Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 09-01-2018, 05:52 PM

Garmin Fenix users... 3HR or 5 sapphire?

Is the difference enough to justify an extra $100?

I can get a factory refurb for $280 or a second-hand (lightly used) or the 5 sapphire for $375.

Or would someone recommend something different?
Old 09-01-2018, 11:08 PM

Depends what you are going to be using it for. The 5 has a few extra software features that the 3 will never get. Garmin has stopped updating the 3's firmware, although it does still regularly update the firmware of component parts e.g. bluetooth etc.

For what it's worth, I'm still using my Fenix 3 after about 3.5 years. Battery is still good and it does absolutely everything I need it to do.

If it were my money, I'd be getting the refurbed 3.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:12 AM
shimergo

Keep in mind the size difference as well. It's what swayed me to get a Fenix 5 rather than a 3HR. I don't use it on the bike (dedicated computer for that), but use it for my daily activity tracking off the bike.
Old 09-02-2018, 08:36 AM
Old, Fat & Slow

I bought a used Fenix 3 (no HR) for $175 a bit ago. Didn't realize how big/heavy that thing would be.

If you want a multi-sport watch, get a the top-end Garmin tri watch 'cause they're much lighter

M
Old 09-02-2018, 09:07 AM

Too many options...

I don't mind a big(ger) watch.
And I wear a mechanical watch day-in and day-out (a fairly hefty one), so this will simply be for exercise.

Interests, in order, include:
  • Tracking HR and distance while cycling. Distance is less important than HR.
  • Tracking XC skiing HR and distance would be nice with this, too, but not essential. We ski tracks at a destination, not backcountry.
  • Tracking HR while hiking. Again, not usually venturing where a map is essential, but I like the distance metric and the ability to get out if, for some reason, I get lost.
  • Tracking HR when running on the elliptical in the basement.
  • Tracking HR and distance when running. I hate running, but I do get out, on occassion, for the quick workout.

Economically, I'd rather spend a little more to get it "right", but man-o-man is this as confusing as any shopping I've done. Last night I convinced myself that I wanted to go with the Fenix-series. This morning I'm thinking that I want to look at the Ambit or Spartan series again (which I had convinced myself was NOT the way to go). For every review that advocates for one at the expense of the other, you can find one that says the opposite.

Ambit/Spartan does seem to be a little shorter $$-wise.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:21 AM

Depends on what you want it to do

I've had a fenix 3 for about a year, its big/clunky/heavy but its rock solid and the battery lasts a really long time. Like weeks. Can't say the same about a forerunner. They're lighter and more fragile in comparison

I wanted something passive that tracked activity and I don't care about current speed. One feature it has that I like is the ski function...and the find my phone

As with all current garmin products, synching with connect is seamless.

The 5 is prettier with more size options which I can understand. But I've been happy with the 3
Old 09-02-2018, 11:14 AM

I had a Fenix 3 briefly, then traded up to a 5. i found the screen and menu systems more intuitive.

Definitely worth the extra $...
Hot Tubes
LiteSpeed
SpeshFatboy
Old 09-02-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTCaraco View Post
I don't mind a big(ger) watch.
And I wear a mechanical watch day-in and day-out (a fairly hefty one), so this will simply be for exercise.

Interests, in order, include:
  • Tracking HR and distance while cycling. Distance is less important than HR.
  • Tracking XC skiing HR and distance would be nice with this, too, but not essential. We ski tracks at a destination, not backcountry.
  • Tracking HR while hiking. Again, not usually venturing where a map is essential, but I like the distance metric and the ability to get out if, for some reason, I get lost.
  • Tracking HR when running on the elliptical in the basement.
  • Tracking HR and distance when running. I hate running, but I do get out, on occassion, for the quick workout.

I do all that minus the ski stuff with a forerunner 25 and garmin connect. I’ve been thinking I might upgrade to the hr monitor on the wrist next year, but honestly the chest strap is perfectly adequate and I monitor my efforts just as well with avg. pace as I do with heart rate.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:04 PM

I am not a tech guy but I recently bought a fenix 5 sapphire and it has been great. Easy to setup, use, and navigate the menus. I use it for riding and running with the HR strap. I would recommend it.
Old 09-02-2018, 04:43 PM

Given the price of the Fenix series, I can understand the hesitation and second guessing. But if you need to be economically conscious about what you buy, then I would get the Fenix 3, and pass by the off brands. The Fenix series are good watches with suitably good quality. Garmin Connect has some good features, and the IQ app store has some unique widgets and the like. There is just a lot more flexibility with the Garmin.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:01 PM
Old, Fat & Slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
Given the price of the Fenix series, I can understand the hesitation and second guessing. But if you need to be economically conscious about what you buy, then I would get the Fenix 3, and pass by the off brands. The Fenix series are good watches with suitably good quality. Garmin Connect has some good features, and the IQ app store has some unique widgets and the like. There is just a lot more flexibility with the Garmin.
Digging thru the watch, it'll track whatever it is you wanna do from riding with power to swimming

I'll probably never use 3/4 of the stuff, but if I do, it's there.

M
Old 09-02-2018, 05:45 PM

If your running / training for marathons or ultra marathons, I find the fenix 5 to be a large heavy watch after extended miles. I had a fenix 5 which I sold and upgrade to the 935 which I found to be a far superior watch for long hours on the road. Being that I’m currently at 170# for a 6’2” large frame may have something to do with it. If you can borrow both from someone for a week and put them through there paces you may find you like the lighter watch for extended workouts.
Old 09-02-2018, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
It's more a case of paralysis between Suunto Ambit/Spartan and Garmin Fenix and then the labyrinth of choices.
I'd rather spend a little more and get the "right" watch then go for a deal and have lesser longevity, more issues, or otherwise outgrow it.

Both brands seem to have those that sing their praise and those that criticize. I was/am hoping that some similarly slanted folks from here could say more definitively one thing or the other.

Ultimately, I appreciate all the feedback.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:56 PM

I have and use the 5x sapphire. My recommendation is to get the sapphire. You'll thank yourself after the first time you whack it into something. I see lots of people with scratched up 3's and I know it would annoy me.
Old 09-02-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlfoss View Post
I have and use the 5x sapphire. My recommendation is to get the sapphire. You'll thank yourself after the first time you whack it into something. I see lots of people with scratched up 3's and I know it would annoy me.
My Garmin is a tool like my mtb, it’s going to get some battle scars. If they bother you, screen protectors are cheap and easily replaceable. Take both on a 5 hour training run and decide which works best for you.