Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 03-12-2020, 10:31 AM
Administrator

Corona Pandemic Thread

OK, there was a lot of interest in re-opening the previous thread, but I'm starting a new one here for discussion.

Please, as a reminder: review the rules. Stay away from overtly political posting. think before you post. no attacks, no cheap shots, name calling, etc.

Fair warning, this thread is an important current event, and something people here want to discuss. if you cross the line, just expect a time out.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:33 AM

thank you... I think
Old 03-12-2020, 10:34 AM
Administrator

This one kind of surprised me:

REI Garage Sale this weekend.

Our local REI holds garage sales in a back room that gets really crowded. I would think in light of what's going on they would cancel/postpone this. A bunch of gear nuts that typically are heavy travelers pawing through used gear. eek.

c'mon REI.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rei.JPG (46.6 KB, 851 views)
Old 03-12-2020, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
This one kind of surprised me:

REI Garage Sale this weekend.

Our local REI holds garage sales in a back room that gets really crowded. I would think in light of what's going on they would cancel/postpone this. A bunch of gear nuts that typically are heavy travelers pawing through used gear. eek.

c'mon REI.
given the s***e wares they've been hawking lately, perhaps they are just looking for an excuse to justify the deservedly s***e turnout?

that said, a friend did manage to snag a Pantaguccia (or is it Arcteryx, can't remember) on significant discount at the last REI sale (the one on Rt 10 in Livingston, no less). So i guess it's not all bad?

Okay, sorry for the tangent post; back on track
Old 03-12-2020, 10:42 AM

Flights now are really cheap. I'm thinking of buying a $145 round-trip ticket from NYC to Toronto to visit my sister next weekend. Bad idea?
Old 03-12-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
OK, there was a lot of interest in re-opening the previous thread, but I'm starting a new one here for discussion.

Please, as a reminder: review the rules. Stay away from overtly political posting. think before you post. no attacks, no cheap shots, name calling, etc.

Fair warning, this thread is an important current event, and something people here want to discuss. if you cross the line, just expect a time out.
Thanks!
(I was thinking of starting a "OT Closing Closing threads thread" )

Last edited by Tony T; 03-12-2020 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:45 AM

Just had a second client cancel. The fears of the virus are very real. Remote training is probably the wave of the near future. Which really sucks, because I've had most of my clients for 6-10 years. They're friendships more than anything else. Almost all the large offices in SF have been shut, at least till the beginning of the month.

I also wonder how we greet people we love. I'm a "huggy" guy. Many people I care for have opted for elbow bumps. That seems really cold, but I guess it's the new reality.

Last edited by XXtwindad; 03-12-2020 at 10:53 AM.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:46 AM

Westport, Connecticut:
First Selectman Jim Marpe held a news conference today outside Town Hall to announce that there has been evidence of COVID-19 community spread in Westport. The link to the conference is: https://www.facebook.com/westportct....8487076467617/

Mr. Marpe stated that there may be residents who develop flu-like symptoms, others will have no symptoms at all. If you feel very sick, seek medical attention.

Westport Public Schools are closed until further notice. To eliminate the possibility of additional transmission, the Town Hall and the Westport Parks & Recreation Department will be closed to the public tomorrow (Thursday) and Friday. As was reported earlier, the Westport Center for Senior Activities is closed until further notice. The Library will be closed as well.

We will use that time to meet with staff and discuss how to reduce health risks. We will be canceling municipal public events, including municipal public meetings for the foreseeable future.

In an abundance of caution, all facility usage permits provided by the Westport Parks and Recreation Department have been suspended. To minimize the possibility of spread through our public facilities, restrooms at the Compo Beach Marina and the Longshore Pavilion will be closed until further notice.

For information on other community organizations, please go directly to those organizations’ websites.

As further details become available, we will make every effort to announce them to the public.

A reminder - follow these best practices to prevent the spread of COVID-19:

Cover your mouth when you sneeze or cough. Cough or sneeze into your sleeve, not your hand.
Wash your hands frequently. While hand sanitizer may be effective, vigorous handwashing using regular soap is best.
Stay home if you are feeling unwell.
The Westport emergency notification system is a text message-based alert system run by the Fire Department.Any resident not already signed up for these notifications can text 06880 to 888777 to subscribe.
The Town webpage dedicated to COVID-19 can be found at Westportct.gov/COVID19.
The hashtag #WestportctCOVID-19info will be used for updated information on the Town’s Facebook, Instagram and Twitter social media accounts.This will also be utilized by the Fire, Police and Parks Departments.
To follow the Town’s press release coverage, please go to WestportCT.Gov/subscribe and select “town news.”
Other websites that will have the best up-to-date information CDC www.CDC.gov, the State of Connecticut’s Coronavirus webpage and the Westport Weston Health District.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:49 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXtwindad View Post
Remote training is probably the wave of the near future.

Many people I care for have opted for elbow bumps. That seems really cold, but I guess it's the new reality.
i dont think either one of those things is going to be adopted long term. once we get this thing in check, however long that takes, we should go back to normal.

personally, the whole reason i go to the gym is because my house is too small to have some of the equipment i want to use regularly, and i want to get away from my home responsibilities for an hour or two and tune life out to work out.

that said, yes, i'm avoiding the gym for a while, they seem like a hotbed for spreading this kind of stuff.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiamme red View Post
Flights now are really cheap. I'm thinking of buying a $145 round-trip ticket from NYC to Toronto to visit my sister next weekend. Bad idea?
Folks are still flying from RDU to Toronto and back. Report from this morning is that Pearson is pretty empty. Next week?

Sitting home with my kid today, trying to work remotely.

My wife went to work.

We have a High School kid who has 2 parents who are both positive.
Kid is also sick, and went to school for days while most likely contagious.

The Superintendent who has already given notice to retire closed the High School but not the other schools while they track down said students contacts. I'm very uncomfortable with it due to the # of families that have children in more than one school.

Friday is already a day off for our schools.. and my son was getting dismissed early for a doctor's appointment anyway so I kept him home.

Impossible to go for a bike ride home with him I guess, maybe I'll take him on one tomorrow if there is a lull in my work. I'm not worried about being out alone outside.

Angry thanks for putting this one out there.

Here's a snag from our local C.C. which is associated with the SUNY system. They like the SUNY campus' are going to be going to an online class format. The issue is that unlike the 4 year campus a good number of these students don't have computers that they can use for the online classes.
Administrator

Quote:
that said, yes, i'm avoiding the gym for a while, they seem like a hotbed for spreading this kind of stuff.
There is a gym in the area that specializes on using the Concept2 ergometer for training. It's an awesome piece of equipment that I've used almost daily since my rowing days in college. I also know when you are doing intervals or pulling hard pieces stuff tends to fly when you are breathing hard. Not a place I would want to be hanging out in right now.

W.
Old 03-12-2020, 10:58 AM
Rock Hard ~ Ride Free

Lightbulb

Handshakes can certainly be retired forever for all I care.
The gracious method used by the Thai is endearing and sincere.
Own palms pressed together and accompanied by a slight nod.
Old 03-12-2020, 11:01 AM

Thanks, I am sure being a moderator is a thankless job that requires a lot of time and effort. I appreciate the great job that all the moderators do for the forum.
Closed Thread