Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > Image Gallery > Production Bikes

Old 11-16-2020, 05:09 PM
SAVETHERIMBRAKE

Colnago Extreme Power (with a sweet backstory)

In an unusual turn of events, I sold my Extreme C. Basically I saw an Extreme Power for sale that was NOS... that got me excited, so I did an EOI for the Extreme C on a Facebook group. The Extreme C sold very quickly, but as I pursued the NOS Extreme Power I discovered that it was not my size.

So. That left me Colnago-less and with some spare change in the wallet. A hunt ensued.

I ended up coming across this bike. Located in Italy, and said to be a gift from Ernesto Colnago to his son in law, Vanni Brambilla. This was indicated by a "Vanni" decal on the frame.

I wasn't so sure about the story - but the bike presented very well and looked to be in as good condition and as lightly ridden as you could expect for a 14-15 year old bike. It wasn't cheap, but it wasn't expensive. And I figured, if I like the bike I can sell most of the build to balance the books.

As it so happens, the "Vanni" decal isn't actually a decal, it's paint and under the clear. It also is missing the bottle mounts for a second cage... maybe lending credence to the story that it's actually Vanni's coffee shop bike?

Who knows, but it is a very nice bike. I will be rebuilding it to my own tastes soon enough...

Update: Along the way, the seller has provided some photos of himself with Ernesto at the Colnago factory, with the bike sitting in the background. The photo is dated July 2020 (according to EXIF data). This seems to indicate that the story is likely to be true; but most importantly signifies that the bike spent most of its time in the Colnago factory since it's birth back in 2007.

Some pics as arrived:

Stripped:

Fully built:

Build Spec:

Frame: Colnago Extreme Power 52S
Fork: Colnago Star
Stem: Deda Superleggero
Bars: Deda Zero100 Shallow
Shifter: Dura Ace 9001
Crank / Powermeter: SRM DA9000
Pedals: Shimano Ultegra
Front Derailleur / Rear Derailleur: DA9000
Brakes: Shimano DA9000 / Enve Pads
Seat: Specialized S-Works (Ti rails)
Seatpost: Colnago
Wheels: Enve 2.2
Skewers: Unknown... They're red
Cage: Arundle Mandible
Tape: Fabric Hex

Last edited by jimmy-moots; 11-30-2020 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-16-2020, 05:28 PM
PegPinaNagos

WHOA!

That is awesome! Easy to get 2nd bottle cage mounts by someone knowledgeable with carbon.

I had an Extreme-C with the rig-nuts (to mount the bottle cages) looks and Ruckus Composites was able to install new ones for me.

There has to be someone Down Under that can do that for you.

Seems to me like you found an amazing frameset!
Old 11-16-2020, 05:29 PM
PegPinaNagos

Also, that's the perfect groupset for that bike. Just sayin'.
Old 11-16-2020, 05:41 PM

That's pristine! And let's be honest....one bottle is plenty for most rides.. if it's not, just stop more often.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 11-16-2020, 05:45 PM

Beautiful. I love where this is headed. I agree with clean. Leave it to one cage. The naked seat tube looks cool too.
Old 11-16-2020, 06:13 PM
PegPinaNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post
That's pristine! And let's be honest....one bottle is plenty for most rides.. if it's not, just stop more often.

Jerseys have 3 pockets too. So you could carry 3 bottles that way.
Old 11-16-2020, 07:10 PM

That sure is pretty. I always wanted an Extreme C or an Extreme Power, but they were always too pricey for me.

Well I guess this explains why you bought the VXR.

I've never seen a Colnago with the signature on the down tube instead of the top tube.

Enjoy the build process.

(Did you finish the VXR yet?)
Old 11-16-2020, 07:11 PM

What an awesome story, and beautiful bike! Where’d you find it for sale?
Old 11-17-2020, 12:24 AM
SAVETHERIMBRAKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
Also, that's the perfect groupset for that bike. Just sayin'.
The R10 will be making way for something else that’s not Italian. I don’t think that’s sacreligious... and it’s my bike after all... but I’m sure some people will think I’m a weird guy.

Which I am. Haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clean39T View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdgenbird View Post
Beautiful. I love where this is headed. I agree with clean. Leave it to one cage. The naked seat tube looks cool too.
Yeah will definitely leave as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_fat_and_slow View Post
That sure is pretty. I always wanted an Extreme C or an Extreme Power, but they were always too pricey for me.

Well I guess this explains why you bought the VXR.

I've never seen a Colnago with the signature on the down tube instead of the top tube.

Enjoy the build process.

(Did you finish the VXR yet?)
It all worked out well in the end but the VXR wasn’t premeditated to lead to this... it just happened organically, in the end realising that I had two bikes doing a very similar job. Which I was still happy with, but the lure of a NOS Colnago drew me in and I ended up here!

RE: the downtube signature - like you, I’d never seen it before. It is a thing with Extreme Powers with this specific “paint layout”. It’s on this colourway and a few others with the same paint arrangement (but different colours).

Yep VXR is finished! Got it rolling last week, photos all in that thread. It’s very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by retropean View Post
What an awesome story, and beautiful bike! Where’d you find it for sale?
I found it for sale on eBay from a vintage bike dealer over in Italy. I almost missed the story about Vanni, I’d scoured that many listings... I was just drawn in by the condition. The seller and I worked out an offer we were both happy with and now I’m here.

I tell you what, the 10 odd days for shipping out of Italy had me with perpetually sweaty palms.
Old 11-17-2020, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy-moots View Post

Wow! What a beautiful machine and a cool story about it being made for Ernesto's SIL. For some reason, it looks really small compared to the seat in this picture.

I have a C50 in this same paint scheme (the only one that I've seen in the US). It also has the Ernesto signature on the downtube instead of the top tube. I hadn't noticed it before or it just didn't register for some reason.

Congrats on a REALLY cool and beautiful bike!

Texbike

Last edited by texbike; 11-19-2020 at 08:56 AM. Reason: revise pic
Old 11-17-2020, 09:23 AM
PegPinaNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_fat_and_slow View Post
Extreme-C and Extreme Power framesets are absolutely my favorite "bargain" used bikes. Good examples of each can be found for around $1,000-ish ($800-$1200). So not so pricey anymore and just as good as they have always been.

If I were stricken with a financial crisis and had to sell of of my bikes and keep just one, the Extreme Power would be the one that I keep.
Old 11-17-2020, 06:57 PM
SAVETHERIMBRAKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by texbike View Post
For some reason, it looks really small compared to the seat in this picture.
Ha! My wife, who rarely comments on my bikes, asked me if I was changing the seat as it looked very odd.

To which I agreed. It's an odd looking seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
Extreme-C and Extreme Power framesets are absolutely my favorite "bargain" used bikes. Good examples of each can be found for around $1,000-ish ($800-$1200). So not so pricey anymore and just as good as they have always been.

If I were stricken with a financial crisis and had to sell of of my bikes and keep just one, the Extreme Power would be the one that I keep.
It's a funny market, there are people asking absolutely silly money "because Colnago" with a 10 year old build... and then others are available with more realistic pricing.

I've scoured the market internationally a few times now and found that the cheap stuff tends to be banged up or otherwise have a reason for being cheap. The cool paint jobs carry a premium. And anything underpriced sells immediately. And you see the overpriced stuff sit for months on end, with sellers unwilling to listen to logic around price negotiation!

I probably paid slight overs for this but given the condition I was happy to. The provenance is a bonus.
Old 11-17-2020, 07:34 PM
PegPinaNagos

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy-moots View Post
It's a funny market, there are people asking absolutely silly money "because Colnago" with a 10 year old build... and then others are available with more realistic pricing.

I've scoured the market internationally a few times now and found that the cheap stuff tends to be banged up or otherwise have a reason for being cheap. The cool paint jobs carry a premium. And anything underpriced sells immediately. And you see the overpriced stuff sit for months on end, with sellers unwilling to listen to logic around price negotiation!

I probably paid slight overs for this but given the condition I was happy to. The provenance is a bonus.
That's absolutely right on all points.

When I was hunting for my (then your) Extreme-C I spent months looking internationally. There are so many banged up frames out there, then frames with "removed" serial numbers, or "new paint". The good ones are hard to come by at a good price.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:06 PM
SAVETHERIMBRAKE

Spent some time in the stand over the last couple of days:

Stripped down - man she’s a clean rig

Build with everything fitted, thought I had some outer cable but don’t...

Old 11-23-2020, 06:37 AM

Beautiful bike, and whatever you do, do not add bottle mounts for a second cage... The missing bottle mounts on Colnago usually signifies it was a team bike which actually adds credibility to the back story.