Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-21-2006, 03:22 PM

sachs cross bike cable setup

So, I have received the beautiful sachs cross frameset from dbrk and am really looking forward to getting it built and rolling. But I have some questions on cable setup. The cables run on the top tube. I will be setting the bike up Campy 10 with chorus brifters, a centaur short reach rear drlr, and paul brakes. What cable and housing do you all recommend? I usually run campy but I don't think that a stock front drlr setup is long enough. And, what type of cable adjustor rigging is the hot setup? Should I use inline adjusters? If so, what types work the best? Thanks all.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:07 PM

send me an email and I will send you a photo of the bike as DBRK had it when it worked beautifully. We could ask him but I think he's off to India for 3 weeks or so.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:09 PM

email sent
Old 12-21-2006, 05:35 PM

Shoot, just post it here. It never hurts to have photos of hot CX bikes in the archive!

Old 12-21-2006, 05:38 PM
biker

Visit atmo's home page and yahoo website. Many pictures there show how he sets up cross bikes.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:57 PM

The Serotta cross bike I built up a couple of days ago has the triple cable guides on the side of the top tube, not the top, and I guess you have a couple of cm extra tt length (I have 55), but I used a stock campagnolo cable set with centaur brifters and fd and there was no problem at all with the routing (along the top tube, over the back of the seat tube, around the roller thingie, and then up to the front changer). I'm not sure, but I bet it would work for you too.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:21 PM

stolen from the NATZ pix over in gatherings...
Old 12-21-2006, 07:25 PM
Vendor

Here is how I set up a cross bike with top tube routing.

Starting from the left slot on the front triple stop, I do brake, rear derailleur, front derailleur. I then cross the derailleur cables along the top tube. They exit brake (left), front derailleur (middle), rear deraileur (right). I route the front derailleur housing between the seat stays.

I usually use Campy cables, but sometimes use Dry Cables (www.drycables.com). Wih Campy cables, I usually do have to use another bit of derailleur housing for the two segments at the seat cluster. There usually isn't enough derailleur housing in the kit to do the job. But any good housing will do.

Oh yeah, pictures please ...
Old 12-21-2006, 08:50 PM

Thanks for all the tips. I'm going to work on the build this weekend and see how far I get.

Chris
Old 12-21-2006, 08:59 PM
Hysbrian

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/bobbesrs...60762315866602

There are good pictures here of the 06 team issue bike. should help you out.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:15 PM
Vendor

one clarification. I run the rear brake and rear derailleur housings on the left side of the head tube and the front derailleur housing on the right. You can see the derailleur cables just starting to cross towards the middle of the top tube.

Like this...