Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-05-2007, 10:18 AM

Nitto 177 Noodle bars

I'm looking for a pair of silver bars with a flat ramp to retrofit my 1991 NHX. I plan to use a Nitto Techno Deluxe stem and like the flat ramp of the noodle bar, however I'm concerned the reach may a bit too long. I have read reach measurements from 90mm to 110mm and Nitto lists them at 95mm. There are not many choices when it comes to silver bars, especially polished silver. I'm also considering Cinellis if any model will provide me with a flat ramp. Another posibility is Deda 215 in silver or a Ritchey Biomax in silver. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff
Old 02-05-2007, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FierteTi52
I'm looking for a pair of silver bars with a flat ramp to retrofit my 1991 NHX. I plan to use a Nitto Techno Deluxe stem and like the flat ramp of the noodle bar, however I'm concerned the reach may a bit too long. I have read reach measurements from 90mm to 110mm and Nitto lists them at 95mm. There are not many choices when it comes to silver bars, especially polished silver. I'm also considering Cinellis if any model will provide me with a flat ramp. Another posibility is Deda 215 in silver or a Ritchey Biomax in silver. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jeff
I *THINK* the reach is at the longer end, closer to 110, but is compensated for somewhat because the bar sweeps back from the stem to the bends. So while the reach is relatively long from the bends forward to the hood position, that starting point is pulled back by the sweep of the bars. Making it functionally more like a 90 or 95. I don't know the exact figures, but I know what the bar looks and feels like.

You can see it here:

http://www.rivbike.com/images/catpics/16-111.jpg

-Ray

Last edited by Ray; 02-05-2007 at 10:40 AM.
Old 02-05-2007, 11:05 AM
Serpico

fyi, the deda bars aren't polished. "frosted" might be a better term.
Old 02-05-2007, 12:02 PM

nitto neat from soma fab

never tried these; and not sure anyone else sells this model.

between Riv and Nitto and others who sell Nitto bars, it is easy to get confused.

http://store.somafab.com/ninedrbaposi.html
Old 02-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Driveway Champion

one thing to point out about the nitto stems - they are very long. i have the deluxe and bumped into an unexpected problem. I can only put it down so far. It is so long that it actually bottoms out in my fork / steerer. i thought i would love a very high bar but found that my bike was squirly with my hands very high. i went to drop it down and found that they did not go down to where my deda murex did.

as a reference. i ride a 53 x 53.5 CRL, though i won't be able to measure the HT until i get home.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:07 PM

I have Deda 215's on my Legend. Like them very much. Wish they were about 1cm longer at the ends, but that's nitpicking. The shape suits my hand well, and there's a pretty nice flat behind the brifters.

I have Ritchey WCS gay bars on my Parlee. Not really thrilled. I also have sitting right here next to me a set of Nitto 177's, 44 cm that I bought to replace the Ritcheys. I think they're a drop too wide for me and I really should have the 42's. Still in genuine Nitto plastic, untouched by human hands. Shoot me a PM if you think they would work for you.
Old 02-05-2007, 01:07 PM

I'll tell you what's short reach, comfortable and silver. It's the 3ttt Morphe. I don't think they're still being made, so you have to go to ebay. I regret giving mine up a few years ago. Remember, 3ttt measures outside to outside. The Morphe is 7075 so it's lighter than the Nitto or lower end Biomax. BTW: the Biomax is comfortable, I use them, but the reach is quite normal in my experience. The 3ttt uses a fairly standard bend, but because of the way it's bent it works out to be a shorter reach. In my case, the bar solved a frame fit issue.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:28 PM

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.
Jeff
Old 02-05-2007, 07:38 PM

good discussion here

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showth...ighlight=nitto

I am personally about to try the 176 bars. You could always go to a shorter stem to fix the reach problem. Have you considered that option?

Kent
Old 02-05-2007, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6267a
one thing to point out about the nitto stems - they are very long. i have the deluxe and bumped into an unexpected problem. I can only put it down so far. It is so long that it actually bottoms out in my fork / steerer. i thought i would love a very high bar but found that my bike was squirly with my hands very high. i went to drop it down and found that they did not go down to where my deda murex did.

as a reference. i ride a 53 x 53.5 CRL, though i won't be able to measure the HT until i get home.
On this topic, I recently learned that it can be dangerous to insert a stem *too* far into the steerer tube:

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/handsup.html

Quote:
Note: Steerers are butted at the bottom, so the hole in the steerer is constant-diameter until near the bottom, then the walls taper inward in the butted section. It is vitally important that the stem extender (or stem) is not inserted so far that the wedge is installed where the steerer is narrowing, or it could come loose unpredictably. This is sometimes a problem on smaller frames if you try to insert the stem or a stem riser too far down into the steerer.
Who knew?