Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2018, 02:27 PM

OT: Sharing Confidential Info

On a 'Application to Rent' ... they are asking for a lot personal info. Makes sense if they want to check credit but it seems risky to give all the important info a identity thief would love to have;
- driver's license#
- social security number
- date of birth
- address
- bank info

What is to stop a person at a property management company to collect a bunch of applications/personal info and pass along to identity thieves?

Is there another way to satisfy the owner/manager's concerns?
Old 12-17-2018, 02:29 PM

If you don't feel comfortable sharing that info, time to continue on with the apartment hunt.
Old 12-17-2018, 02:32 PM

All they really need to run a credit/background check is your license number, or your name/DOB.

Push back on the rest...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 12-17-2018, 02:45 PM

I have a couple rental houses, and all the readily available boiler plate rental application forms have spaces for that info. I'm not sure why, as I have no interest in that stuff as a landlord.

I tell my prospective tenants that I don't need it, just fill out what you want, if something important is missing i'll contact you to fill it in.
Old 12-17-2018, 03:03 PM
I need you cool.

They are most likely running a credit check....they want to make sure you pay your bills.

Ask for their data security/privacy policy in writing....
Old 12-17-2018, 03:48 PM

We usually ask for this information.....except for the bank info. They shouldn't need that.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:32 PM

I had someone ask for bank account numbers and balances as well as credit card numbers. I told them I was willing to provide my SSN, but the rest of the information wasn't something that they truly needed to run my credit. When they insisted, I moved on to a different offering because I did wasn't comfortable with sharing all of that.
Old 12-17-2018, 04:56 PM

At least they aren't asking you how wide the tires are on your 650B conversion. That would be a bridge too far.

My wife rents out one of the units in the three-flat we own. I'm not privy to (or interested in) all the details, but I'm kinda sure she didn't ask for all that stuff.
Old 12-17-2018, 05:57 PM

There's nothing to stop them from misusing your information. Trust no one. But that's the system.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:44 PM

Credit Karma and FICO are your friends. Just print out a copy of your scores from those sites and a bank statement with the acct numbers redacted and you are good to go. Maybe get a reference from a previous landlord as well...No one needs any of that other information.
Old 12-17-2018, 06:56 PM

Pay attention to who you give this information to. Unless you are face to face with the other person in the actual rental office, do some work to verify who you are communicating with. This can be an identity theft scam.

Had kids in CA who almost got caught up in one that offered a super low price on a nice house to rent. Turned out the “landlord” didn’t own the property and was just running a scam.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:29 PM

If you rent, your one opportunity to get a solid tenant is in the application process. I’m not saying all of these questions have to be asked, but enough should so that there is due diligence. We rent a couple of apartments in an old house and care that people get along and are respectful of the place. You have to do what you have to do, is all. If a tenant isn’t comfortable with the questions, they move on, which is ok. I never want to find ammunition in the baseboard heat again.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:33 PM

I don't give out the SSN. Noope.
Old 12-17-2018, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 572cv View Post
If you rent, your one opportunity to get a solid tenant is in the application process. I’m not saying all of these questions have to be asked, but enough should so that there is due diligence. We rent a couple of apartments in an old house and care that people get along and are respectful of the place. You have to do what you have to do, is all. If a tenant isn’t comfortable with the questions, they move on, which is ok. I never want to find ammunition in the baseboard heat again.
This is 100% true, which is why I spend a decent amount of time speaking with my tenants at length before we ever get to documents. Phone is ok, in person is better. And i put a lot more stock into what their previous landlord has to say than a credit score.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by campy man View Post
On a 'Application to Rent' ... they are asking for a lot personal info. Makes sense if they want to check credit but it seems risky to give all the important info a identity thief would love to have;
- driver's license#
- social security number
- date of birth
- address
- bank info

What is to stop a person at a property management company to collect a bunch of applications/personal info and pass along to identity thieves?

Is there another way to satisfy the owner/manager's concerns?
Pretty standard.

I did it for 10 years. I'd like to think you would be happy to know that management did this for everyone in your building/community including your next door neighbors. If you have nothing to hide don't sweat it.

No bank info need unless direct deposit and that can be done without giving management your info directly.

My 2 cents