Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-01-2019, 08:57 AM
PegoNagos

Seasoning a steel frame?

A friend asked me this morning if I had seasoned my Pegoretti when I got it and I had no idea what he was talking about. Apparently it protects the inside of the tubes from rust. Google showed me this:

https://www.jensonusa.com/ProGold-St...SABEgJAgvD_BwE

Is this something that I should be doing for my Peg?
Old 02-01-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post
A friend asked me this morning if I had seasoned my Pegoretti when I got it and I had no idea what he was talking about. Apparently it protects the inside of the tubes from rust. Google showed me this:

Yes. I would. It doesn't hurt and leaves a nice, crayon smell behind. Essentially, all that you're doing is spraying it into the tubes and rotating the frame around a bit to ensure that it gets a nice coating on the inside of the tubes.

Texbike
Old 02-01-2019, 08:59 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by pritchet74 View Post

Or this..rust inhibitor..good idea
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61qm3Zqks-L._SY355_.jpg (6.2 KB, 641 views)
Old 02-01-2019, 09:18 AM
Descent fitness

As one who has been using linseed oil for this purpose for many years, is there any advantage to using a spray product? I have never liked the original Framesaver’s rust color. Just seemed wrong to me.
FWIW, I use a rag soaked in linseed oil and ramrod it through the head tube and seat tube. I also wipe it around the bottom bracket, and as far up the down tube as my finger can carry it. Same with the chainstays.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:35 AM
Administrator

yes, a good steel frame that uses relatively thin tubing should absolutely be protected on the inside of the tubes with some type of rust inhibitor. there are many effective sprays available, and i generally use something picked up at a marine hardware store that is meant to protect steel in a marine environment. lots of products available, and they all seem to work quite well.

the other thing that is important IMO, and not all frame makers do it, is make sure the bottom bracket is drilled to drain any moisture that winds up in the tubes. if you ride in the wet at all, some moisture will eventually get in there, generally through the seatpost.

bear in mind that many frame makers will treat the inside of the tubes with some type of corrosion inhibitor before the sell the thing. chase the threads, face the faces and spray the tubes. good practice that the guys with attention to detail just do.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:38 AM
aka RAEKWON

I JP Weigle Frame Saver all my steel bikes.

Be careful with that stuff though, its toxic so always do it outside and be-careful spraying it into small holes because it can spray out. If it falls on the paint wipe it out immediately.

But its cheap protection
Old 02-01-2019, 09:38 AM

I would do it. Fairwheel Bikes in Tucson (where rust isn't a problem) even recommended it to me.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:40 AM
hoolered

Speaking from experience the frame saver application process can be messy. It's waxy, oily, smells like an old ass unscented candle, and can run and drip everywhere. If you want to do it right, strip the frame so it can run out of openings/vents and you can move and articulate the frame so it goes into nooks and crannies.
I applied it to the frame with components installed and it dripped on to bar tape, levers, hubs, brake surface, etc. I spent more time attempting to clean it off than removing parts.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:42 AM
aka RAEKWON

oh yeah, I def don't recommend doing it with all your crap still attached to the bike. Thats why you want to do it when you get the frame. That stuff drips everywhere and its nasty stuff.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:49 AM
Registered (ab)User

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3awak3n View Post
always do it outside and be-careful spraying it into small holes because it can spray out. If it falls on the paint wipe it out immediately.
Also if it falls on the sidewalk wipe it up immediately, unless you like being reminded of your work every time you pass that spot. There's a corner of our building where I conspicuously FramSaver'd my bike four years ago!
Old 02-01-2019, 09:55 AM

I tried boiled linseed oil once and it was very messy. I used Boeshield T9 spray now; probably not as long lasting but easy enough to reapply every 2-3 years if needed.

That being said, I have a received a few 30 year old plus frames that were probably never treated and they are fine. Definitely do it if you plan on foul weather riding on a regular basis; otherwise don’t lose sleep over it and get it done at an opportune time in the next couple of years.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:00 AM
Everything is connected

I’ve used Fluid Film with good success and most auto parts store carry it.

https://www.fluid-film.com
Old 02-01-2019, 10:58 AM

You'd think a quality builder like Pegoretti would do this and spare the purchaser the bother, just as they wouldn't dream of not painting the outside.

At the risk of hijacking the thread, does anyone know any builders who routinely ship their steel frames with rust inhibitor already applied to the inside?
Old 02-01-2019, 11:19 AM
Randomhead

I would be surprised if anyone did. Maybe Mr. Weigle
Old 02-01-2019, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgauthier View Post
You'd think a quality builder like Pegoretti would do this and spare the purchaser the bother, just as they wouldn't dream of not painting the outside.

At the risk of hijacking the thread, does anyone know any builders who routinely ship their steel frames with rust inhibitor already applied to the inside?
I know some of the QBP brands are starting to do it. All-City ED coats the frames as a primer and rust inhibitor. I'm sure many offer it as an option. Waterford/Gunnar does.

I've been doing it since my first Ritchey rusted out in 1995. I re-apply every few years.

Framesaver

Also, the last shop I worked with does it to every steel frame and fork it sells as part of the full pro. prep before building.