Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2018, 12:06 PM

Valuation of 20- 40 year old steel bikes

is it me or are these two bikes listed at wishful thinking unrealistic asking prices? recent psa's for the chance and the masi:

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=225675

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=225663

very nice that forum members psa'd them and great examples of fine older steel bikes but i just do not see how the owners can reasonably think they will get those prices. i was thinking more in the range of $1000-$1200. forget that they are both very large size which also limits marketability. i really like the chance but i would be hard pressed to offer anything more. just trying to see if it is me or the sellers?

thanks for any thoughts.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:17 PM

These are very optimistic prices. I'd think half of that would be realistic, based on what I've sold. Old bikes high end bikes are great for buyers, not so much for sellers.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arimajol View Post
These are very optimistic prices. I'd think half of that would be realistic, based on what I've sold. Old bikes high end bikes are great for buyers, not so much for sellers.
Agreed. The Masi is a repaint (by good painter), but that limits its collectability IMO.

And although Christ Chance is a good builder, I don't think the cult following is there, although I could be wrong...
Old 08-01-2018, 12:22 PM

I don't know anything about the value of a Chris Chance, but the Masi is quite collectible and fairly priced IMHO....
Old 08-01-2018, 12:28 PM

As soon as "collectability" comes into the equation all logic goes out the window. Unless you actually have desire to collect, stay far away.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chaba View Post
I don't know anything about the value of a Chris Chance, but the Masi is quite collectible and fairly priced IMHO....
Was Confente the only builder during the "Confente years" period? If not, is there a way to prove that Mario actually built that frame?

If so, then it would probably be worth what is being asked. A true Confente frame can really command a high price as only something like 135 were ever made. So you will find Confente framesets going for like $8000 or more.

One thing about US made Masi is there were a number of builder including: Mario Confente, Brian Baylis, Jim Cunningham, Mike Howard, Gian Simonetti, Joe Starck, David Tesch and Albert Eisentraut. There may have been other builders too.

Chris Chance, he's one of the top builders on the New England Framebuilder trees:

link: http://www.anglesandpoise.com/2012/n...cle-bloodline/

Good Luck!
Old 08-01-2018, 12:37 PM
I need you cool.

the real question is: can you retrofit them for disc brakes?

just kidding.......
Old 08-01-2018, 12:38 PM

No value in a 60cm frame of that vintage
Old 08-01-2018, 12:42 PM
Small ring

I think the Chance is somewhat rare. I'm not sure how many were made. I passed on a fillet brazed one a few years ago, because it had a huge dent in the top tube.
Old 08-01-2018, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfd View Post
Was Confente the only builder during the "Confente years" period? If not, is there a way to prove that Mario actually built that frame?

If so, then it would probably be worth what is being asked. A true Confente frame can really command a high price as only something like 135 were ever made. So you will find Confente framesets going for like $8000 or more.

One thing about US made Masi is there were a number of builder including: Mario Confente, Brian Baylis, Jim Cunningham, Mike Howard, Gian Simonetti, Joe Starck, David Tesch and Albert Eisentraut. There may have been other builders too.

Chris Chance, he's one of the top builders on the New England Framebuilder trees:

link: http://www.anglesandpoise.com/2012/n...cle-bloodline/

CHART

Good Luck!
That's a really cool chart! I've been thinking about making a similar chart for just titanium builders - know of any existing charts?
Old 08-01-2018, 12:51 PM

The vast majority of PSAs posted recently have been dramatically overpriced. Kind of defeats the purpose, IMO.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:16 PM

If you think the Chance is unrealistic, when it was first listed a year or more ago, was something like $3900. Unmotivated seller thinking, "well its kind of rare so if I can get a premium price, why not try?" No harm in keeping it and enjoying it if it doesn't sell... I'd guess that is the mindset.
Not all PSA's are, or need to be, because it is a smoking deal, some are just rare bikes that are fun to see.

Last edited by cmbicycles; 08-01-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:41 PM

If I didn't have a 1975 Masi GC in that size, I'd be tempted, assuming I could knock 10% off the asking price. I did the 90-mile Eroica California on my Masi in April and it was great on pavement and 25 miles of dirt. I also have a TIG Chance from a half-dozen years later than this lugged frame, and mine rides great. If this lugged Chance's top tube were a centimeter shorter, I'd try to see if I could make a deal for it.

Both are great and rare bikes that aren't made anymore. I'd say if you have the means, pull the trigger.

Last edited by Waldo; 08-01-2018 at 04:56 PM.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:17 PM

As an accumulator of bikes from this era I’d say they are both optimistic. Mine are all 57.5-59 cm, so a slightly more marketable size. My Masi is 100% original and if I could get near $2k, I’d probably take it. This one with a repaint is a ~$1,200 bike on a great day.

The Chance is not as far off in my mind. Early example, Baylis paint, nice big hurt by size. Say $1,500-1,600 on a good day.

Just need the right buyer. If the Chance was smaller and the Bike fund wasn’t depleted, I might be the right buyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2018, 03:06 PM

A clean (albeit repaint) twin plate Masi will not be cheap. Regardless of size. I’d love to see an example of one selling for ~1k.

That’s a member’s bike and if I wouldn’t have a kitchen reno and landscaping project going on at the same time I would have bought it already. Even with the vintage market going south.