Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 05:08 PM

Charles Krauthammer

As if the news of Anthony Bourdain today wasn't bad enough, now this:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/opini...cid=spartanntp
Old 06-08-2018, 05:39 PM

There is only one Charles, and that's so unfortunate.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplemind View Post
There is only one Charles, and that's so unfortunate.
Given his disastrous views on foreign policy, I consider it a blessing there's only one of him.

All the best to him in whatever time he has left.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:49 PM

That's a bummer. I really enjoyed his insight on current affairs.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:53 PM

A person of class, insight and intellect. Its tragic that we are going to lose him. Whether one agreed with him or not, he always provided a reasoned response.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnhood View Post
A person of class, insight and intellect. Its tragic that we are going to lose him. Whether one agreed with him or not, he always provided a reasoned response.

Exactly. Class.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashUNC View Post
Given his disastrous views on foreign policy, I consider it a blessing there's only one of him.
I sincerely feel sorry for you as a human. This has nothing to do with politics.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fignon's barber View Post
I sincerely feel sorry for you as a human. This has nothing to do with politics.
He was a political commentator. It has everything to do with politics. The only reason you know him is his politics.

He wasn't Charles Krauthammer your local bus driver.

What is happening to him is sad and I feel for him as a fellow person. But he pushed poisonous foreign policy ideas that led to the worst post-war foreign policy decision this country made. And he has refused to acknowledge he might have gotten that one wrong.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:40 PM

**** it....
Old 06-08-2018, 08:52 PM

There's A Time To Let Arguments Go, That Time Is Now

Harsh news to hear of a fellow human being struck and yet still viable. Think of the weight of knowing your time of expiration and how you cope those last few days, how do you even function?

At one’s end all swords are laid down and respect is given for the good in the fallen, for we all posses both good and bad, and we show respect for the grieving family just as we would our own.

There are many good reasons to damn a man but populous views counter to mine aren’t one of them and at this time, again, as a human being, I hope him comfort and peace.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post
Harsh news to hear of a fellow human being struck and yet still viable. Think of the weight of knowing your time of expiration and how you cope those last few days, how do you even function?

At one’s end all swords are laid down and respect is given for the good in the fallen, for we all posses both good and bad, and we show respect for the grieving family just as we would our own.

There are many good reasons to damn a man but populous views counter to mine aren’t one of them and at this time, again, as a human being, I hope him comfort and peace.
Well said.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnette View Post

I wish I could have your capacity for forgiveness in face of the numbers:

4,500 American troops dead. 35,000 wounded, many maimed for life.
17,000 post-occupation Iraqi Security Forces dead. 40,000 wounded.

As many as 600,000 Iraqis dead, by some estimates.

A 15 year war that continues today that, as of 5 years ago, already cost this country $2 trillion that could accrue to $6 trillion with interest over the next few decades. Nearly a half-trillion in veterans benefits alone for the wounded.

This wasn't some empty thought experiment, a parlor discussion where gentlemen disagreed. Thousands died because of views he espoused for years, including promoting that this would be a quick, painless and inexpensive venture for all parties involved.

His struggle the last 10 months with cancer is, I'm sure, agonizing and this news of recurrence no less devastating.

But I cannot separate the man from what made him who he is and why we know him, particularly when it seems the war he wanted America to fight so much nearly two decades ago will now outlive him.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:22 PM
North of 49th

Quote:
He was a political commentator. It has everything to do with politics. The only reason you know him is his politics.

He wasn't Charles Krauthammer your local bus driver.

What is happening to him is sad and I feel for him as a fellow person. But he pushed poisonous foreign policy ideas that led to the worst post-war foreign policy decision this country made. And he has refused to acknowledge he might have gotten that one wrong.
Yes, he's Charles Krauthammer, the guy known to many as a political commentator. He is also a fellow Montrealer, as well as a classmate and a friend of my wife's. A little respect, please, for him, his family and his friends.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:24 PM

A Waste

Quote:
I wish I could have your capacity for forgiveness in face of the numbers:

4,500 American troops dead. 35,000 wounded, many maimed for life.
17,000 post-occupation Iraqi Security Forces dead. 40,000 wounded.

As many as 600,000 Iraqis dead, by some estimates.

A 15 year war that continues today that, as of 5 years ago, already cost this country $2 trillion that could accrue to $6 trillion with interest over the next few decades. Nearly a half-trillion in veterans benefits alone for the wounded.

This wasn't some empty thought experiment, a parlor discussion where gentlemen disagreed. Thousands died because of views he espoused for years, including promoting that this would be a quick, painless and inexpensive venture for all parties involved.

His struggle the last 10 months with cancer is, I'm sure, agonizing and this news of recurrence no less devastating.

But I cannot separate the man from what made him who he is and why we know him, particularly when it seems the war he wanted America to fight so much nearly two decades ago will now outlive him.
What a waste to argue with one who wishes nothing more than to argue.

One thing that can be said is that in your place of being no rocks were to be found, you had thrown them all.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cdn View Post
Yes, he's Charles Krauthammer, the guy known to many as a political commentator. He is also a fellow Montrealer, as well as a classmate and a friend of my wife's. A little respect, please, for him, his family and his friends.
My condolences and sympathies.
Closed Thread