Know the rules The Paceline Forum Builder's Spotlight

Go Back   The Paceline Forum > General Discussion

Old 02-21-2018, 11:25 AM

Can we talk CBDs?

So having had 4 back surgeries and a 4 level fusion, I am in constant pain. I’ve been taking vicodin for 20 plus years. Although I seem to tolerate the hydrocodone ok and usually take 1.5 - 2 tablets daily, I know I’ve had some side effects including stomach issues. The Vicodin masks the pain, does not elevate it, but along with persistent stretching, hot tub, and keeping my body lean, I am able to manage although it is a constant problem.

A few months ago I tried CBD capsules, Floyd of Leadville actually. Within a few days I noticed the pain level was noticeably less, much less. I tried the capsules for a month but purposely let them run out. When I quit talking them, the pain came back.

I then started on the oil and am convinced. Yesterday I had a tooth pulled and two implants put in. Tremendous pain. Doubled up on the oil and had noticeable relief.

So with all that said, I’m now a believer, but feel I have lots to learn if I’m going to get the most bang for the buck. This stuff is not cheap!

So what do I need to know about CBDs? For example....

Are there different strengths?
How do I know the most effective dosage?
Is the CBD oil that is available only by prescription in Texas ( we just legalized CBD oil ONLY for epilepsy and only by prescription) different than the CBD oil that can e purchased w/o a prescription - say Floyd’s?

CBDs seem to offer a lot of promise but there’s also a lot of confusion, hype, and snake-oil like claims out there.

How do I become an informed consumer?
Old 02-21-2018, 11:36 AM
Everyone's Favorite Droid

I too am interested in this - also as a potential anti-inflammatory.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:36 AM

Here is my take: Remember, this comes from a plant, and not all plants are grown equally well, no matter if it has the strain name or not. and the activation of the goods is still being sorted out, some some products give you more bang for your buck so to speak. So it is very difficult to be consistent with dosing. That being said, I have found it to be about finding a supply you can trust for consistent quality, and accepting that "batches" will be slightly different in their effectiveness. And due to the newness of sharing experiences from a medical perspective, Its also difficult to get your dose right, despite my small stature i seem to metabolize this product very fast compared to others, so my dosage will vary from yours to achieve the same result. So really you have to experiment to find whats right for you. (don't worry, its fun!)

And for reference, I suffer from chronic back pain from breaking my back at age 23, and some significant knee and hip issues from 3 acl/meniscus surgeries on my left knee. Yoga and CBDs in the evening sometimes have really helped more than anything. Just have to keep moving.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:02 PM

Please pay attention to your state's laws where ever you are. Whether or not you think this is a good idea may not coincide with the law. More pain may follow if you break the law and get caught.

As an alternative, you might try Meloxicam prescribed by your doctor. I have found it to be very helpful.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:05 PM

CBD Oil

I purchased some from my local juice bar. I am a firm believer in finding non-prescription solutions to my chronic knee pain. I have had a pile of surgeries from playing sports as a kid and now have to deal with daily pain. I will admit to being a periodic user of NSAIDs, but only when it gets really bad or on really long rides where I am sure I will have some big discomfort.

Currently, my go to is daily Tumeric and Ginger in pill form and when I have the chance a GTL shot. I tried the CBD oil at a fairly high dose and honestly I did not notice any real improvement, but maybe its because of the GTL. I support the use of CBD, everything points to it being useful for chronic inflammation and pain, so if it works keep using it and keep up with the literature regarding the efficacy of the product.

Ray
Old 02-21-2018, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryA View Post
Please pay attention to your state's laws where ever you are. Whether or not you think this is a good idea may not coincide with the law. More pain may follow if you break the law and get caught.
Legal in all 50 states.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mzilliox View Post
So really you have to experiment to find whats right for you. (don't worry, its fun!)
CBD doesn't get you high...
Old 02-21-2018, 01:08 PM
aka RAEKWON

I have some CBD pills, have taken them here and there. I dunno, they don't do much to me for some reason. Maybe I need to up the dose
Old 02-21-2018, 01:13 PM

CBD extracted from (illegal) marijuana is more effective, but CBD from legal hemp works, too.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:36 PM
bourbon!

The larger CBD oil companies have details on the potency of each batch listed. My son has been on Haliegh's Hope for seizure control for a while and the company has been very good about answering detailed questions about dosages/potency/drug interactions/etc.

I'd start with the company and see what info they can give you.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:42 PM

It's not, as far I know, legal in all 50 states. Here in Indiana it was legalized a year or so ago for treatment of childhood epilepsy. Pharmacies and healthfood stores stocked it, but the grandstanding state attorney general had the state police pull it off the shelves for awhile, fearing a 'slippery slope' to legalized marijuana (even though it contains essentially no THC). Then they backed off and now the legislature has, or soon will pass, a correction, allowing it to be purchased legally.

I've known people who swear by it and others not so much. Seems to have no downside and we need a viable alternative to opiates.

The problem I've read about is that since it's not regulated by the FDA, it's the Wild West as far as guaranteeing consistency of product. Labeled amounts are frequently not what's measured by a lab, so one doesn't know if failure to benefit is due to inadequate dosing.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:45 PM

I used cbd to rid myself of the opiods I was prescribed for years after a bad foot and ankle injury. CBD has its anti inflammatory value and THC where legal alleviates pain. I'm a firm believer in both for those in chronic pain.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:12 PM

I really want to try some too for minor aches and pains. I was going to order some Floyd’s. There’s a drunkcyclist.com coupon code of “highcyclist” that 15% off. The stuff isn’t cheap!

Dirt Rag did a review recently: http://dirtragmag.com/review-floyds-...-cbd-hemp-oil/
Old 02-21-2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .RJ View Post
Legal in all 50 states.
Quick google search:
https://merryjane.com/news/tennessee...al-cbd-edibles

Its worth paying attention.
Old 02-21-2018, 03:53 PM

can you share the brand/etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
Currently, my go to is daily Tumeric and Ginger in pill form Ray