Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 01-21-2020, 06:56 PM
Administrator

RGT Cycling?

Anyone using this? Just tried searching and i didnt come up with anything.

It appeals to me, as there are probably a small handfull of days a winter that i want to spin out some trainer time, and i've given up my zwift and rouvy acct since i barely ever used them, and this has a free portion so at least i wont feel guilty about paying for a monthly service i never use?

thoughts, it looks pretty good...

https://www.rgtcycling.com
Old 01-21-2020, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Ahh, didnt even think to check - also a DC Rainmaker post about it here:

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/05/...ompetitor.html
Old 01-27-2020, 08:13 PM

I started using it a couple of weeks ago. I typically do TrainerRoad but I liked switching it up a bit. Not a ton of riders out when I am riding but I don’t really care either way. I really feel like I get a good workout on some of those courses, more so than TrainerRoad because it really mimics outdoor riding.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:54 PM

Tread resurrection:

I just tried it for the first time this week. I like that they have real world routes that's pretty cool and you can get away with a lot of stuff for free. They have racing but I looked at the roster tonight and only 8 people are signed up.

The physics seem to work really well. They claim the graphics are better then Zwift and while I agree with that it's not a deal breaker. It's not that much better.

The only thing I don't like about it is there is no sound. Sound would account for a lot more in terms of an immersive experience. And I don't mean like dorky Zwift game sounds but you know birds chirping, water flowing, tires on the road etc...

Otherwise it's not bad at all and it certainly is not crowded.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:06 PM

it's probably what you are looking for...

For what you are looking for - the occasional trainer session - it is just about perfect. That is what I use it for. When you really can't go and ride outside; or if you want a little distraction rather than just do Trainerroad style workouts.

It's free. it works. the scenery is pleasant enough. the coasting, drafting, etc are pretty good. It uploads automatically to Strava/trainingpeaks/etc if you are into that.

I actually quite like not having too many riders on the circuits.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:08 PM
Administrator

hey thanks, good feedback.

i'm also looking into tacx's own training app, which on the surface looks like it might have some potential for the occasional hack like myself.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:30 PM

Before I tried RGT, I hated to ride indoors. With RGT, I am motivated to ride much longer and harder. I actually enjoy it and am now tempted to buy a smart trainer.

I started using it a few weeks ago and have done a several races and group rides per week. There is a learning curve, and I needed to do a "drafting clinic" to hone my technique. There are a couple Facebook groups where questions, rides, and races are posted. (Personally, I wish they had a forum like vBulletin.)

The free version is fully functional, except it lacks the ability to create courses and select certain RGT courses. However, there are many group rides and races that take place on a huge variety of courses.

I haven't tried Zwift, but a common analogy I hear is "Zwift is like a video game and RGT is like a simulator". Zwift definitely has the advantage of number of riders, but RGT is growing and improving. Today, I rode in a weekly race series put on by a Slovenian club. We had ninety riders; each week the numbers increase.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:32 PM

Yeah I like the fact that there are not so many people there except for the racing. A field of at least 50 would be nice and in groups of ABC too. It might catch on though and I don't see why it would not. The events are free too. OF course if it really caught on I'd probably subscribe to it becasue then you can hold your own events and upload your own roads which I think is very cool.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:49 AM

I have a 1st Gen Kicker and I have used the Wahoo app to control the kickr in ERG mode. In the past I have used Zwift and that would also use ERG mode to change resistance. My kickr has the original 10 speed cassette and my bike is 11 speed so I usually just set the chain on a cog where things work without any drag on the front derailleur.

I downloaded the screen and phone app for RGT and it looks as if you have to change gears to change resistance. Is that correct?i

I'm also having some issues with getting the screen and phone app to connect: sometimes when I execute the screen app it asks for a PIN number, but the phone app does not give me an option to enter the pin, but the screen app shows via the green screen in the upper left corder that it is connected.

I'll go to the Facebook group to ask some questions about this, but I spent about 90 minutes trying to get things to work and experienced some frustration.

I'm going to try SUfferfest today and see if it is more here friendly.

Manually controlling the Kickr and watching GCN or other videos is ok, but I'm look for a more engaging app that will change the kickr in ERG mode to match the terrain.
Old 12-05-2020, 07:56 AM

BTW you can do 25k per month for free on Zwift, not much but for once in a very long while its something to keep in mind.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trener1 View Post
BTW you can do 25k per month for free on Zwift, not much but for once in a very long while its something to keep in mind.
And if you stop your ride before 25K, then join a group event on another day, it will let you finish that group event despite being out of free miles. So basically 2 rides per month free.

(I also agree Zwift is far too expensive for casual use, when it went from $10 to $15 I only subbed during the wettest/darkest months.)

I have not tried the latest RGT (68 and sunny today!) - but it was a bit lonely in beta mode.
Old 12-05-2020, 09:23 PM

I tried RGT and thought it was pretty good. But the problem is that I have to run it from a PC . I can run zwift from my Android phone and I can use the TV to...watch TV while riding.
Old 12-05-2020, 10:20 PM

I've been intrigued by rgt as well as I toy with giving up zwift. I'm much more into sufferfest at this time to the point where I'm beta testing stuff for them.

I've always had a lighthearted approach to training (it's just bike racing!) so I feel like sufferfest fits my personality.

I usually have sufferfest controlling my kickr going on the mini player while using zwift at the same time connected to my crank based power meter. For all the alliance of zwift, I find it really helpful for pacing longer efforts and benchmarking progress if you're using the same powermeter. It does help extend the time I can train indoors I guess.

That said, my setup is :
1) for sufferfest workout
- sufferfest on my surface, with zwift, and sometimes with something on the TV behind it.
2) for just zwift
- zwift on surface, show on tv

Makes the time go faster if I'm watching TV or a movie.
Old 12-06-2020, 07:04 AM
3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxbailey View Post
I tried RGT and thought it was pretty good. But the problem is that I have to run it from a PC . I can run zwift from my Android phone and I can use the TV to...watch TV while riding.

I’ve used RGTCYCLING on windows with iPhone and Mac with iPhone and AppleTv with iPhone and they all work well with just a powermeter.

Early this year they made the premium membership free when COVID first hit the US. You could upload your gpx route that you like and host rides etc..
I like it because it’s not gimmicky which to a lot of people boring. I thought the graphics were better than zwift and the interface was intuitive to get started without having to get through I did have a problem with connecting to my pm and the support was great. I mean they responded quicker than I expected for non premium user. After multiple support messages it was my pm connection with ants vs Bluetooth etc..
Old 12-06-2020, 01:26 PM

Just isn't working for me. There is some issue in my setup (AppleTV and iPhone SE) where either the Screen App keeps displaying a PIN number when the Phone App shows it is connected (green screen) or when I do get them to connect by deleting and reinstalling the apps then the ride options do not appear, there is just a "loading" message. Seems that it works fine for most folks, just not for me for some reason and there are options so I am moving on.