to RH.

As I'm a glutton for punishment, I bought a set of the 38’s and used the new sealant they recommend. These also would not hold pressure. I then cleaned them and tried orange seal again, and then muc off after that. I now have them
installed with inner tubes, and they are great.

Although my favourites are the 32’s with tubes, they are just right for the roads I ride.

It could, of course, be my rims. I’ve not tried any other tubeless tyres on them. However, I don't feel inclined to do so for a while.

So, my experience has been bad, but I've no idea if other makes would be any better.

Last edited by charlieclick; 11-30-2020 at 04:32 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 11-30-2020, 04:37 PM

(Rant warning) Rene Herse tires poorly designed for tubeless?

I have been successful with setting all of my Herse tires up tubeless, but my last set of Juniper Ridge did take a few extra wraps of tubeless tape on my ATR 650b wheels. They were also brand new. Haven’t had any real issues with these tires since multiple flats on a tubed Bon Jon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2020, 04:42 PM
#BLM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pegoready View Post
I got a 7 day response doing a return, which I thought was pretty good, given the reputation, and I'm no runny arse apologist. I'd be more impressed if the tires weren't chronically undersized.
Old 11-30-2020, 04:49 PM

Old 11-30-2020, 05:17 PM

My local shop refuses to sell or mount Bon Jon Pass tires on any wheel.

Tags
snake oil, too good to be true