Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-05-2018, 02:30 PM

Cycliq - opinions?

Yes I know that this has been asked a bunch of times but nothing in the last 6 months or so.

So, after some a$$hole tried to coal roll me and a buddy on Sunday, I thought it was time to look into these.

Are the cameras still the best? Other options?

Discount codes anywhere?

Thanks.
Old 09-05-2018, 02:56 PM
Shifty Member

Don't have experience with the front ones, but have used the rear ones for a while now. Good camera, but more of a who killed me cam (have a gen2 for sale in the classifieds).

I know the front has a bit more functionality, but are still more of an incident cam than say a gopro.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:13 PM

I have the Fly 12 CE and Fly 6 C. I like the concept, and loved my old Fly 6, but have been underwhelmed by the new ones. They work now, but the connectivity is a joke, and if you keep them connected to a Garmin, battery life is awful. I use my iPhone to change settings, and then manually turn them on and off and don’t connect to my Garmin. I needed to turn off the “idle” function, which turned off the unit after a period of inactivity, because I’d get home and find the rear light and camera off. Read the comments on the DCRainmaker site (https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/11/...irst-look.html). I’ll be curious to see what Ray does with his full review.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:35 PM

Cycliq

I have the new Fly 6 and Fly 12 for about one month now. I find they work really well and take very good video (and audio).

I run them manually, turning them on and off and do not tie them to my phone or any other device (I only have a phone).

I highly recommend the Fly 6 and 12, great products, easy to use.

I bought them after nearly being hit twice, more for the Police and my family to ensure justice was done if I were a victim of a hit and run or a bad crash.

Patrick
Old 09-05-2018, 03:45 PM

I'm just popping in this thread to watch it. I've been thinking about this for a long time now.....
Old 09-05-2018, 04:31 PM

I have the first generation rear light.

Pros:
The camera is pretty good.
It makes my wife feel better when I use it.
I really like the functionality of the light.
It goes on and off easily.

Cons:
It's at least double the weight of a non camera rear light.
I have to charge it after every long ride or after two or so medium rides.
I have to take it on and off anytime I stop; to charge at home, or to not get swiped at most cafe stops.

I don't know if I'd buy it, but I'm totally happy to use it after my wife got it as a gift for me.
Old 09-05-2018, 04:57 PM

Had the original 6 and it stopped working after less than a year of use. Customer service was no help and in my opinion didn’t stand by the product. As much as I would like to have another I refuse to purchase from the company even though 2nd Gen may have work out issues. Good luck.
Merlin
CYFAC
Old 09-05-2018, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheight1 View Post
Had the original 6 and it stopped working after less than a year of use. Customer service was no help and in my opinion didn’t stand by the product. As much as I would like to have another I refuse to purchase from the company even though 2nd Gen may have work out issues. Good luck.
fwiw, the original iteration of the company no longer exists - it was essentially bought out and went public in Australia.

There's really nothing else like them on the market. After having been nailed more than a few times, and once as an intentional hit-and-run, mine permanently live on my bike. I'll take the extra few grams, inconvenience of charging every ride, and small wallet hit for the peace of mind. The Barfly makes the front setup pretty clean, and the rear is discrete.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:46 PM

I have 2nd Gen Fly 6 and I think 1st gen Fly 12. Both are the last versions before the wireless connected ones. Video quality is better on the Fly 12, but good enough for legal/identification purposes on both. The Fly 6 records in some format that requires a seperate (free) software download for playback. The Fly 12 records MP4.

I have been happy with these and would buy again. I get about 5-6 hours recording time from each. Owned the Fly 6 for over a year, Fly 12 since late last year. Every once in a while I’ll use a video for something but usually it’s just loop recording- charge, mount, turn on, forget. I used a Garmin Virb Elite before the Fly 12 and it is a better camera with cool features but it is more labor intensive to use and at best 3 hr battery life, best battery life on non Cycliq camera I could find at the time.

The Fly 6 mounts to the seat post, so if you use anything other than a tiny seat bag you might have a problem. Most of my bikes are older with non wishbone seat stays, so I mount it on the seat tube peeking out above the brake. I use a $2 Go Pro Mount for each of my bikes to easily switch the Fly 12 between bikes.

Here’s a pic showing set up on one of my bikes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2E012C94-2866-47A3-92B6-8B5451DCC78A.jpg (139.0 KB, 168 views)

Last edited by Spaghetti Legs; 09-05-2018 at 08:49 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 08:57 PM

just got Fly 6ce, the latest. Via club buy discount.

the video capture seems to be very good. I run short seat posts and a small saddle bag, so not much room to mount on the post and under the bag. This ain't a just a blinky and needs to mounted in a stable position. So how/where to mount? The mounting pieces seem not well thought out. Hard plastic 1/8 turn female part with both softish spacers for against one side of the post and velcro straps with a sticky side right against the post. On my first ride the sticky stuff peeled off the strap so no longer have that to stabilize against the post. Today I just pulled the velcro tighter against the rubber spacer and around the post.

The online support materials leave much to be desired.

Think I might prefer to use my usual blinky and have the video unit all by itself.

I think their video engineering is moving fast and they may need to work harder on rear mounting hardware options. Also, engineering moving faster than web based support materials.

All in all the Fly6 performs as expected.

And all in all not sure of the percentages of it ever being of value. But maybe any percentage is better than some sh*t hole getting away with hurting me or you. Maybe Cycliq should have a registry where you leave a contact for giving the unit to if bad stuff happens out there on the road. Then your contact person can go after the bad guy.

I am going to buy one of these to see if it makes it easier to mount and to use on more than one bike:

Minoura SGS-300S 100mm Silver Space Grip Bicycle Light Computer Holder Road Bike.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291128243307

Last edited by eddief; 09-05-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-05-2018, 09:31 PM

I have a Fly6, not sure but think 2nd gen, and it's not good enough to read the license plate of a vehicle passing me. Are there more recent versions that have this capability?
Old 09-06-2018, 12:02 AM

I have the 12CE and 6CE. I get about almost 4 hours battery life with minimum flashing on the 6CE but have gotten 5 hours with the 12CE pulsed light setting. Both do support an external battery but that’s more junk to lug around. I got better battery life with the original Cycliq 6 but the video quality was noticeably inferior to the 6CE. Suggest purchasing from Amazon so it’s easier to return.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 09-06-2018, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddief View Post
the video capture seems to be very good. I run short seat posts and a small saddle bag, so not much room to mount on the post and under the bag. This ain't a just a blinky and needs to mounted in a stable position. So how/where to mount? The mounting pieces seem not well thought out. Hard plastic 1/8 turn female part with both softish spacers for against one side of the post and velcro straps with a sticky side right against the post. On my first ride the sticky stuff peeled off the strap so no longer have that to stabilize against the post. Today I just pulled the velcro tighter against the rubber spacer and around the post.

The online support materials leave much to be desired.

Think I might prefer to use my usual blinky and have the video unit all by itself.

I think their video engineering is moving fast and they may need to work harder on rear mounting hardware options. Also, engineering moving faster than web based support materials.

All in all the Fly6 performs as expected.

And all in all not sure of the percentages of it ever being of value. But maybe any percentage is better than some sh*t hole getting away with hurting me or you. Maybe Cycliq should have a registry where you leave a contact for giving the unit to if bad stuff happens out there on the road. Then your contact person can go after the bad guy.

I am going to buy one of these to see if it makes it easier to mount and to use on more than one bike:

Minoura SGS-300S 100mm Silver Space Grip Bicycle Light Computer Holder Road Bike.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291128243307
The OEM mounts are garbage. My seatpost Mount came apart after two days — the silicon peeled off. The Cycliq outfront mount is too short to fit a Garmin Edge 1030, which has the lap/start buttons on the bottom edge of the unit.

I use a Fizik saddle and a mount I found online to attach the Fly6 CE to saddle using the ACS system. https://www.shapeways.com/product/PD...li=marketplace. It works, but isn’t perfect. I have to use some duct tape to build up the top of the 1/4 turn mount to keep it from getting knocked out of the mount when jarred.

I use a Barfly on the front. The K-Edge XL is too short too.

Last edited by djg21; 09-06-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-06-2018, 07:47 AM

Cycliq

I found that the factory mounting system works really quite well.

I bought the factory front mount for the Fly 12 and use the provided seat post mount for the Fly 6.

They both work really well for me. As always, YMMV.

Patrick
Old 09-06-2018, 08:54 AM

Following this with keen interest. I nearly pulled the trigger on a Fly 6 and 12 in the past but the almost $500 price tag with "meh" reviews scared me off. Sadly, it seemed a better use of funds to up the life/dis insurance policies.

Why are these things still so expensive when you can get a pretty good 4k action camera for less than $100 these days? There are no-name cycling cams on Amazon for about $70 that claim to have 5h battery life and have ok reviews too. Anybody try one of those?