Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2019, 06:36 AM
Administrator

OT: How is the Gov't Shutdown effecting you?

NOT meant as a political thread, as I dont want to hear about what we think about the cause for, or the politics behind the shutdown.

Curious how, or if this lengthy shutdown is effecting the lives of our members.

I understand, for example that volunteer groups have banded together to remove trash, or at least contain it in the big natnl parks. I also understand they are mostly open, but not collecting entrance fees and barely staffed, if at all. It's no secret that I am a huge fan of America's national park system - and also curious if anyone is seeing any real damage done with hoards of people visiting with little or no ranger oversight?

I plan to visit Yosemite next week and see for myself what's happening.

What about air travel? TSA, ATC not getting paid - is this causing unusual delays at the airports?

What else in the real world is effecting the lives of paceliners right now? Maybe some of us work for the govt and are worried about the next paycheck?

again, please no political commentary, just front line shutdown notes...
Old 01-10-2019, 06:56 AM

My favorite mead maker can't get the approvals for his new brews...

THAT chaps my ass.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:06 AM

I have friends and family out of work. It's really awful.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:07 AM

Drove to Durango over the holidays and had planned on a midpoint stop at the petrified forest. It was gated and closed due to the shutdown.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:09 AM
Proud Grandpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScientist View Post
NOT meant as a political thread, as I dont want to hear about what we think about the cause for, or the politics behind the shutdown.

Curious how, or if this lengthy shutdown is effecting the lives of our members.

I understand, for example that volunteer groups have banded together to remove trash, or at least contain it in the big natnl parks. I also understand they are mostly open, but not collecting entrance fees and barely staffed, if at all. It's no secret that I am a huge fan of America's national park system - and also curious if anyone is seeing any real damage done with hoards of people visiting with little or no ranger oversight?

I plan to visit Yosemite next week and see for myself what's happening.

What about air travel? TSA, ATC not getting paid - is this causing unusual delays at the airports?

What else in the real world is effecting the lives of paceliners right now? Maybe some of us work for the govt and are worried about the next paycheck?

again, please no political commentary, just front line shutdown notes...
Son is an asst branch manager in a bank..Often needs to call Feds for things..nobody home. BOTH look forward to a tax refund...that's in jeopardy.

Other son works for city of Denver..he's way glad he works for a local government that doesn't play these games.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Likes2ridefar View Post
Drove to Durango over the holidays and had planned on a midpoint stop at the petrified forest. It was gated and closed due to the shutdown.
that's interesting. it seems hit or miss which national parks are open and which are just gated and closed. this is the note on the front page of the nps website:

Quote:
Government Shutdown
During the federal government shutdown, this website will not be updated and may not reflect current conditions. Some national parks may remain accessible to visitors; however, access may change without notice. Some parks are closed completely. Some visitor services may be available when provided by concessioners or other entities. For most parks, there will be no National Park Service-provided visitor services, such as restrooms, trash collection, facilities, or road maintenance. For more information, see www.doi.gov/shutdown and the park website.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:13 AM

Wondering about upcoming flight ?

I’m beginning to worry about an upcoming trip. I bet things won’t be too bad going out yet.... but will I get back? Sounds like the risk factor is going up a lot. Anyone have thoughts?
Old 01-10-2019, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572cv View Post
I’m beginning to worry about an upcoming trip. I bet things won’t be too bad going out yet.... but will I get back? Sounds like the risk factor is going up a lot. Anyone have thoughts?
Me too, I’m flying on Sunday and returning the following Friday.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572cv View Post
yup, same concerns here. i'm flying corss country next week and wondering if i'll get back OK if this keeps pushing on. How long without paychecks before TSA and ATC workers start to quit or revolt?
Old 01-10-2019, 07:25 AM

I am furloughed so its an unpaid vacation ya-me
Old 01-10-2019, 07:26 AM

Im out. I'll be back-paid, and no financial burden because of savings (I fortunately do not have to take up pet-sitting as recommended.....). I'm in the middle of doing a refi on the house which cannot proceed, which is dumb. However, there is a program at work where they hire these developmentally disabled folks to do custodial work. These are some of the hardest-working and most earnest people I have ever worked with, and as sub-contractors, they will very likely not be back-paid. I have to admit that this really pisses me off...

Personally, my guess is an Emergency Action that will end it by Monday.

Last edited by OtayBW; 01-10-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:29 AM

My son's indoor (High school) track meets at West Point have been cancelled to date this season. Not as nerve wracking as TSA concerns, but a PITA nonetheless.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:33 AM
Administrator

^^^

this is interesting, so for federal employees, you fall into three categories then?

1) not working, will not get back pay
2) not working, will get back pay
3) forced to work without pay, but will get back pay

i didnt realize that there was a category (2).
Old 01-10-2019, 07:36 AM

There are still trees down across the Blue Ridge Parkway although these date from a storm a couple of weeks before the shutdown. Clearly some budget issues even before this. Hasn’t affected me personally yet since it’s about 10 degrees colder up there and I’ve been riding in the lower elevations.
Old 01-10-2019, 07:38 AM

^^ As a rule, full-time feds get back-pay. Sub-contractors do not. And then those who are 'excepted' from furlough but must work, as you say.

Last edited by OtayBW; 01-10-2019 at 07:48 AM.
Closed Thread