Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 06-12-2019, 05:57 PM

OT - whole-house water filters

My cabin has well water, and it is cloudy. I'm thinking that using two 4.5x 10 filters in series would work for my needs. We don't live there continuously, basically on weekends.

I'm thinking a 40-micron sediment filter would be first in line, followed by a 5 micron charcoal filter.

There are two bathrooms, one has a shower, the other has a bathtub. Rarely would both be used at the same time. No dishwasher (except me).

Words of wisdom?
Old 06-12-2019, 06:42 PM

What are you drinking?
Has it been tested for bacterial or other organic contaminants?
Old 06-12-2019, 06:59 PM

just spent the last 15 years working at a state regulatory agency's public drinking water section.

first thing to do is have the water tested for bacterial content. initially the lab will perform an inexpensive (~$25) test for total coliform bacteria (a common and harmless organism). if they are detected, they will then do a second test for E. coli which can cause serious illnesses.

having your water tested for 'everything' will likely cost you a couple thousand dollars and unless you're capable of interpreting the analytical results, will be of dubious value.

check for the presence of microbiologicals which can cause immediate and acute symptoms. things like heavy metals and organics can take decades to induce an effect.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:52 PM

I've ordered water test kits from the Indiana state dept of health. When I'm up there next time, I'll take samples and probably drive them to the lab in Indianapolis as they need to be tested within a window of time from when the samples are taken and Indy is only an hour away.

Once I have the test results, I'll know if the cloudy water can be safely treated with a filter system or if more needs to be done to make it safe to drink.

Right now, we bring gallon jugs of water from home for coffee and washing up and brushing teeth. Sure would be nice to have good running water.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:49 PM
Riding Along

Consider two 2micron filters in parallel to avoid a serous drop in water flow rates. A carbon filter is really only needed if you have taste issues.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:33 PM

We have well water and a treatment system for acidity. I have the water checked once a year, when the company recharges the treatment container.

Separately I have a 3M water filter under the kitchen counter, treating the cold water. This is where we get 99% of our drinking water. No need to filter the water going to showers, toilets, etc, at least in our case, and I haven't caught the dog drinking from the toilet yet. Of course he's a little guy, so he probably can't.
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 06-12-2019, 11:42 PM
Boeuf Chaîne

I have a well and just buy bottled water - just a few gallons a week. It's simpler than trying to mess with water quality issues.

The previous owners had a Culligan filter with a spigot at the kitchen sink and a line running to the ice-maker, but I don't bother with that.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:53 AM

Bringing water is a nuisance, but coffee in the morning isn't negotiable. Washing up, brushing teeth, etc. is a pain. The water use is so small that a whole house filter is a better choice than a separate filter at the kitchen sink. Realistically would need one in the bathroom, so rather than maintain two sets of filters a single set would be a better choice.

Hopefully the test results will be OK, and I can just add filter(s) between the pump outlet and the pressure tank to clean it up.
Old 06-13-2019, 08:08 AM

FWIW. I used to work for this company (I hold several design patents) Kinetico in Ohio. Non electric water softener, which is ideal for rural areas and meters upon water use. All made and assemble in their Ohio facility. Pricey, but will outlast any electric style softeners. They also offer free water quality test.
Old 08-07-2019, 08:38 AM

I took water samples to the Indiana Department of Health lab in Indianapolis. The first bacterial test showed coliform bacteria, but the nitrate/nitrite test results were very good (result <0.1 - over 10.0 is not good).

I disinfected the well and plumbing with chlorine, let it set overnight, then flushed it out. Took another sample a week later, and it came back clean.

So we have good clean water at the cabin.

How often should I have a sample tested? Probably won't do the nitrate test again, but the bacteria test should probably be repeated. How often makes sense?
Old 08-07-2019, 10:04 AM

Since you have well water may we assume a septic system too? How close are the leach lines to the well. We all know what flows downhill. :-)
Old 08-07-2019, 10:17 AM

Yes, well and septic. The leach field is between 100 and 150 feet of the well, downhill from the well.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedevil View Post
I took water samples to the Indiana Department of Health lab in Indianapolis. The first bacterial test showed coliform bacteria, but the nitrate/nitrite test results were very good (result <0.1 - over 10.0 is not good).

I disinfected the well and plumbing with chlorine, let it set overnight, then flushed it out. Took another sample a week later, and it came back clean.

So we have good clean water at the cabin.

How often should I have a sample tested? Probably won't do the nitrate test again, but the bacteria test should probably be repeated. How often makes sense?
CDC says a yearly test would be best practice--I know that I don't.
https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/dri...s/testing.html

Your plan of serial filters works just fine--get Big Blue canisters, and they will flow enough for all but the largest houses/multiple simultaneous draws. I too use the gross filter, followed by the carbon block style.

If the coliform is recurring, it is easy enough to wire in a UV light to sterilize--this is what we have done. Sterelite or Sterilight brand--they are not terribly expensive, and they need the lamp changed yearly. You would place it between the two filters ideally.
Old 08-07-2019, 02:54 PM

If you're in limestone terrain (or even if you're not), you may just simply have suspended CaCO3 particles. Maybe drop a little vinegar in there to see if that clears it up and report back if it does...
Old 08-07-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedevil View Post
Yes, well and septic. The leach field is between 100 and 150 feet of the well, downhill from the well.
Good planning!